Any try out the new gotoh planetary tuners?

pakhan

Reaction score
They look pretty ok... but the back plate is a bit chunky. Light though.

2012-Gotoh-UPT-JP2-G.jpg

I just checked the official Gotoh site. Spendy!! Not what I would call attractive and unobtrusive. You call 15 grams each as light? How about PEGHEDS www.pegheds.net at 20 grams for all four? What is their warranty? It says where the design came from, but does not say where they are made. PEGHEDS are made from USA metal, machinists, and only the wooden buttons come from India. Chrome PEGHEDS with ivoroid buttons are in the developmental stage. The front side nut of the Gotohs will not allow the strings to wind down to the headstock. Downbearing on the nut is reduced. I would still stick with PEGHEDS even if I were not a distributor. :~)

I just checked the official Gotoh site. Spendy!! Not what I would call attractive and unobtrusive. You call 15 grams each as light? How about PEGHEDS www.pegheds.net at 20 grams for all four? What is their warranty? It says where the design came from, but does not say where they are made. PEGHEDS are made from USA metal, machinists, and only the wooden buttons come from India. Chrome PEGHEDS with ivoroid buttons are in the developmental stage. The front side nut of the Gotohs will not allow the strings to wind down to the headstock. Downbearing on the nut is reduced. I would still stick with PEGHEDS even if I were not a distributor. :~)

An unbiased opinion as always...............

Does an Australian dictionary define the word bias as meaning having a preference? It is one of the many meanings listed in an American dictionary. Indeed I have a preference. My reasons given were quantifiable and based upon the information provided on the Gotoh official website. My questions were about what was not plainly stated.

So, then, to get back on topic, we can infer that you have not used them.

To the OP, I think these were just announced, so it might be a while before we see them out in the wild. Personally, I think they're hideous. I'll stick with direct tuners.

I like the look of the Grover Champions.

Does an Australian dictionary define the word bias as meaning having a preference? It is one of the many meanings listed in an American dictionary. Indeed I have a preference. My reasons given were quantifiable and based upon the information provided on the Gotoh official website. My questions were about what was not plainly stated.

It's not a preference, it's that you are paid to say it, therefore making you biased.

As far as the OP, I've never tried them, but have heard both good about bad things about gotoh tuners, and am not sure if I would want to use them, they look a little plain and although I only have one Uke with friction tuners (my flea) I'm still getting used to them and have a preference for geared tuners and no, I wasn't paid to say that ;)

The thread had nothing to do with pegheads. That is until you wandered in trying to hock your wares. Your post are not questions, they are sales pitches. In Australia we'd call that the height of rudeness. No need for a dictionary on that one. It means the same as in America. If the moderators have no problems with your posts that's fine, it's not my forum after all.

The thread had nothing to do with pegheads. That is until you wandered in trying to hock your wares. Your post are not questions, they are sales pitches. In Australia we'd call that the height of rudeness. No need for a dictionary on that one. It means the same as in America. If the moderators have no problems with your posts that's fine, it's not my forum after all.

:agree: with that totally. Well said!

The planetaries on the Risa tenor uke solid don't look like these, but I wish they did. Those planetaries are awful. There's too much play, and the strings go flat flat flat flat, sharp! Not precise and a pain to use. I have a feeling they're not the best tuners around, but people bugged him to change the frictions so he did.

And as for the PEGHEDS guy - seriously?? PEGHEDS (I'm gonna shout the name from now on because that seems to be the thing to do) are good tuners, they have their foibles but they work and are an option among many. But you're aggression in pushing the brand is doing it no favors.

Here's a post in the Acoustic Guitar Forum with pictures of these installed and pricing. At $69.98 for chrome with white buttons they're certainly comparable to Pegheads.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264344

They're just a smaller version of planetary banjo tuners, which have been around for many decades. They look just fine to me and probably work very well. I look forward to trying them out.

Scooter

Here's a post in the Acoustic Guitar Forum with pictures of these installed and pricing. At $69.98 for chrome with white buttons they're certainly comparable to Pegheads.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264344

They're just a smaller version of planetary banjo tuners, which have been around for many decades. They look just fine to me and probably work very well. I look forward to trying them out.

Scooter

I'm with Scooter. Gotoh's reputation for tuners is impeccable, and I have them on a couple of my ukes and they are fabulous, but I don't have these planetary types. The weight is insignificant on a tenor, and less weight than traditional closed tuners ( such as those used on tenors by Mya Moe).

I see, and this is key, they come in black! I'm strongly considering having a custom tenor from Pohaku with these in all black.

Last edited:
Plainsong;And as for the PEGHEDS guy - seriously?? PEGHEDS (I'm gonna shout the name from now on because that seems to be the thing to do) are good tuners said:
I agree, plainsong. But I guess when one's daily bread is based on Peghead sales, some will opt to be so single- minded as to be unhelpful. He has chosen this route.

So no one has first hand experience- no worries, I'll wait for a few to be tested out.
I am looking for alternative tuners all the time- by preference for Gotoh stealth is only tempered by the non traditional look and for waverlys to be the weight.
And no, I don't like plastic construction for a higher end uke tuner.

Give the guy a break already...
...Geesh, there are far bigger shills on this forum and nobody seems to have a problem with them :rolleyes:
He at least identified himself as a dealer.

Anyone know why they are called "planetary"?

Planetary gear pegs use a system where turning the peg turns a central gear (sometimes called a "sun gear") which in turns smaller gears that surround it, like planets. Hence, "planetary gears."

Edited to add this cool graphic, which isn't of tuners, but makes the point pretty well:

bbc_gears1.gif

Last edited:
Planetary gear pegs use a system where turning the peg turns a central gear (sometimes called a "sun gear") which in turns smaller gears that surround it, like planets. Hence, "planetary gears."

Edited to add this cool graphic, which isn't of tuners, but makes the point pretty well:

bbc_gears1.gif

Coming from a Mechanical background, could'nt have explained it any better..................COOL.................

Top Bottom