Wood & Veneer scores

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Went to a yard sale of an old guy who used to own an exotic woods store and was selling off his last remaining bits. I still have to go get some Pink ivory and cocobolo :)

I got all this veneer for $4!!!
Veneers- Maple, Paduak (?), purple heart, Little bits of zebra, ebony, brazilian rw. Box of bits

Each piece of wood cost $5. Scores were the nice bits of 2" thick Spanish Cedar, Oregon Myrtle and bloodwood.

Left to right- Basswood, bloodwood, alder, spanish cedar, oregon myrtle, jatoba, bullet and my foot is on some figured english walnut.

Ziricote was $1 for both

Jewelry box is Maple from Homedepo

woods 015.jpgwoods 008.jpgBeau web 025.jpg]42612[/ATTACH]woods 012.jpg

Attachments

• woods 009.jpg
    woods 009.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 50
Congratulations on the excellent score.

How will you use the veneers? I have a bunch in the basement I was thinking of laminating for use as sides and backs.

- Veneer will be mostly used as purfling on my bound fingerboards and headstocks.- it should last a few decades! I might make some bindings too.
- The bit of Brazilian rw will make 2 headstock veneers.
- Ziricote will be bridges and bookmatched headstock veneers.
- Bullet, Jatoba and english walnut not sure about- i've never seen them used as tonewoods- jewelry boxes perhaps?
- Spanish cedar will be a few necks but mostly component parts for arm bevels and scoop cutaways, as will the basswood
-Oregon Myrtle is back/sides/tops
- bloodwood- probably back/sides- i built a great parlor guitar out of bloodwood, but it is a very heavy wood.

Top Bottom