View Full Version : 30th season of the ukulele: Theme - gardens

Pages : [1] 2

wee_ginga_yin
09-08-2012, 03:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwIS9etT0L8

Season 30 - Gotta get back to the garden

This Weeks Theme
Gardens
There are two communities that I belong to on youtube… ukulele players and gardeners.
Both I have found, have a generosity of spirit that is constructive, and a love of sharing,
be it tunes or seeds. So I thought to combine both in the 30th season of the ukulele.

RULES
-Must be a new video!!
-The Ukulele should be played in a garden or a park or just outside.
-Mention that it’s Week 30.
-Dressing up and playing the kazoo is strictly forbidden, unless of course you are
in a sillydave mood and you really really want to.
-Post your videos in this thread
-Make a video response to the intro video*

*To make it easier for me to do a playlist, could you do me a favour and click
the watch on youtube link at the bottom right hand of the intro video, which
will take you to the youtube page. Then hit the reply box but instead of
making a reply, click the Create video response link, which is just next to the POST button.
Select the video you want to use then click Use the selected video and your video will
be sent to me for approval. Then I will be able to see all the videos at a glance rather than trawling
through the forum and perhaps missing some… it will also introduce some gardeners to uke goodness.

Go here to make a video response (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwIS9etT0L8)

JUDGING CRITERIA
The judging will be a random draw that could involve chickens, knives,
a hat, or some other method that I have not yet invented.

PRIZES
To the winners I will send packets of flower and vegetable seeds. Some of the seeds are herbs,
so you could grow them in a window box, and if you don’t have a garden then I suggest you
become a guerilla gardener and scatter the flower seeds on some waste ground near you.

DEADLINES
Starts: SUNDAY SEPT 9th Ends: SUNDAY SEPT 16th

REMEMBER
Never let good taste stand in the way of style.

PLAYLIST
30th season of the ukulele playlist (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoaM2L2cunLp6uEWZamVl1pir5vpsXIKA)

GinnyT11
09-08-2012, 04:35 AM
Oh, good one, Rob!

I shall look for a song about an exploding deer population that has the beasts wandering the streets of a town, eating everything with impunity and killing one's joy in gardening.
We live in a development, and here are 14 of them that were lying down sleeping in my backyard, only 10 feet from the deck. (They stood up after the third photo flash.)

TCK
09-08-2012, 04:58 AM
I am seriously liking the looks of those carrots Wee. My favorite intro video EVER.
What a fun week this ought to be, thanks for hosting a great theme!

v30
09-08-2012, 05:18 AM
That was a hoot. You should have your own tv show doing that character.

caroljean
09-08-2012, 05:26 AM
So, I've been wanting to do this for awhile...finally participate...make a video...unveil myself to the world...but I don't have a garden, and I have to do this outside, in public, surrounded by strangers and bees? Too scary. Can I do it wearing a flowery dress, or say, in a tomato suit? Hmm...

GinnyT11
09-08-2012, 05:49 AM
So, I've been wanting to do this for awhile...finally participate...make a video...unveil myself to the world...but I don't have a garden, and I have to do this outside, in public, surrounded by strangers and bees? Too scary. Can I do it wearing a flowery dress, or say, in a tomato suit? Hmm...

Caroljean, do jump in! I'm going to try to record a song sitting on my back deck with potted plants around me at at time of day when most everyone is at work. Do you have a porch, or can you go to an isolated part of a park?

ukuloonie
09-08-2012, 05:50 AM
'The Ukulele should be played in a garden or a park or just outside.'
You can always find a place where no one can see you, Hide behind a tree, drive to the middle of nowhere or farmland find a local park with long grass, done that before.
Bugs make it more fun
But we would love for you to participate, because the more you participate the better player you are. my opinion anyways
Don't let playing outside stop you from joining in.

myrnaukelele
09-08-2012, 05:51 AM
A theme after my own heart! Oh this will be a fun week:)
Unfortunately there's termination dust on the mountains (which means time is running out for us gardeners here in Alaska). We had our first frost last night. So only the hardiest of plants will be in my video. I better learn a song quick and record tomorrow- we expect a final killing frost by the end of the week and that will be the end of the garden till next summer.

wee_ginga_yin
09-08-2012, 05:55 AM

Wearing a tomato suit I think would take more nerve... but go for it.
I think it would set the whole tone for the week.

That was a hoot. You should have your own tv show doing that character.

Dat wis a wee bit o' Rab C. Nesbit... the false hesitations, the repetition of phrases. the woolen socks, and the semi nude upper torso.

I am seriously liking the looks of those carrots Wee. My favorite intro video EVER.
What a fun week this ought to be, thanks for hosting a great theme!

Well I hope it turns out to be a bit of a laugh... gives people a chance to go over the top.

Oh, good one, Rob!

I shall look for a song about an exploding deer population that has the beasts wandering the streets of a town, eating everything with impunity and killing one's joy in gardening.
We live in a development, and here are 14 of them that were lying down sleeping in my backyard, only 10 feet from the deck. (They stood up after the third photo flash.)

