Spanish Cedar Soprano

David Newton

Reaction score
I build with whatever I happen to have around the shop, and I keep a fair amount of Spanish Cedar for necks & blocks & linings, but rarely build an entire instrument. I built a small guitar of SC years ago, and it was most successful, so I decided to run up a primitive uke of the stuff with a 1 piece top & back.

SC suits itself for ukes, I think, because it has a fair amount of "dampening", and softens the strident nature (poor thing) of the ukulele.

Too bad it doesn't have a beautiful grain & color. Maybe I could learn the old "graining" technique, that made Birch look like Brazilian Rosewood.

SC%201.JPG

Last edited:
I need to change that avatar, I only did 2 ukes with the X-brace. I didn't find any improvement in sound or structure.
I've had some curly Spanish Cedar, and found it very weak. I could twist a neck blank and it would crack easily, so I try not to use it.
I would use it for a back I suppose.

Mr. Newton,

I really like the look of the Spanish Cedar on your ukulele. I like straight grain on mahogany family woods. I can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for sharing.

Here it is again, completed. I have to say, the finish came out better than I expected with the plain look of SC, looks like a lighter version of Mahogany, which it in fact is. It sounds very well too.

SC%205%20small.jpg

Last edited:
I think spanish cedar looks great if a bit understated. I like that gap between the body and fingerboard. Cool detail

Top Bottom