I broke my uke, need a new one :(

bigtan

Reaction score
So, I broke my Lanikai Tenor acoustic/electric uke :( I loved that thing, enjoyed the tone, sound, and play. So, I'm looking to get another ukulele. There aren't really any stores around here with ukuleles, so I can't really try them out. As for listening to them online, I've heard so many!

Do you guys think I should just stick with Lanikai, or should I get something like Big Island or Mainland uke?

Just looking for some suggestions from you guys :D

Welcome to UU, bigtan! :)

How did you break it and what model did you have?

Is A/E a requirement? Electronics add to the cost and if you don't need to plug in you'll get a better value with a pure acoustic.

What's your budget?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I accidentally sat on my uke :/ lol

Electric is not a requirement, I usually used a mic for my a/e anyways.

It was the Lanikai LU-21TE.

I'd be looking to spend around $300.

Welcome to UU big tan. Wow, some folks will do anything to upgrade!

If you are not fixed on having electrics you have lots of nice options. Big Island and Mainland being two.

Do you live some where that you can try some different types, be it a music shop or a Uke club?

PS. Is the lanikai a project Uke or just for parts? Save the neck if it's ok.

Welcome to the UU bigtan,
either a mainland or call MGM he does great setups for free..and a great selection..Hawaii Music supply

Are you familiar with Eddy Finn ukuleles? There are six Electric Cutaways on sale in my new dealer's catalog. If you would like to see what they have at prices below what you have set at max, tell me where to send them via my scanner.

Mainland and Big Island would be nice upgrades from your Lanikai. You could also look at Pono...they make a really nice sounding uke. Whatever uke you decide on, I would go through a retailer that sets them up...the three I can think of off the top of my head are Hawaii Music Supply, Uke Republic, and Mim's Ukes.

One thing that I'd like to add, that I think is important. There are alot of good ukes out there in your price range and you'll get some good recommendations from the folks here, but if at all possible...TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. I recently bought a new uke and was fortunate to have a great local store to go to (Elderly Instruments). I tried many ukes and can tell you that the feel of a uke in your hands is a big deal, as is the sound, etc. I tried ukes that sounded good, but did not feel good in my hands....I was immediately turned off. So, as folks have said here, it is really important to try ukes out before you buy, if at all possible.

Ouch! I think someone recently posted not to lay your uke on the couch. I often play on the couch and live in constant fear I'll space out some day and put it down next tom me to get something from the kitchen and sit on it when I come back.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I accidentally sat on my uke :/ lol

Electric is not a requirement, I usually used a mic for my a/e anyways.

It was the Lanikai LU-21TE.

I'd be looking to spend around $300.

Ouch! I think someone recently posted not to lay your uke on the couch. I often play on the couch and live in constant fear I'll space out some day and put it down next tom me to get something from the kitchen and sit on it when I come back.

I set it on my couch, which is brown leather. It was camouflaged into the couch, haha.

Also, there are a few music stores around me, but only 2 carry ukes. One has lanikai, and the other has kala. I went and played the kala ukes, and wan't really impressed.

Hey man, if your looking to stay in the lanikai group, i have my self a Lanikai Szw-tca. its a sweet heart. she has great tone the fishmen pickup works great, the play is amzaing and the zebra wood looks amazing:) try one out youll be in love!

This reminds me of the dog incident in The Sopranos.

This morning, I woke up on the couch with my Mainland cradled in my arms. This may indicate how much I love my Mainland.

Ever notice how Mike doesn't pimp his Ukes whenever anyone appears on here asking for advice ?

Or Mim ?

Or almost everyone else ?

Just sayin'

I'm sure this has been asked before, but it wont hurt to ask again. I've read a lot of threads comparing mainland and big island, it seems like most people have mainlands. What do you have, and which do you prefer?

Me ? I just have a Fender NoHea. If I suggested you bought one of those instead of a Mainland I'd be (quite rightly) lynched.

Whatever you decide to go for, buy from Mainland, Mim, HMS or Uke Republic, as mentioned earlier. All of these (I'm guessing about Uke Republic tbh) set the instruments up beforehand, are all highly regarded on these forums, are all active forum members, NEVER pimp their instruments in threads such as this and will all go the extra mile to make sure you get the right Uke.

So, I broke my Lanikai Tenor acoustic/electric uke :( I loved that thing, enjoyed the tone, sound, and play. So, I'm looking to get another ukulele. There aren't really any stores around here with ukuleles, so I can't really try them out. As for listening to them online, I've heard so many!

Do you guys think I should just stick with Lanikai, or should I get something like Big Island or Mainland uke?

Just looking for some suggestions from you guys :D

Welcome to uu and sorry to hear about your uke. Good luck with your search to find a new uke. I am currently looking in the same price range and not to excited about my options. I don't really have a lot of options to play in person. The highest recommendation I have gotten is mainland, no offense to anyone or their taste, the mainland sound fantastic however I so dislike that rope binding I will not purchase one. I know so many love them and I would consider if not for the looks. If you don't mind the looks it's a great option with good sound and fantastic customer service to boot.
I look forward to seeing what you choose, and feedback from others.

UkeRepublic is the the only one out of those three that carried mainland, and they only have 2 tenors to choose from :/

What other sites would you suggest purchasing from?

The Mainland website (mainlandukuleles.com) has a mango tenor and a mahogany tenor (still two, but maybe a different two).

Top Bottom