The eyes on those deer look a bit scary... are you sure your veggies are not being attacked by zombi deer

janeray1940
09-08-2012, 06:50 AM
This is a lovely theme. Coincidentally I woke up this morning thinking about George Harrison's dedication in his autobiography: "to gardeners everywhere" - this was on my mind precisely because I *don't* have space to garden on my rented property!

wee_ginga_yin
09-08-2012, 07:50 AM
A theme after my own heart! Oh this will be a fun week:)
Unfortunately there's termination dust on the mountains (which means time is running out for us gardeners here in Alaska). We had our first frost last night. So only the hardiest of plants will be in my video. I better learn a song quick and record tomorrow- we expect a final killing frost by the end of the week and that will be the end of the garden till next summer.

Is that termination dust white and cold? Somebody dumps over a meter of that stuff in my yard every year.

This is a lovely theme. Coincidentally I woke up this morning thinking about George Harrison's dedication in his autobiography: "to gardeners everywhere" - this was on my mind precisely because I *don't* have space to garden on my rented property!

I came across a quote from William Wordsworth recently... you know the daffodil guy,
and I guess he must have been a keen gardener and put in a lot of weeding for he said
"Wisdom comes more often when we stoop than when we soar"

000Kanaka000
09-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Oh brother am in Seville Spain can just see playing it outside when you have all
these great flamenco guitarists around. Geez hmmmmm where can i hide outside ?
A song just popped up that would be fun to do. OK have to work on this one.
Maybe will go play in the heat of the day when it's only the tourists around hanging
out.

uke4ia
09-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Hmmm, all of the flowers that are still in bloom at home are out front, right next to the street, which will be noisy. Hmmm.....

I have an old edition of the Fanny Farmer cookbook, and I once tried out its recipe for parsnip pie. It was the worst-tasting thing I've ever baked.

strumsilly
09-08-2012, 10:16 AM
I just moved into an apartment, so I don't have a garden either. Hoping that won't count against me,I do have a basil and parsley plant in a pot, so I guess that will have to do.

Bob Bledsoe
09-08-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't know if I can put a video together this week but I should say that after watching that intro video, wee_ginga_yin is my new favorite guy.

weerpool
09-08-2012, 11:44 AM
i am definitely in for this week. love ya' wee ginga yin!!

ukuleledaveey
09-08-2012, 01:39 PM
he he he that was a hoot, i used to love watching Rab, great theme and looking forward to it, and I LOVE Parsnips :))))) i make a lovely parsnip and ginger soup.
I to live in a flat, but there is acres and acres of countryside around me, looking forward to the challenge, many thanks wee-ginga.

TCK
09-08-2012, 03:23 PM
So I guess we need to specify now...single track, or multi OK? I was thinking about songs and one works as a multi if we are still going there

uke4ia
09-08-2012, 03:33 PM
If this week ends up with 20 renditions of "Tiptoe Through the Tulips", I'm gonna puke my guts out.

ukuloonie
09-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I hope not Uke4ia
I just googled songs with flowers and this list popped up
Here (http://www.songfacts.com/category-songs_with_flowers_in_the_title.php)

weerpool
09-08-2012, 05:00 PM
thanks for the list ukeloonie :)

chrimess
09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Want me to send some friends from south of the border to address this problem?

Oh, good one, Rob!

myrnaukelele
09-08-2012, 05:48 PM
If this week ends up with 20 renditions of "Tiptoe Through the Tulips", I'm gonna puke my guts out.
Ha! I'll be the first to post it:o

http://youtu.be/eB1hRS1-Kv8

wee_ginga_yin
09-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Oh brother am in Seville Spain can just see playing it outside when you have all
these great flamenco guitarists around. Geez hmmmmm where can i hide outside ?
A song just popped up that would be fun to do. OK have to work on this one.
Maybe will go play in the heat of the day when it's only the tourists around hanging
out.

In Seville there is a very famous garden called the "Courtyard of 100 maidens",
and if you ever get down to Granada, be sure to check out the Alhambra gardens.

I don't know if I can put a video together this week but I should say that after watching that intro video, wee_ginga_yin is my new favorite guy.

Go on, Go on, Go on, you know you want to do it.

i am definitely in for this week. love ya' wee ginga yin!!

Well I love you too then.

he he he that was a hoot, i used to love watching Rab, great theme and looking forward to it, and I LOVE Parsnips :))))) i make a lovely parsnip and ginger soup. I to live in a flat, but there is acres and acres of countryside around me, looking forward to the challenge, many thanks wee-ginga.

That's the style Dave. Some folks have thought that when I said playing outside that it involved playing
in front of people, but the real idea was to see some nature and countryside from different parts of the world.

So I guess we need to specify now...single track, or multi OK? I was thinking about songs and one works as a multi if we are still going there

I have not put any stipulations on single or multi track. You can be as inventive as you want.
Let a thousand flowers blossom :-)

Photo or it did not happen.

