PDA

View Full Version : Do I understand right. USB Mic or interface?

Patrick Madsen
09-06-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm looking to start some basic home recording for sound samples etc. I've read the posts here but just want some clarification before making up my mind how I want to go.

With a USB it is strickly a mic plugged into the Comp. Blue Yeti seems popular as does a Shure and Fathead.

Interface allows for a reg. mic or instrument to be plugged into the interface and from there goes to the comp. Apogee was mentioned as a possible good one.

Then there's an H4 recorder which sounds like it's a recorder that can be used like an interface if needed.

Question is of course which way to go. I have a couple of ukes that have MiSi's and a Kala Ubass.

Sounds like with an interface I get a cleaner sound as the instrument can be plugged in directly. With a USB I get a more natural sound. Is this correct?

Back in the day we used a mic to record as that's all there was or what we knew was out there.

I'm kind of leaning towards a Yeti or Fathead then start thinking about an interface> Any recommendations would sure help.

I realize this question has been asked before and I did read the posts more than once,just need some clarification. Thanks.

jalapeno
09-06-2012, 06:55 PM
i've tried both a usb mic and a standard xlr condensor mic plugged into an interface... in my experience, the interface method handles latency better and allows for better monitoring options. an interface usually has multiple channels - you can either plug in your uke directly or record acoustically via a mic (or even both at the same time). i use a audiobox usb interface - whatever you get, make sure it has phantom power so that you can use it with a condensor mic. the mic i use is an audio technica at2020 (xlr connection). i'm not a fan of plugging in directly via usb, whether it be mics or midi controllers, etc; however, it might suit you fine if you're doing simple 1 track recordings and have no need to monitor yourself. hopefully, that helps.

peewee
09-06-2012, 07:00 PM
I think the H4 recorder can do stand alone recorder (ambient & plug-in), interface, and USB mic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_H4_Handy_Recorder
I have an H2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_H2_Handy_Recorder) which does all that except the XLR and 1/4" inputs part for way less $

jalapeno
09-06-2012, 07:01 PM
oh, and one more thing... if you use an interface, it allows you to record from any device that can be adapted to a 1/4" input (e.g., ipad).

didgeridoo2
09-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I have an H4 which is great in most settings and as an USB mic. I also have the AT2020 USB mic for voice over stuff.

Patrick Madsen
09-06-2012, 07:52 PM
thanks guys thst helped a lot.