Baritone Uke - $500 or less

Welcome to UU, grog.

Pono is selling factory second baritone ukes on ebay right now. The links are here (Pono MB) and here (Pono MBD). If you don't mind a scratch or two, these seconds are the best deals around. (I have no affiliation with Pono---but I do constantly look for good deals on baritone ukes online. It's a hobby. Heh.)

If you end up getting the Loprinzi, though, be sure to let us know how it feels and sounds. Those are beautiful ukes.

I have a Pono solid mahogany baritone that I really like.

Welcome to UU, grog.

Pono is selling factory second baritone ukes on ebay right now. The links are here (Pono MB) and here (Pono MBD). If you don't mind a scratch or two, these seconds are the best deals around. (I have no affiliation with Pono---but I do constantly look for good deals on baritone ukes online. It's a hobby. Heh.)

These are great deals for minor blemishes. (I recently bought a Pono 6-string tenor manufactured second on eBay from the same seller, and I'm still not sure why it was a manufactured second.) I'm tempted to buy one of these and I already have one.....

Last edited:
There is, what appears to be, a very nice Pono Mahogany Baritone with Schatten Pickup on Flea Market Music right now for a remarkable price...

The pictures aren't great and you might want to ask the seller some questions about condition but I've been performing onstage for the past two years with the exact same model. It is a very nice option.

Mike

I bought a refurb Pono 6 string tenor recently...can't find any blemishes on it, intonation perfect, nice low action. At $259, not sure the Loprinzi is worth more than twice as much, although I'll bet it sounds sweet.

There is, what appears to be, a very nice Pono Mahogany Baritone with Schatten Pickup on Flea Market Music right now for a remarkable price...

The pictures aren't great and you might want to ask the seller some questions about condition but I've been performing onstage for the past two years with the exact same model. It is a very nice option.

Mike
I bought it today so it's no longer available. sorry but I'm a sucker for a good deal on a bari. been wanting to try a Pono, I've heard lots of good things about them.

Pono mahogany. I really enjoy mine. Bought deluxe, but I'd have been just as pleased with the basic model. Those eBay ukes are worth a look. My factory second Koaloha sounds great and cost a lot less than list.

I have a Pono Mahogany and it's a great Baritone uke, excellent value. I also have a vintage Favilla Baritone that cost about the same as the Pono and is absolutely beautiful - it's the uke of my dreams. I'll bet though, that the Loprinzi is a step up from the Pono and if you can afford it, I'd suggest you buy it! I vote Loprinzi!

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like Pono is a good choice. Anyone else have experience with the Bruceweiart Musical Instrument Shop in Vietnam that member The Village Woodworker posted the link to?

I would definitely look at Pono, my dad has two of them and they are really nice.

I don't know if this factors into the selection, but this bari uke will not be used to play "typical" vocal uke music such as tin pan alley or Hawaiian songs. It will be played with a thin plectrum and used to accompany and backup instrumental old-time and Irish fiddle tunes. Don't know if any of you are familiar with Linda Higginbotham who plays banjo uke with old-time fiddler Brad Leftwich, or the virtuoso Irish guitarist and rhythm master John Doyle, but that is the inspiration. Played this way the uke has an almost washboard or bodhran (Irish drum) sound, with it all being about the rhythm of the right hand/picking hand and the left hand/fretting hand doing basic open chords that act as tonal changes in the rhythm.

I have a Kala ASAC-B bari that I have been playing about a year. It sounded great when new and just keeps getting better. Nice looking and appears to be well made too. At about $350 it's hard to beat. I haven't played a Pono bari but you should compare the two if possible...or maybe just buy them both. Good luck.

I don't know if this factors into the selection, but this bari uke will not be used to play "typical" vocal uke music such as tin pan alley or Hawaiian songs. It will be played with a thin plectrum and used to accompany and backup instrumental old-time and Irish fiddle tunes. Don't know if any of you are familiar with Linda Higginbotham who plays banjo uke with old-time fiddler Brad Leftwich, or the virtuoso Irish guitarist and rhythm master John Doyle, but that is the inspiration. Played this way the uke has an almost washboard or bodhran (Irish drum) sound, with it all being about the rhythm of the right hand/picking hand and the left hand/fretting hand doing basic open chords that act as tonal changes in the rhythm.
I contra danced to a band[their name escapes me] who had a banjo uke player that played the way you are describing, so you may be better off with a banjolele. he really drove the rhythm home!

Looking for suggestions on a good baritone uke in the $300 to $500 range. Was thinking Luna High Tide? Pono? Or is it worth stepping up to the LoPrinzi Model A Mahogany at $660?

thanks

I've got a gold label Kamaka bari (ca. 1965) that I've been hoping to place in a good home. I'd be happy to make it available to you for the price of a new Pono, if that sounds reasonable.

I've got a gold label Kamaka bari (ca. 1965) that I've been hoping to place in a good home. I'd be happy to make it available to you for the price of a new Pono, if that sounds reasonable.

Wow that is a super kamaka deal...I'd jump on it...You will never see deal like Jim is offering to you...believe me gold label kamaka whew... wow jim, do do have any other good deals..hee hee

Top Bottom