I hope not Uke4ia
I just googled songs with flowers and this list popped up
Here (http://www.songfacts.com/category-songs_with_flowers_in_the_title.php)

Thanks for that.
The Guardian has a Spotify songs list on the theme
Gardens (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/nov/17/readers-recommend-songs-gardens)

Dan Uke
09-08-2012, 08:15 PM

What's wrong with this song especially when Myrna sings it. Never heard it before and it sounds really good!

thesillydave
09-08-2012, 08:19 PM
RULES
-Must be a new video!!
-The Ukulele should be played in a garden or a park or just outside.
-Mention that its Week 30.
-Dressing up and playing the kazoo is strictly forbidden, unless of course you are
in a sillydave mood and you really really want to.
-Post your videos in this thread
-Make a video response to the intro video*

i've become a descriptive adjective! woohoo! thanks rob! now...to find a song....

myrnaukelele
09-08-2012, 09:49 PM
What's wrong with this song especially when Myrna sings it. Never heard it before and it sounds really good!
Aw that's sweet of you to say that nongdam:)
This song actually has some nice chord changes. And I love those 20s tunes.

wee_ginga_yin
09-09-2012, 12:44 AM

I think it is the quintessential ukulele song and it somehow has got a bad rep because of Tiny Tim
who because of his falsetto voice turned it into a novelty song. But there is no shuffling of feet
or feeling embarrassed when it is sung by

Doogey9 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXf_BeDoP-I)
or
IanReenterant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDyim0oJqw)

Tootler
09-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Is that termination dust white and cold? Somebody dumps over a meter of that stuff in my yard every year.

When watching your video I forgot you were in Finland not Glesca!!

The white stuff tends to be wet and soggy here when we get it which is not every year these days so there is chaos when we do. Mind they get more in Aberdeen, especially when there is a Nor' Easter blowing. My mother was so keen to get away from those Nor' Easters that she went to the extraordinary length of marrying an Englishman :rolleyes:

I've just remembered the perfect song for this week, but your demand for outside video means I may have to come out of the closet with my family and admit to doing You Tube Videos :uhoh:

J-Peg
09-09-2012, 02:28 AM
"Tiptoe Through the Tulips" is to ukulele what "Kum Ba Yah" is to acoustic guitar.

Yet you made it work, myrna. That was lovely.

uke4ia
09-09-2012, 02:58 AM
I think it is the quintessential ukulele song and it somehow has got a bad rep because of Tiny Tim
who because of his falsetto voice turned it into a novelty song.

Like Rob says. Tiny Tim and "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" were almost single-handedly responsible for the ukulele being relegated to laughingstock status for 30 years.

GinnyT11
09-09-2012, 04:08 AM

Myrna, if you'd played that on The Johnny Carson Show instead of Tiny Tim, the uke would be so popular we'd be up to our knees in them. Oh, wait...

GinnyT11
09-09-2012, 04:09 AM
Wee_ginga_Rob, will you be contributing "Flower of Scotland"?

wee_ginga_yin
09-09-2012, 04:14 AM

Quick out of the blocks Myrna... did you notice how I loved saying your name with a long
Scottish rolling Rrrrrr. You even managed to get some tulips in the shot... but I was thrown for
a moment by the Dicentra spectabilis... those bleeding hearts are a Spring flower, and I wondered how they
could be growing in your garden in the autumn. You must have a magical climate in Alaska.

wee_ginga_yin
09-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Wee_ginga_Rob, will you be contributing "Flower of Scotland"?

It did not help us at the weekend we could only manage a 0-0 draw with Serbia while the English romped to a 5-0 victory.
At the back of my mind I still somehow think that England gets the victories and the glory, but nevertheless the Scots and
the Irish get the songs. To illustrate the point the Scots lost the battle of Flodden Field and what sprung from that defeat
was one of the most beautiful laments ever written.

Fleurs o' the forest have aw wee'd awa (http://www.dodsweb.com/c-wynde/media/cw-mp3s/ad/Flowers%20of%20the%20Forest.mp3)

and from my main man Dick Gaughan

Flooers o' the forest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJIrAkJnS1I)

TCK
09-09-2012, 07:25 AM

YES! Way to go Myrna!!! What a way to kick it off

myrnaukelele
09-09-2012, 07:44 AM
"Tiptoe Through the Tulips" is to ukulele what "Kum Ba Yah" is to acoustic guitar.

Yet you made it work, myrna. That was lovely.

Myrna, if you'd played that on The Johnny Carson Show instead of Tiny Tim, the uke would be so popular we'd be up to our knees in them. Oh, wait...

Quick out of the blocks Myrna... did you notice how I loved saying your name with a long
Scottish rolling Rrrrrr. You even managed to get some tulips in the shot... but I was thrown for
a moment by the Dicentra spectabilis... those bleeding hearts are a Spring flower, and I wondered how they
could be growing in your garden in the autumn. You must have a magical climate in Alaska.

YES! Way to go Myrna!!! What a way to kick it off
Oh thank you all:o
J-Peg is right- this song is a bit overplayed. But it's so well known and has some great chords. I did this a few years ago for a different contest. And yes, we have a magical climate here in Alaska lol! It's that midnight sun...

myrnaukelele
09-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Written in 1972 by Carl Martin (of Martin Bogan and Armstrong) and covered by Steve Goodman.

http://youtu.be/0drW_vPxluY
We had another hard frost last night and are scrambling to harvest the garden. I found a few minutes to record this yesterday. I thought I'd better record it before this garden is just a memory. All too soon it will look like this- http://youtu.be/ST7T8JHIDOE

weerpool
09-09-2012, 08:23 AM
awwwwwww , what a lovely one Myrna!!

