1950's Favilla - to buy or not to buy?

UKEonomics

Reaction score
I spotted a 1950's Favilla soprano at the antique store today. Wasn't allowed to take pictures, but found this listing on Elderly for what looks to be the exact same uke.

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/180U-825.htm

I'm hoping that some of you can chime in and tell me whether or not it's worth the $95 price tag.
It's nearly perfect condition - not a scratch or a ding on it and very VERY minimal wear. It also comes with it's original case.

I don't know all that much about Favilla ukes. I've read that they have come up in value in recent years and that they tend to be good players.

Thoughts and comments would be very much appreciated!

were you allowed to play it? that should tell you everything you need to know. solid vintage mahog, USA made. if it isn't falling apart I'd buy it.

I have two Favilla ukuleles, a mahogany teardrop and a mahogany soprano similar to the one at Elderly. I can tell you, these are quality instruments! I love my Favilla's and if I spotted a good one for $95, I would grab it in a second. Check the condition, but if it is in reasonably good shape that is a great price.

Even if it had fixable issues like a stable crack or a little separation of top or back it would be a steal. They currently run around $400 with some dings, more if minty, $300+ if less so. I have a soprano and it rocks.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm convinced that I need to go back and grab it. $300-$400. Dang...they must really be a hot commodity.

Are all these Favillas solid mahogany?

I've got one in the marketplace for $275 so yes you should jump on it at $95!!

KInd of like a "poor man's vintage Martin O"...for less than $100, run, don't walk.

Yes AFAIK a;; are nice mahogany and all that wood is really nice OLD 'hog now. I think also think like Phil that Favilla gives Martin a run for the money.

I got a favilla soprano from the 50´s and it is a great option if you can´t afford a vintage martin. I have a martin style 0 and I cant decide wich one is better.

Maybe Favilla isn't a poor man's Martin, but Martin is an over priced Favilla? :) Sorry couldn't help myself.

Maybe Favilla isn't a poor man's Martin, but Martin is an over priced Favilla? :) Sorry couldn't help myself.

Bravo Chris! I hear the old quote every time I pull out a Favilla....but they are not pretending to be a Martin. In fact, Favilla built ukuleles on the mainland BEFORE Martin did!

Bought it today! My second inspection revealed a little more wear...funny how it can vary from the first to second look. Anyway, still in awesome shape and tuned it up and it sounds incredible! Even with the old strings I can tell that it really pops. I'll post some pics soon...

Next question, Gotta get some new strings for this guy. Recommendations? My default has traditionally been Aquilas, but I'm open to suggestions. Perhaps some Martin M600's?

Oh YES to the Martin M600s. They are my favorite strings for my solid wood ukes.

But your mileage may vary. You might not like the bell/chime clarity of the martins. I love them on my Ohanas, and switched out the grating bright strings that the ukes came with.

I always like Worths on mahogany, but I have a set of Martins to try out on a.... drumroll.... Martin! if I am lucky.

Top Bottom