Adjusting the nut for low G

Tailgate

Reaction score
got a new Pono Tenor that I asked for low G setup.. oops.. came high G.. will I have to adjust the nut (open it up a little) to go low G? If so, how do I carefully go about that? Having a pro do it is not an option locally and I don't want to send it back to HMS>.. thanks..

If you use an Aquila Red G string, you may not have to modify the slot at all. Perhaps someone nearby might have one? Or you can order one from Dr. Clucks on ebay & wait 'til it gets in sometime next week?

Mahalo

It will likely fit in the nut. A lot of the ukes are now coming with a slot large enough to accommodate either high or low g. I'm not positive about Pono as I've never tried low g on any of them. Based on your experience level, I'd just call HMS, explain what happened and see if they say it will fit without adjustment. I'm sure they can give you an accurate answer.

If it needs to be opened up, it would be good to use a nut file. Be careful though. You don't want to open it up too much or else you'll need a new nut...

Having a pro do it is not an option locally and I don't want to send it back to HMS
Try it as is, odds are it will be okay. If it's not, perhaps you could ask HMS to send you a new nut geared for low G, since they are the ones who made a mistake. Many (most?) nuts are not glued in and can be removed fairly easily if the strings are slackened so there's no pressure on them.

Fremont wound or unwound should fit. Worth strings should fit. Aquila wound will fit. Aquila red will fit until it pops. PHD may be too thick. I've not had a significant problem with any of my tenor scale ukes accepting a low g. Don't file until you try, as I think you'll find haolebrownie is correct. HMS will, I bet, send you a replacement that will fit if you bought it from them.

Depends on your string choice as Jim say....some thinner guage strings will work....otherwise a nut file is the best option..there is a way to do it and get the right angle too..
go slow and a couple strokes and try to fit the string...because if you do too much....well you know how that will work out...buzzzzzzz of course you can use the super glue
soulation or replace the nut....or shim the nut....ones to avoid...Good Luck...
PS of course if you do not want to spend the expensive money for a nut file, keep this a secret...find the smallest paper clip, smaller that the normal one, and wrap a 400 grit wet
sandpaper around it and see if it will fit in the nut groove and sand at the same break angle...:) hold the paper clip once wrapped around on the side between your
thumb and index finger like and a knife cutting in the nut groove...

Last edited:
Try it as is, odds are it will be okay. If it's not, perhaps you could ask HMS to send you a new nut geared for low G, since they are the ones who made a mistake. Many (most?) nuts are not glued in and can be removed fairly easily if the strings are slackened so there's no pressure on them.

Agree completely. Leave it alone and string it with a low G string. I've never had a problem with the nut by going to a low G assuming the action at the nut is good to begin with.

I have a Pono baritone that I got from HMS, that came with high g tuning/strings. I quickly switched to Southcoast low g strings with no problem at all.

I have a Pono baritone that I got from HMS, that came with high g tuning/strings. I quickly switched to Southcoast low g strings with no problem at all.

I went ahead and changed out the 3rd and 4ths strings to Living Waters and kept the 1st and 2nd Worths... no problems, no adjustment needed.. sounds great! thanks all..

Top Bottom