Written in 1972 by Carl Martin (of Martin Bogan and Armstrong) and covered by Steve Goodman.

We had another hard frost last night and are scrambling to harvest the garden. I found a few minutes to record this yesterday. I thought I'd better record it before this garden is just a memory. All too soon it will look like this- http://youtu.be/ST7T8JHIDOE

Tootler
09-09-2012, 12:32 PM
It did not help us at the weekend we could only manage a 0-0 draw with Serbia while the English romped to a 5-0 victory.
At the back of my mind I still somehow think that England gets the victories and the glory, but nevertheless the Scots and
the Irish get the songs. To illustrate the point the Scots lost the battle of Flodden Field and what sprung from that defeat
was one of the most beautiful laments ever written.

Fleurs o' the forest have aw wee'd awa (http://www.dodsweb.com/c-wynde/media/cw-mp3s/ad/Flowers%20of%20the%20Forest.mp3)

and from my main man Dick Gaughan

Flooers o' the forest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJIrAkJnS1I)

As someone with a foot in both camps I'm not sure I entirely agree.

The England footy team have been pretty useless in recent years in spite of the overblown hype in certain sections of the media. They have got the results they deserved in recent major competitions. Too many overpaid prima donnas

It'll need a lot more than the recent win over Serbia to convince me they're any better now.

There are some truly wonderful traditional English songs. Unfortunately the media seem hell bent on putting down everything truly English.

I saw Dick Gaughan live earlier this year. I had been looking forward to it but was very disappointed.

Tootler
09-09-2012, 12:36 PM

That was great, Myrna. Well sung & loved the settings.

Loved the Barnyard dance too. Made me smile.

Hippie Dribble
09-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Multi-tracks allowed? Wow. The seasons have certainly entered a new season. Next thing you'll be telling me there's no Santa Claus... :p

~dave~~wave~
09-09-2012, 06:05 PM
This one is not polished.
Only had a chance for one take early this morning.

If somebody actually has learned this song and maybe even can sing, it's fair game, have at it, please.

Couldn't resist having a go myself though, since it's my favorite song by Van, and I recorded it on the spot I was married 35 years ago tomorrow.

This is more an experiment in audio and video for me.
I used my MacBook with a PreSonus Firebox interface running phantom power 25 feet to a Behringer large diaphragm condensor mic.
I'm happy with the sound, just not the execution, but 12 more takes wouldn't have gained me much ground, I just don't know the song well.

The video was captured on my macbook internal camera, which is obviously crap at long focus shots, need to come up with a better solution or stick to close-ups.
Also my first pass at 16:9 widescreen video,

So take it with a huge pinch of salt, you have created a monster by your kind words of encouragement to a newcomer, thank you one and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njQ5w9IPu-w

ukuloonie
09-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Seems fine to me, Thats what the seasons is all about participating and joining in. Each song I try is an experiment, I try new things everytime, I think your voice and playing works well. Look forward to more.
Drew.

TCK
09-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Love me some Dave's on the season...beautiful rendition, and congrats on the Anniversary of your nuptials. I got a special gal I have not been married to not as long, but man she sure is special. This is gold mate-totally dig it
Bless up- that Dave from Cloverdale

If somebody actually has learned this song and maybe even can sing, it's fair game, have at it, please.

Couldn't resist having a go myself though, since it's my favorite song by Van, and I recorded it on the spot I was married 35 years ago tomorrow.

I used my MacBook with a PreSonus Firebox interface running phantom power 25 feet to a Behringer large diaphragm condensor mic.
I'm happy with the sound, just not the execution, but 12 more takes wouldn't have gained me much ground, I just don't know the song well.

The video was captured on my macbook internal camera, which is obviously crap at long focus shots, need to come up with a better solution or stick to close-ups.

So take it with a huge pinch of salt, you have created a monster by your kind words of encouragement to a newcomer, thank you one and all.

Dan Uke
09-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Got my song picked out but gonna have a hard time playing in garden or park due to work...maybe Saturday unless I get lucky and get off work a little early!

myrnaukelele
09-09-2012, 08:57 PM

What a beautiful place! And a great garden song- can't go wrong with Van Morrison. Congrats on your anniversary:)

Tootler
09-10-2012, 02:37 AM

That sounded just fine. Great singing and playing and great location.

Congratulations on your anniversary, by the way.

Ukeval
09-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Hi all,
This is not my entry, but a bonus track, as it was filmed in my garden this summer when meeting with some friends, we had an ukulele session around the sheep in the garden.
All people here are members of ukulele.fr, some are members of UU too ;-)
I'll post my entry later in the week...

Bonus Track (this is the music from a TV show in France in the '80 called 30 millions d'amis (30 millions of friends) about animals.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doM4Xl0EElY

ukuloonie
09-10-2012, 03:58 AM
Thanks Ukeval for this watched all the way through I enjoyed it.
Thankyou.

