Best Low G Tenor String Set

mike hardee

Reaction score
When I decided to string my Kanile'a tenor low G I first just replaced the G string with a round wound low G from a set of Ko'olau Mahana's. Not pleasing ... the wound G boomed in comparison to the Worth CT trebles I was using, with too much sustain.

Looking over the forums I noticed that both Chuck Moore and William King recommended the same set for low G: Savarez Corum 504 RH low G and Savarez Alliance KF 541 R, 542 R and 543 R for the trebles.

I bought the singles from JustStrings and put them on the other day and am really pleased.

The polished wound low G is a soft as the plain C and definitely does not boom. Squeaks much less than the round wound. The tone is very close to the plain C. You know you are still playing a wound string but the transition is very good.

Clarity and sustain of the trebles is better to my ear than the Worth CT's. With the Savarez strings tension and volume across the strings is matched, as you would expect.

I've got a set of low G strings I can live with now. However, I've noticed some favourable comments about the Savarez Alliance KF91 and KF95 plain low G.

I'd have to open up the nut slot to accommodate any plain low G, which I am hesistant to do without a compelling reason, considering how good the 504RH sounds.

If anyone is playing the Savarez KF91 or KF95 plain low G string with the Savarez trebles can you please share your thoughts?

Last edited:
My thoughts; I like the Savarez 540 trebles and as you said, good resonance and clarity and I've paired with the Aranjuez AR700-04. It blends well and creates a good balance. You may also look into the Southcoast linear string sets (G650). The G & C are wound and E & A strings are fluoro. Very nice balance, tone, clarity and playability. Noise factor on the wounds are considerably less than other wound strings.

+1 for the Southcoast Linear sets. There is a flat wound set that is truly remarkable and smooth and quiet. I have found all the Linear sets to be excellent tonally: well balanced across all strings, and clear with good volume.

i like the savarez alliance top 3 strings with a PHD or Living Water LowG..they sound more clear to me..and softer on my fingers..i also have some 520R red card plan on trying on different ukes..

Top Bottom