My Kamaka Factory Tour 2012

Trinimon

Reaction score
Finally got through some 1700+ images I took during my trip in June/July.

Here's the pics from my Kamaka factory tour. You've GOT to add this tour along with the KoAloaha one when next you're in Oahu! Sadly I missed out on the KoAloha one but I'll be back.

Fred Kamaka demonstrating My Dog Has Fleas.
7933846366_a8c044c9ce_c.jpg

Showing off the various sizes... a baritone in this instance.
7797642494_e2ff0ddc20_c.jpg

Explaining the cost of wood and what Koa is to their industry.
7933792016_8dbcbcdef3_c.jpg

Bookmatching...
7933789064_fb0397418f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Playing a few bars on a 6-string Liliu.
7933810696_d953b8be6e_c.jpg

...and a spruce top Ohta San.
7933806808_2b30f0aeda_c.jpg

Pointing out his dad and founder or Kamaka Ukulele, Samuel Kaialiilii Kamaka.
7933804204_1fa8eb77d6_c.jpg

Installing the bracing on a ukulele's soundboard.
7797641788_f9bbfffb1a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, now that be some 'ukulele history walking. I'd love to see some more pics with some narrative if you get the time. How many Ukes did you come home with?

Great shots! Share more? What was the best part?

Explaining the various bracing system Kamaka uses in their ukuleles.
7933800792_5172fabde7_c.jpg

Demonstrating the more efficient bending equipment.
7933797776_12a604ab28_c.jpg

Adding the serial number...
7797640602_10d0090576_c.jpg

Concert Sail design headstocks ready for installation.
7797646978_0016556d77_c.jpg

Celebrity Kamaka owners' photos in the showroom.
7882862848_496f2f2306_c.jpg

There might be a few I didn't bother posting but can't show you EVERYTHING or I'd ruin your tour. :)

Great shots, Carlton! Looks like you had a great time. Any new additions?

Love the concert headstocks pic.

Thanks for posting Trinimon. I love looking at these tour photos and videos. I'll get there someday.

Wow, now that be some 'ukulele history walking. I'd love to see some more pics with some narrative if you get the time. How many Ukes did you come home with?

I'd love to narrate but I don't have a voice for that and it wouldn't be the same as hearing it directly from Mr. Fred Kamaka himself.. or should that be Uncle Kamaka? Oh, if I wasn't limited by available funds, I'd have ordered one of each size uke! Love that pineapple!

Off topic here but how does one get designated as "Uncle" in Hawaii? I know growing up in the Caribbean, we'd call any older friend of the family "uncle" and "aunty" but is that the same in Hawaiian culture?

Great shots! Share more? What was the best part?

Mahalo! For me, while I thought the tour was very informative on the company's beginnings, production and values of the Kamaka name, I think the best part was the candid moments with Fred with just a peek at their personal lives and the childhood stories of them growing up. You get that same feeling you get if you've ever sat down with your parents or more so your grandparents and listening to what they did as a child etc. You walk out feeling a bit like ohana... until you see the bill for your brand new "special" order uke! lol

I did manage to capture some video of the candid moments with Fred Kamaka. I'm working on splicing the clips together but my computer seems to be getting sluggish just like me these days.

Great photos, thank you for sharing them

Thanks, my pleasure.

Great shots, Carlton! Looks like you had a great time. Any new additions?

Love the concert headstocks pic.

Thanks. Yeah, I came home with this HF3-S and a lot lighter wallet. The date stamp on it missed my birthday by a few days! Shucks! lol

7740227456_79a7d82a9c_c.jpg

Off topic here but how does one get designated as "Uncle" in Hawaii? I know growing up in the Caribbean, we'd call any older friend of the family "uncle" and "aunty" but is that the same in .

Oh please start this as a new thread. If you don't, I will. Growing up a US military Brat I had many non blood Uncles that I love. Would love to hear how it goes elsewhere.

Wonderful pictures! Thanks so much for taking the time to share. I don't know if I will ever get to Hawaii, so I really appreciate that you shared your tour with us. What fun and what fantastic instruments!

Amazing slideshow pics! You have a terrific eye (and camera!). Gourmet donkey balls!

Amazing slideshow pics! You have a terrific eye (and camera!). Gourmet donkey balls!

Thanks Lideruke. I never got the Donkey Balls candy thing in Hawaii. Supposedly started 14 odd yrs ago. That cat sleeping with the Donkey Balls was the original store up in Kainaliu. lol

Thanks. Yeah, I came home with this HF3-S and a lot lighter wallet. The date stamp on it missed my birthday by a few days! Shucks! lol

7740227456_79a7d82a9c_c.jpg

Wow. Forgot you had said you ordered one to coincide with your trip. Gonna need a full review on that beauty. The racing stripe is awesome. Congrats and enjoy.

Top Bottom