Ukeval
09-10-2012, 04:14 AM
aren't my sheep nice and cooperative ? ;-)

peewee
09-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Hi all,
This is not my entry, but a bonus track, as it was filmed in my garden this summer when meeting with some friends, we had an ukulele session around the sheep in the garden.

Bonus Track (this is the music from a TV show in France in the '80 called 30 millions d'amis (30 millions of friends) about animals.)

Br------vo!

wee_ginga_yin
09-10-2012, 06:59 AM

What a fantastic looking place... such diversity of plants, and as if on que when you sung

The olden summer breeze was blowin'

that big plant on the left of the picture did a dance in the breeze ... talk about serendipity :-)
Great choice of song. Can't beat a bit of Van the Man.

VIdeo response approved and added to the playlist.

wee_ginga_yin
09-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Hi all,

That was quite surreal, but it looked like you had a captive audience right up to the end
when somebody (Nosey Diva) started doing dog impersonations. I must also congratulate
Ginger on her immaculate dress sense... polka-dot dress and gumboots has never been more
attractive.

Great outside footage and the ukulele show band were real tight in their playing.
You should take that show on the road and for merchandise you could market
the nose flute and the kiss-o-matic. That would be a great combination.

Tootler
09-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi all,

Great fun bonus track with not very attentive audience. Must try harder.

Loved the outdoor location.

wee_ginga_yin
09-10-2012, 07:28 AM

Never heard that song before but I tried to count the number of vegetables mentioned.
I think I got 12 all together. You have a fine big garden there. I can just imagine the amount
of work that went into all that planting.

Song was played with exuberance, and was a joy to watch. You shimmied when the song
called for shimmying

Added to the playlist... but if you could still add it as a video response the the intro
video that would be great.

Thanks Rob.

GinnyT11
09-10-2012, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1m6nAu2SEU

My husband gave me Pink Martini's album "Hang On, Little Tomato" when I was in a very tough time in 2005, and this title song from it has profound meaning for me.
I could be vocalist China Forbes only in the Bizarro World, but I'm really happy to have learned this song.

(The dog barking proves I didn't build a garden stage set inside my house for recording.)

wee_ginga_yin
09-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Hmm... tried to view the video but it is marked as private???

Hippie Dribble
09-10-2012, 09:39 PM
thanks for another great week Rob. This purgative goes out to Jim with love... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UANDOCLZLi8

wee_ginga_yin
09-10-2012, 10:54 PM
thanks for another great week Rob. This purgative goes out to Jim with love... :p

I think you have gone a long way to redeeming this song.
Even faced the wrath of Jim. Excellent as ever, and gone
is the heavy over-coat to be replaced by a T-shirt. I often
forget that the seasons are reversed in the southern hemisphere.
Up north we are winding down, and down under you are just
beginning to rev up.

What is that bush in blossom behind you. It looks very exotic.

uke4ia
09-11-2012, 01:21 AM

I was feeling very queasy from 10:30 till 12:30 last night. I thought it was the after-effect of a medical procedure I had yesterday. But now I know the real reason.

strumsilly
09-11-2012, 02:07 AM
yep. she needs to change the setting to public. i should have marked some of mine private. haha

Tootler
09-11-2012, 02:11 AM

Tiptoe Through the Tulips is a perfectly good song that has become "tainted" (not sure that's the right word) by association with a particular person. Your version is very nicely done and shoes that it is a good song.

Several of the suggested videos by yours were of Tiny Tim and I thought I would refresh my memory. He's even worse than I remembered. I could barely manage the first verse before I stopped it.

Anyway a well played version and that little sopranino uke just suited it very nicely.

Tootler
09-11-2012, 02:20 AM
My husband gave me Pink Martini's album "Hang On, Little Tomato" when I was in a very tough time in 2005, and this title song from it has profound meaning for me.
I could be vocalist China Forbes only in the Bizarro World, but I'm really happy to have learned this song.

(The dog barking proves I didn't build a garden stage set inside my house for recording.)

Gina, If you don't want the wide world to see your video, then I suggest you set the privacy setting to "Unlisted". That way, members of UU can view it as you have given us the link but the rest of the world doesn't see it as it is not included in any public listing including searches. If you mark it "Private", you have to give explicit permission to everyone you want to let see it and there is a 50 limit on the number of people you can let view it.

Information on Private videos (http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=157177) from Google's help pages

Tootler
09-11-2012, 02:29 AM
I had a change of heart on my entry as I have to learn the song I was hoping to use and I can't be sure of getting it learnt sufficiently well by the end of the week.

