30th season of the ukulele: Theme - gardens

wee_ginga_yin

Reaction score

Season 30 - Gotta get back to the garden

This Weeks Theme
Gardens
There are two communities that I belong to on youtube… ukulele players and gardeners.
Both I have found, have a generosity of spirit that is constructive, and a love of sharing,
be it tunes or seeds. So I thought to combine both in the 30[SUP]th[/SUP] season of the ukulele.

RULES
-Must be a new video!!
-The Ukulele should be played in a garden or a park or just outside.
-Mention that it’s Week 30.
-Dressing up and playing the kazoo is strictly forbidden, unless of course you are
in a sillydave mood and you really really want to.
-Post your videos in this thread
-Make a video response to the intro video*

*To make it easier for me to do a playlist, could you do me a favour and click
the
watch on youtube link at the bottom right hand of the intro video, which
will take you to the youtube page. Then hit the reply box but instead of
making a reply, click the Create video response link, which is just next to the POST button.
Select the video you want to use then click Use the selected video
and your video will
be sent to me for approval. Then I will be able to see all the videos at a glance rather than trawling
through the forum and perhaps missing some… it will also introduce some gardeners to uke goodness.

Go here to make a video response

JUDGING CRITERIA
The judging will be a random draw that could involve chickens, knives,
a hat, or some other method that I have not yet invented.

PRIZES
To the winners I will send packets of flower and vegetable seeds. Some of the seeds are herbs,
so you could grow them in a window box, and if you don’t have a garden then I suggest you
become a guerilla gardener and scatter the flower seeds on some waste ground near you.

DEADLINES
Starts: SUNDAY SEPT 9[SUP]th[/SUP] Ends: SUNDAY SEPT 16[SUP]th[/SUP]

REMEMBER
Never let good taste stand in the way of style.

PLAYLIST
30th season of the ukulele playlist

Last edited:
Oh, good one, Rob!

I shall look for a song about an exploding deer population that has the beasts wandering the streets of a town, eating everything with impunity and killing one's joy in gardening.
We live in a development, and here are 14 of them that were lying down sleeping in my backyard, only 10 feet from the deck. (They stood up after the third photo flash.)

P1000682.jpg

I am seriously liking the looks of those carrots Wee. My favorite intro video EVER.
What a fun week this ought to be, thanks for hosting a great theme!

So, I've been wanting to do this for awhile...finally participate...make a video...unveil myself to the world...but I don't have a garden, and I have to do this outside, in public, surrounded by strangers and bees? Too scary. Can I do it wearing a flowery dress, or say, in a tomato suit? Hmm...

So, I've been wanting to do this for awhile...finally participate...make a video...unveil myself to the world...but I don't have a garden, and I have to do this outside, in public, surrounded by strangers and bees? Too scary. Can I do it wearing a flowery dress, or say, in a tomato suit? Hmm...

Caroljean, do jump in! I'm going to try to record a song sitting on my back deck with potted plants around me at at time of day when most everyone is at work. Do you have a porch, or can you go to an isolated part of a park?

'The Ukulele should be played in a garden or a park or just outside.'
You can always find a place where no one can see you, Hide behind a tree, drive to the middle of nowhere or farmland find a local park with long grass, done that before.
Bugs make it more fun
But we would love for you to participate, because the more you participate the better player you are. my opinion anyways
Don't let playing outside stop you from joining in.

A theme after my own heart! Oh this will be a fun week:)
Unfortunately there's termination dust on the mountains (which means time is running out for us gardeners here in Alaska). We had our first frost last night. So only the hardiest of plants will be in my video. I better learn a song quick and record tomorrow- we expect a final killing frost by the end of the week and that will be the end of the garden till next summer.

Wearing a tomato suit I think would take more nerve... but go for it.
I think it would set the whole tone for the week.

That was a hoot. You should have your own tv show doing that character.

Dat wis a wee bit o' Rab C. Nesbit... the false hesitations, the repetition of phrases. the woolen socks, and the semi nude upper torso.

I am seriously liking the looks of those carrots Wee. My favorite intro video EVER.
What a fun week this ought to be, thanks for hosting a great theme!

Well I hope it turns out to be a bit of a laugh... gives people a chance to go over the top.

Oh, good one, Rob!

I shall look for a song about an exploding deer population that has the beasts wandering the streets of a town, eating everything with impunity and killing one's joy in gardening.
We live in a development, and here are 14 of them that were lying down sleeping in my backyard, only 10 feet from the deck. (They stood up after the third photo flash.)

View attachment 42709

The eyes on those deer look a bit scary... are you sure your veggies are not being attacked by zombi deer

This is a lovely theme. Coincidentally I woke up this morning thinking about George Harrison's dedication in his autobiography: "to gardeners everywhere" - this was on my mind precisely because I *don't* have space to garden on my rented property!

A theme after my own heart! Oh this will be a fun week:)
Unfortunately there's termination dust on the mountains (which means time is running out for us gardeners here in Alaska). We had our first frost last night. So only the hardiest of plants will be in my video. I better learn a song quick and record tomorrow- we expect a final killing frost by the end of the week and that will be the end of the garden till next summer.

Is that termination dust white and cold? Somebody dumps over a meter of that stuff in my yard every year.

This is a lovely theme. Coincidentally I woke up this morning thinking about George Harrison's dedication in his autobiography: "to gardeners everywhere" - this was on my mind precisely because I *don't* have space to garden on my rented property!

I came across a quote from William Wordsworth recently... you know the daffodil guy,
and I guess he must have been a keen gardener and put in a lot of weeding for he said
"Wisdom comes more often when we stoop than when we soar"

Oh brother am in Seville Spain can just see playing it outside when you have all
these great flamenco guitarists around. Geez hmmmmm where can i hide outside ?
A song just popped up that would be fun to do. OK have to work on this one.
Maybe will go play in the heat of the day when it's only the tourists around hanging
out.

Hmmm, all of the flowers that are still in bloom at home are out front, right next to the street, which will be noisy. Hmmm.....

I have an old edition of the Fanny Farmer cookbook, and I once tried out its recipe for parsnip pie. It was the worst-tasting thing I've ever baked.

I just moved into an apartment, so I don't have a garden either. Hoping that won't count against me,I do have a basil and parsley plant in a pot, so I guess that will have to do.

he he he that was a hoot, i used to love watching Rab, great theme and looking forward to it, and I LOVE Parsnips :))))) i make a lovely parsnip and ginger soup.
I to live in a flat, but there is acres and acres of countryside around me, looking forward to the challenge, many thanks wee-ginga.

So I guess we need to specify now...single track, or multi OK? I was thinking about songs and one works as a multi if we are still going there

If this week ends up with 20 renditions of "Tiptoe Through the Tulips", I'm gonna puke my guts out.

Top Bottom