I thought you were kidding about UAS...

nmb

Reaction score
...but here I am now with my second ukulele already! My first was a Kala concert that I thought long and hard about and never would have felt confident buying without the information that I got here. I love that instrument and it sounds great and it's incredible how much better it makes me feel to sit down with that uke and play a few songs in the evening. It's good for the soul.

So good for the soul that I decided I need another ukulele for the office. Since I'm a college professor and our school's colors are black and orange, it seemed like a no-brainer to get an orange dolphin-bridge Makala.

orange_makala.jpg

It arrived this afternoon and at first I wasn't thrilled with the sound, but I replaced the strings it came with (I got a double-set of Worths when I bought the Kala.) and now it sounds fantastic! The soprano size is a bit of an adjustment, and the strings are still settling down, but for $40 (plus $5-ish for strings) this is a much finer instrument than I expected. Very excited to go to work tomorrow! Thanks UU forums for giving me a pleasant case of UAS!

Attachments

• orange_makala.jpg
    orange_makala.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 8
Just wait, it's only the beginning, it gets worse. And nice color on the dolphin!

I have a Dolphin, too! I agree that it's a good instrument for the money, and replacing the strings is a must. (I have Ko'olau Golds on my blue Dolphin, and the yellow strings look very pretty. But I'm going to continue experimenting with strings... because I like to. :D) It's also a great 'uke for having around the office. Very cheerful and fun! Glad you found one in your school's colors!

UAS is not a joke. I've been playing for a year and I just got my fifth uke, if you don't count my son's yellow Dolphin, which I don't even thought I play it more than him, because if I counted it well...then I'd really seem crazy right?

Good luck keeping the ukulele buying monster at bay.

six months and my collection is in the double digits.

Just bought a really really nice one. Those who said "save up some money and buy a good one instead of three crappy ones" - they weren't lyin'.

six months and my collection is in the double digits.

Just bought a really really nice one. Those who said "save up some money and buy a good one instead of three crappy ones" - they weren't lyin'.

Then save up and buy 3 good ones... rinse and repeat.

I have three. I'm planning on selling one (figure-8 shaped) to finance another pineapple. Which should bring me to a whopping total of 3 pineapples! No, but seriously, I'm saving up for a nice one.

Freeda- what did you just get?

I'm with Freeda - six months, double digits. Eventually, though, one slows down.

Have fun!

Kathryn

UAS is hard to kick.... but MIAS (Musical Instrument Acquisition Syndrome) is even harder on the bank balance. If only I had an obsession simply with acquiring Ukuleles :rolleyes: - In the 30 years or so of this obsession I have acquired about 45 stringed instruments; a few keyboards; a lot of bamboo flutes; percussion things (djembe, darbuka); harmonicas; a cheap melodeon and a cheap concertina; .... and I could go on.

I also have a Dolphin (Green in my case) and I too felt "what was all the fuss about?" when I tried it with the strings it came with. However, as soon as I put on a set of Living Water strings, it became a whole new instrument.

May you enjoy your passion for many years more....

I have just about managed to get my UAS under control i have listed my ukes below and i am happy with them all even the ones not listed, only problem is that I am waiting very, very patiently on a Donaldson Tenor, I also need a KoAloha Concert and a better electro acoustic concert.......see it just never abates just when you think you can handle it, it just sneaks up on you and bite you on the backside, DAMN!!!

Ah hah! Gotcha. Now, when you get several more, you can start referring to yourself as a uke "collector." ..................I mean, no one ever asks a coin collector why they need one more coin, do they?

UAS is hard to kick.... but MIAS (Musical Instrument Acquisition Syndrome) is even harder on the bank balance.

Ah Ha!

MIAS = Musical Instrumant Acquisition Syndrome.

UAS = Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome.

Now I can sleep tonight... and dream about Dolphins?

-Matt

The best Dolphin since Flipper !

My Dolphin was the gateway uke.
It insidiously sucks you in til yer hooked :uhoh:

I had to travel this last weekend and actually got withdrawls from not playing. Shaking, sweating and itching profusely, I head down to a local music store that I saw a cheepo "Diamond Head"(?) in, but alas, they were closed for the holiday. :mad:

Miss Cleo see a hardshell traveling case in da futuh, mahn :rock:

Hi. I'm a noobie. Bought a mahogany concert while traveling. Made it about one month before buying a Brucewei Acacia Koa tenor (which just arrived this past week. ) Crazy. And so the journey begins...

Congrats! I think I'm cured of UAS. Wow, I got the only uke I need! Woohoo!

Congrats on the Dolphin! Nice color. We are a two Dolphin household ourselves.

I'm struggling right now. I just picked a nice Islander MSC-4 Concert about a month ago. I also manged to get a Lanikai LU-11 for a really decent price about a week later ($5 at a yard sale!). So that makes two ukes in about three weeks. Then I discover my local store has just become a dealer for both Kamaka and Kanile'a....while I really like my Islander, I REALLY LIKE the those K's hanging in the store............ :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom