KoAloha tenor neck soprano or Kiwaya KTS 6 ?

shane v

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a nice soprano and i'm trying to choose between a KoAloha tenor neck soprano and a Kiwaya KTS 6. I already have a Kiwaya ks1 which I love the sound of, but the kts6 has 17 frets and it's solid... But what about that tenor neck on the KoAloha (it sure sounds good on the HMS video). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Whatever one you chose, you'll wish you would have bought the other. So why not just buy both of them?

the soprano body, tenor neck of Koaloha is surprisingly loud and has the great playability of the tenor neck, also sound construction (lots of tension on the small body, of course), it is also still a great bargain, the balance is the only issue as it is a bit neck heavy.
I'm in the market for a nice soprano and i'm trying to choose between a KoAloha tenor neck soprano and a Kiwaya KTS 6. I already have a Kiwaya ks1 which I love the sound of, but the kts6 has 17 frets and it's solid... But what about that tenor neck on the KoAloha (it sure sounds good on the HMS video). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

the soprano body, tenor neck of Koaloha is surprisingly loud and has the great playability of the tenor neck, also sound construction (lots of tension on the small body, of course), it is also still a great bargain, the balance is the only issue as it is a bit neck heavy.

What he said. Yes.

isn't kind of wierd a soprano body with tenor neck?
why not a tenor uke??
if you are searching for a tenor neck, i guess you're looking for comfort for left hand.

if u have a tenor neck, the lenght of the scale and string tension will be oriented to a lower tonal range.
the soprano body (smaller) will enhance higher tones

i think it's a strange mixture.....

KoAloha have always been innovators and their designs and resulting tones defy common sense- it is obviously an instrument with a bright tone, however, it is perfectly viable as a main go-to uke for most players.
isn't kind of wierd a soprano body with tenor neck?
why not a tenor uke??
if you are searching for a tenor neck, i guess you're looking for comfort for left hand.

if u have a tenor neck, the lenght of the scale and string tension will be oriented to a lower tonal range.
the soprano body (smaller) will enhance higher tones

i think it's a strange mixture.....

I think there is a big difference in sound between a KoAloha (harplike chime) and a Kiwaya (mahogany bark). Base your decision on your sound preference is my advice. Quality wise you can't go wrong with these two brands.

I applaud the KoAloha soprano with tenor neck for having the fretboard that is easily played (for most), particularly on the uppermost frets. It has a chiming, soprano sound, but with the much improved sustain and tone of long tenor strings. That is its purpose, and it is not a substitute for the bass (relatively) tone of a tenor KoAloha. I adore mine. I wish it had a pickup...it'd sound so good amplified. I use Worth Browns on my Sop w/ tenor neck.

That said, I also like Kiwayas. lol What did you buy, shanev.?

Last edited:
I applaud the KoAloha soprano with tenor neck for having the fretboard that is easily played (for most), particularly on the uppermost frets. It has a chiming, soprano sound, but with the much improved sustain and tone of long tenor strings. That is its purpose, and it is not a substitute for the bass (relatively) tone of a tenor KoAloha. I adore mine. I wish it had a pickup...it'd sound so good amplified. I use Worth Browns on my Sop w/ tenor neck.

That said, I also like Kiwayas. lol What did you buy, shanev.?

The tenor neck soprano has a lot of the characteristics sound-wise of the much more expensive Pineapple Sunday. I believe they were trying to make this a 'poor man's' Pineapple Sunday. Having played both, they have pretty much succeeded. The PS is louder however.

The tenor neck soprano has a lot of the characteristics sound-wise of the much more expensive Pineapple Sunday. I believe they were trying to make this a 'poor man's' Pineapple Sunday. Having played both, they have pretty much succeeded. The PS is louder however.

I think you are dead on correct, consitter.

Signed, Poor Man.

Top Bottom