Calling all single UK Uke players!

Thames TV

Reaction score
‘Take Me Out’ is back! Paddy McGuiness is on the hunt for single guys and girls who have what it takes to bag themselves a date on the beautiful Isle of Fernando. Take Me Out is auditioning across the country in September and we want to hear from you! Call 0207 691 6050 for an application form! We have never before had a uke player, malke or female, so would love to hear from as many of you as possible!

Good grief.... *rolls eyes* - so a tv company that makes trashy Saturday night tv shows, sets up an account here to post this.....

Speechless.

Funny thing is, they don't see the irony hahahahaha.

Some tired old TV network with re runs of 1970's rubbish and dwindling audiences have had to resort to begging on the internet for people to watch them. 10 years ago they would have laughed at us and tried making some childish put down remarks about us at the end of a newscast, now they are so desperate for any viewers they are paying someone to troll the forums. It's hillarious.

I hope they read our standard advertising rates before they posted, our fees here on UU for unsolicited ads are 25 thousand usd per 30 seconds, how long has their post been up now ? Do you want me to phone them and ask for the cheque, I will gladly do that, I guess then we share out the profits between the members, fantastic, thanks Thames TV, whoever the F%#* you are.

Look forward to seeing free advertisements for UU broadcast on your TV station too, 24 hours a day of course.

Someone close this stupid thread and send these dinosaurs packing please !

Hey, where's your Aloha spirit? ;-) Some people might find it fun to audition to be the "ukulele lass/lad" on a TV show, don't hate on it.

FYI: Thames TV is the fine network that gave us classics such as 'Benny Hill' and 'Mr Bean'. Strangely enough, it doesn't exist anymore, and Take Me Out is on ITV. Go figure.

Hey, where's your Aloha spirit? ;-) Some people might find it fun to audition to be the "ukulele lass/lad" on a TV show, don't hate on it.

FYI: Thames TV is the fine network that gave us classics such as 'Benny Hill' and 'Mr Bean'. Strangely enough, it doesn't exist anymore, and Take Me Out is on ITV. Go figure.

Benny Hill !!! are you serious, infantile racist homophobic biggotry of the highest degree. Degrading to women, insulting to the IQ of anyone with half a brain. It wasn't funny in 1970, it wasn't funny the 100's of times they have repeated it and it sure as hell aint funny now.

I have daughters and the thought of them living in a world where Benny Hill mentality is valued makes me cold to the bone. I stopped watching the idiot box in 1987, and life has been much richer and fuller because of that decision.

Main stream media is responsible for the dumbing down of generations of people, it's an embarrassment to anyone that values human conscious evolution.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? Hahaha!

I was being slightly ironic ;-) Tbh the only things I remember about Benny Hill are the intro sequence with the buildings reflected on water, some of the music and something about lots of people running very fast. That and that it was rather silly. Too young to remember anything else! And I don't actually watch much TV myself given that I don't own a set.

I just think the initial post wasn't spam, it was just a cordial invitation to audition for a TV show. We are all entitled to an opinion about the impact of television on Western society, but there's no need to get rude towards the OP. If you need to recruit people from a specific community for something, you generally go to their online platform and send out a call for participation. It's standard practice in academia as well.

Is the OP going to come back be a contributing member of the forum? No. It's spam.

I agree with 98% of what Webby said, except that the B-movie edit sketches were pretty funny, but that's about it. AND that for all the crap that's on TV, we're really in another golden age of it. Look at the quality of acting and writing on the top dramas and comedies. Even the music. I mean sure most of the scores are synth or outsourced to other countries, but there's some real composers on tv now. It's better than movies, who all just try to paint-by-numbers nowadays.

Yeah ok, it's a thread hijack, but why not try to make a nice discussion out of what was just spam anyway. :)

You know, I wouldn't categorise this as plain spam.

It seems to be a genuine post. It is uke related in so far as the OP's company seems to recognise the popularity of the instrument and is inviting uke players to apply. OK, so there's a commercial aspect for the OP, but some here may also decide to view it as an opportunity.

With that in mind, thanks for the spam reports, but unless another mod or Ryan overrules me I'm letting it ride - even though the OP may never return.

Please keep it on topic. That topic is the invitation to apply to participate on the show - with maybe a bit of drift into ukes on TV in general etc. I'd say general insulting and bashing of TV companies and unrelated TV shows is off topic.

EDIT: FYI, the Thames brand is operational and does produce this show.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Might want to rethink "bag a date" as your key phrase, though. It's super objectifying.

are you guys kidding me: remote island, ukulele, dates, TV stardom, all paid for- what is not to like?

It is the mods call, but this message is now cropping up everywhere including my inbox, and the inbox of several other people I know....

The irony for me is that I saw the thread title and was briefly VERY excited!

I have this continuous frustration at not being in touch with anyone else who plays and thought this might be the beginning of something beautiful in my burgeoning ukulele career.

Alas not - just an invitation from the producers of one of the more depressing examples of what the British public sees as a worthy way to spend their precious time!

As for Benny Hill - careful with the insults there. He's widely regarded as having been a bit of a comic genius. His material and style sometimes reflected the society of the times, foir which he was not personally accountable. He was a very talented comic (and straight) actor. And as for the Thames TV logo - brings back too many memories of far too much of my childhood spent in front of the goggle box!

Ben

It is the mods call, but this message is now cropping up everywhere including my inbox, and the inbox of several other people I know....
Baz, you're getting spam PMs from the OP?

And where else is this cropping up?

Last edited:
Top Bottom