What video links do you use to the explain the Uke world?

Tailgate

Reaction score
When an acquaintance or co-worker raises an eyebrow about your Uke obsession, which video links might you choose to email them so they can see that this is not Tiny Tim's Uke anymore?

One's that come to mind are....
Jake/Weeps
James/ Uke Talk
one of Aldrines?
Hotel California duet?
someone's from UU?

if you had to choose a video performance that tells the story of why you chose the Uke, which would it be.. I would love to see a lot of choices that I can have at the ready when needed...

(had an instance of the above yesterday and I had to think 'which performance' would really tell the story best.. certainly not one of mine)

None of the above - I would send them John King.

wow..never heard of him.. thank you for the link! excellent player! That's exactly my hope... to find more of the folks I haven't heard yet..

have to admit.. I do love eugeneukulele's version of Shaving Cream!..but I probably wouldn't send it.. cheers...

Just yesterday a friend (who still hadn't heard me play the uke) told me "with all due respect, I'd never go to a ukulele concert".
I showed her Jake playing While my guitar gently weeps, James Hill playing Billie Jean, and John King playing Cello Suite, No. 1, BWV 1007.
That changed her mind.

wow..never heard of him.. thank you for the link! excellent player! That's exactly my hope... to find more of the folks I haven't heard yet..

have to admit.. I do love eugeneukulele's version of Shaving Cream!..but I probably wouldn't send it.. cheers...

I'll be watching this thread as well, to see who pops up that I haven't heard of.

I'd probably include a few others, just to show what a wide variety of music the uke is capable of. Of course include eugeneukulele! UU member Ukeval is another I've been enjoying lately. Agathe Peyrat plays with others and isn't uke-only, but I think she's a good example of incorporating the uke into music where it might not be expected.

Just to name a few :)

A few years ago I (and few others) attended a concert by The Stringbusters, and Pete Kennedy (lead ukulelist - his wife Maura plays rhythm) showed me that the ukulele wasn't a "novelty" instrument. Here's a link to him playing Rhapsody in Blue on an Applause UAE (soprano, I think):

http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=13674998&ac=now

I really like Jake's video of Bohemian Rhapsody, because when he tells the audience what song he's going to play, they laugh, but when he finishes there's not a lap to be found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3RbO7updc

And all of The Mighty Uke. Fantastic film!

here's some links for you:

vaudeville/ jazz tinged stuff/ showtunes/ standards: Cliff Edwards; Roy Smeck; Janet Klein and her Parlor Boys; Ian Whitcomb; Jnobianchi
oldtime jazz and blues: Dr Bekken; Manitoba Hal; BaronK69
old time music - folk / bluegrass: Lil Rev; Aaron Keim; Ken Middleton; Fred Sokolow; ukuleletim
Classical/ Instrumental: John King; Lyle Ritz; The Old Spice Boys; Bosko & Honey
Pop & Rock: erivel; TheOnlyUkeThatMatters; uni & her ukulele; Victoria Vox
all round fun and awesomeness: Bob Brozman; Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain; Ukulele Club De Paris; seeso; ukuleleoversoul; UncleElvis
traditional Hawaiian: Bill Tapia; Iz; Ohta San etc etc...

so many, many more but that should keep you going for awhile :)

Last edited:
Beirut's "Postcard from Italy" or "Elephant Gun" to show how well the uke works in a pop song with other instruments.

I don't really need to explain the uke to people very often though, over here it doesn't really have any stigma attached to it, it's an instrument like any other. In the past year it's only happened once that someone made fun of me for playing the uke. I was carrying one in its case while queueing at a café. The waiter asked if I was going to play some George Formby, I said no I'll just have a cuppa tea, then he turned to the other people in the queue to ask what they thought of GF in order to get some support for his mockery, to which everyone replied something like : "He's amazing, everyone loves George Formby, great musician, the ukulele is mint man" :)

What I usually bump into is a lack of understanding for UAS. When that happens, I point them to the UU forum and show them most people here have about as many ukes as me if not more, haha ;)

Top Bottom