Here is a charming little ditty about a girl who isn't going to marry for money...

or is she?

http://youtu.be/p6TE3RlQdXQ

GinnyT11
09-11-2012, 02:41 AM

I mistakenly labeled my post as private. It's fixed now---please go back and watch it at #57.

strumsilly
09-11-2012, 04:20 AM
The basil plant is the extent of my garden now that I've moved. It's the uke of the Garden world though, I can carry it with me where ever I go haha.

http://youtu.be/fZMxV5Cv4wQ

Tootler
09-11-2012, 05:16 AM

That was really nice when I finally got to listen to it all through. First my daughter rang, three times, then my wife came home.

wee_ginga_yin
09-11-2012, 05:54 AM
I had a change of heart on my entry as I have to learn the song I was hoping to use and I can't be sure of getting it learnt sufficiently well by the end of the week. Here is a charming little ditty about a girl who isn't going to marry for money... or is she?
[http://youtu.be/p6TE3RlQdXQ

What a difference being outside makes. When you are inside in the "closet"
the impression is that you are a perfect english gentleman, but get you outside
with those shades on and the wind in your hair, and it looks like you would be more
at home behind the high rise handle bars of a Harley Davidson hog :-)

It was good that the jilted lover got over his rejection so quickly. These old folk songs
always had an element of teaching to them, and I suppose that with many folk songs
the purpose of them is to pass on history or give some moral lesson.

Excellent rendition and worthy of the Biker Urban Morris Dancers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUcsyW3Uli0) :-)

Tootler
09-11-2012, 06:28 AM
The basil plant is the extent of my garden now that I've moved. It's the uke of the Garden world though, I can carry it with me where ever I go haha.

A very peaceful song with some lovely picking. The uke sounds really nice. I relate to the anti-garden bit. Mine is more a wasteland :o

wee_ginga_yin
09-11-2012, 06:34 AM

That is a cracker of a song... old Pete sure could tell a truth or two
with his songs. You don't need to be a gardener to appreciate the lines.

Tune my body and my brain
To the music of the land
Plant your rows straight and long
Season them with prayer and song

I think that applies to any endevour... an element of thoughtfulness
should go into everything we do... even making music. In that way
a song becomes more than a performance.

Is that a new baritone uke you have there. I don't think I have seen you playing it before.

Tootler
09-11-2012, 06:38 AM
What a difference being outside makes. When you are inside in the "closet"
the impression is that you are a perfect english gentleman, but get you outside
with those shades on and the wind in your hair, and it looks like you would be more
at home behind the high rise handle bars of a Harley Davidson hog :-)

Hmmm! I nearly put on my hat that I bought last year in Germany after catching the sun after a day on the Rhine. Harley Davidson Hog - interesting thought.

It was good that the jilted lover got over his rejection so quickly. These old folk songs
always had an element of teaching to them, and I suppose that with many folk songs
the purpose of them is to pass on history or give some moral lesson.

Not so much a moral lesson but folk songs described peoples' lives as they were, usually without rancour and often with humour.

Excellent rendition and worthy of the Biker Urban Morris Dancers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUcsyW3Uli0) :-)

I'm not quite sure whether to take that as a compliment or not - given the way the dance ends. :eek:

ukuloonie
09-11-2012, 06:40 AM

I think Jon has made this feel more like the original version intended it to be.
With tongue in cheek.

UKISOCIETY
09-11-2012, 07:06 AM
I'been too busy to participate in the seasons which is frustrating because I had some great songs I wanted to play for them. :( I'm going to try to enter this one if I have time. Until then, here's a bonus - with the reminder that "Mmm Bop" mentions planting seeds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cypARJFG3qo

wee_ginga_yin
09-11-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm not quite sure whether to take that as a compliment or not - given the way the dance ends. :eek:

It was a Braveheart battlefield moment. I thought it might appeal to you Celtic side.

strumsilly
09-11-2012, 08:57 AM
That is a cracker of a song... old Pete sure could tell a truth or two
with his songs. You don't need to be a gardener to appreciate the lines.

Tune my body and my brain
To the music of the land
Plant your rows straight and long
Season them with prayer and song

I think that applies to any endevour... an element of thoughtfulness
should go into everything we do... even making music. In that way
a song becomes more than a performance.

Is that a new baritone uke you have there. I don't think I have seen you playing it before.
I agree with your sentiments. No, that's not a new baritone, it's a Lanikai SB I got off ebay for a song. Had a scratched and cracked top and a ding on the back. The new used Pono should come today.

strumsilly
09-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I'been too busy to participate in the seasons which is frustrating because I had some great songs I wanted to play for them. :( I'm going to try to enter this one if I have time. Until then, here's a bonus - with the reminder that "Mmm Bop" mentions planting seeds:

Wow, Were you channeling Ginsberg or Kerouacky?."the only people for me are the mad ones"
Groovy man, groovy.

we tigers
09-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Absolutely brilliant! Ken Nordine meets William Shatner

wee_ginga_yin
09-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Wow, Were you channeling Ginsberg or Kerouacky?."the only people for me are the mad ones"
Groovy man, groovy.

Reminds me of the jazz critic from the Fast show.

Louis Balfour is a man whose mission
is to bring 'you all that's best in the world of jazz'.
Every obscure and bizarrely named jazz combo who joins
him in the studio will be greeted with the Louis' particular
brand of cool reverence to the camera - 'Nice!' or 'Grrrrreat'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebUMhJAKSM

erivel
09-11-2012, 09:31 AM
I didn't think I'd be able to participate this week, but I had a free hour this morning. The garden looked kinda bare, so I'm sitting under our lemon tree. This is a first for me...playing outside! Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/9inZm2I2m2M

Tootler
09-11-2012, 10:23 AM
It was a Braveheart battlefield moment. I thought it might appeal to you Celtic side.

or, to drag things down to an all time low "Carry on up the Khyber".

I rarely go to the cinema these days, so I've not seen Braveheart.

Tootler
09-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I didn't think I'd be able to participate this week, but I had a free hour this morning. The garden looked kinda bare, so I'm sitting under our lemon tree. This is a first for me...playing outside! Enjoy!

You really captured the whimsical nature of this song. I have fond memories as we strummed along to this (probably with simplified chords) at the end of the absolute beginners workshop that got me started with the uke, so nice to hear it well played.

erivel
09-11-2012, 12:22 PM
You really captured the whimsical nature of this song. I have fond memories as we strummed along to this (probably with simplified chords) at the end of the absolute beginners workshop that got me started with the uke, so nice to hear it well played.

Thanks! This is a fun one for sure. The Beatles got me to start playing the guitar, so when I learned how to play the uke I learned Beatles songs first. Though I never learned this one until now.

mm stan
09-11-2012, 12:50 PM

Aloha Ginny,
What a lovely song...I really like it girl...and well played and sung....beautiful video and setting too...even your doggie was pleased and gave you his okay at the end...thank you for sharing.
had a hard time posting this...I don't know why....first time like this, clicked the cursor and it did not work...I kept at it and soon it did... even a new line, it froze too...Happy Strummings Girl

tattwo
09-11-2012, 01:08 PM

Great job Eric......loved it

erivel
09-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Great job Eric......loved it

Thanks so much Terry!

filipinouker
09-11-2012, 01:38 PM

hello GT3T11 !
What a really lovely song!!! I've not heard it before now - the words really struck a chord in me (pardon the pun :o ). You played it quite nicely too! I'd like to learn it. Can you share the chords with me, please?

Thanks!

J-Peg
09-11-2012, 02:39 PM
I live in an apartment so I have no yard or garden. But I'm not a gardener anyway so that's okay. I do really like the woods, and there's a 150 acre park right across the street, so I shot my video there.

It's a Guy Clark song about my favorite garden related thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zEUfS15RIA&feature=youtu.be

peewee
09-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Haven't had much of a chance to review, but here's a stab at a Veggie song:

http://youtu.be/EOrwhSyBB24
thanks Rob!

And I have once again bitten off more than I can chew with this number..sorry.

I have lots of ideas for bonus tracks, so you're not through with me yet!

Dan Uke
09-11-2012, 04:18 PM
I really like this week. Making people perform outside makes the videos more enjoyable to watch! Might make it a little bit more difficult to create a video but I'm sure we'll all manage.

GinnyT11
09-11-2012, 05:18 PM
I live in an apartment so I have no yard or garden. But I'm not a gardener anyway so that's okay. I do really like the woods, and there's a 150 acre park right across the street, so I shot my video there.

I agree with you about homegrown tomaters...nothing better. I like what you did with your cigar box uke, both here and for your numbers song with the special multi-jpeg effects. (Your moon number was pretty nice too.)

Hippie Dribble
09-11-2012, 05:26 PM
a bash at Mother Maybelle's signature tune...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ABNeZYXEz4

GinnyT11
09-11-2012, 05:33 PM
That was really nice when I finally got to listen to it all through.

Thank you, Geoff. You are so kind to comment on all the recreation-league players' posts. It's very helpful. I liked seeing you playing outside this week. Your songbook is boundless with those cool story ballads. I'm sure you were a troubadour in a previous life.

Aloha Ginny,
What a lovely song...I really like it girl...and well played and sung....beautiful video and setting too...even your doggie was pleased and gave you his okay at the end...thank you for sharing...Happy Strummings Girl

Stan, you are a sweetheart, as many people here well know. I value your friendship and encouragement. Thanks much.

hello GT3T11 !
What a really lovely song!!! I've not heard it before now - the words really struck a chord in me (pardon the pun :o ). You played it quite nicely too! I'd like to learn it. Can you share the chords with me, please?
Thanks!

I greatly appreciate your nice words, filipinouker. We shall encourage one another, as your Tea for Two last week was really good and I want to hear more from you, whether your palms are sweaty or not. I'll PM you with a couple links about this song and maybe tell you why it means so much to me.

erivel
09-11-2012, 06:06 PM

Super sweet Jon! Wait, did I miss something? Is that a Pohaku in your hands?

Hippie Dribble
09-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Super sweet Jon! Wait, did I miss something? Is that a Pohaku in your hands?

she ran away from your place brother. Too much competition, what with Blondie and Olive...she needed more love :love: sorry mate, no hard feelings eh :p

ukuleledaddy
09-11-2012, 06:27 PM

Lovely Jon.

ukuleledaddy
09-11-2012, 06:29 PM

thanks Rob!

I enjoy your entries so much. Great one. By the way, where can I get me one of those microphone growing trees?

erivel
09-11-2012, 07:16 PM
she ran away from your place brother. Too much competition, what with Blondie and Olive...she needed more love :love: sorry mate, no hard feelings eh :p

Pretty sneaky Jon! Welcome to the club!

peewee
09-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I enjoy your entries so much. Great one. By the way, where can I get me one of those microphone growing trees?

Thanks Ukuleledaddy, very kind words there..the tree just came with the house but it wasn't until recently that it sprouted a music stand to go with the mic.

erivel
09-11-2012, 08:06 PM

That was wonderful!

erivel
09-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Ya did great there, keep it up! Beautiful spot to be wed on, congrats!

erivel
09-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Hi all,

Cool video! Great garden too, I'm envious!

erivel
09-11-2012, 09:16 PM

Jon, you and Myrna churned out quite enjoyable versions of this tune. Thanks!

erivel
09-11-2012, 09:20 PM

Nicely done Ginny! I had that album too, great band!

erivel
09-11-2012, 09:37 PM
I had a change of heart on my entry as I have to learn the song I was hoping to use and I can't be sure of getting it learnt sufficiently well by the end of the week.

Here is a charming little ditty about a girl who isn't going to marry for money...

or is she?

I'm not familiar with this piece, but your performance is top notch!

erivel
09-11-2012, 09:46 PM

Nicely done! I dig the anti-garden part!

Ukeval
09-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Cool video! Great garden too, I'm envious!
I'll do my entry soon around sheep and garden... but it is so dry now ! No rain since more than a month...

wee_ginga_yin
09-11-2012, 10:35 PM
OK I have made up a playlist for the garden week.

30th Season of the ukulele playlist (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoaM2L2cunLp6uEWZamVl1pir5vpsXIKA)

I will put a link in the first message of the garden theme so it will be easy to find
so you won't have to scroll through the forum to find the playlist.

I would really encourage you to make a video response with your official entry
to the intro video that I made... that way I will not miss out on any videos, and
it will save me trawling through the forum picking up entries or perhaps missing them.

Make your video response here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwIS9etT0L8)

Four people have managed to make a video response out of the nine entries so far.
Perhaps it is just a foreign concept and folks have never used that feature in youtube.
Instructions are in the first post if you don't know how to do it.

Oh and for every bonus song you do, your name goes into the hat an extra time,
so your chances of winning the draw increases.

It has been lovely so far... like old friends turning up out of the blue for a party
and singing songs in the garden. Keep them coming.

Tootler
09-11-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm not familiar with this piece, but your performance is top notch!

Many thanks.

The song is an English folk song. Written by that prolific songwriter "Traditional" :)

wee_ginga_yin
09-12-2012, 03:55 AM

Lovely setting Jon, and sweet playing. Brilliant bonus

thanks Rob!

That was an interesting setup... mike and paper hanging from the tree.
I has been a surprise to me that so many people are "mikeing" up in the garden.
I imagined everybody would just record with the camera mike, so I am impressed
at the effort you have gone to to get a decent sound.

That is a new song for me... never heard it before.

You got the accent down to a T. and with that CBU it has a real down home, old boy, bib and brace feel to it.
I had a look at Guy Clark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-QzLIjL1u4) singing it on YT and he was cracking up while singing the song.
It is a fun song. Great entry. It sort of reminds me of the songs Roger Miller used to sing.

Can't beat a bit of Beatles. Nice performance and tricky chords.
Loved the sunshine and the hat. Pork-pie style has panache.
Ooooops I used that word.

~dave~~wave~
09-12-2012, 03:59 AM
Great work this week from everybody, thanks for being nice to me and letting me play in the sandbox with you.

Wee Ginga ~ Farmer McGregor from the Peter Rabbit story has nothing on you, sir. Inspired theme.
Myrna- Tiptoe ~ Thanks for kicking it off in style and clearing the air by getting this one out there. Your costumes are so cute.
Myrna - Barnyard Dance ~ Love your garden, great tune. Love it when folks play standing up, love it even more when they use a little "body english", your shimmy is adorable
Ukeval - 30 Millions d'Amis ~ Merci beaucoup for the bonus track. Wow, great production. [Technical inquiry - how did you record such fantastic audio quality in the long shots with the sheep?]
Eugene - Tiptoe redux ~ Short, sweet, and lovely. Pretty setting, +1 for playing standing up.
Tootler - Green Bushes ~ Geoff, I am a huge fan of your ballads, they are the roots of so much of our "folk music" here it the States. Liege & Leaf is one of my top ten favorite records. "I was never so poor as to marry for clothes." These lyrics and the stories they tell are timeless. +1 for standing on your feet to play, +2 for not wearing a goofy hat. ;)
GT3T11 - Hang On, Little Tomato ~ Thanks for introducing me to a new song, beautiful metaphor, nicely played. +1 for standing up, +2 for going hatless.
Strumsilly - Garden Song ~ Great choice, this song is the theme to our local community radio station's call-in gardening show. Always enjoy your stuff, +1 for hatless.
Erivel - Octopus' Garden ~ Inspired choice, awesome performance
J-Peg - Homegrown Tomaters ~ For The Win! Home run! Our tomatoes here have been coming on very well, we don't have a place to grow our own but thanks to friends and farmer's markets we partake of the bounty. Love the cigar box uke.
Pee-Wee - Vegetables ~ Brian Wilson tune, what a great choice. "Threw away my candy bar and I ate the wrapper..." Beautiful setting, natural mic and music stand, +1 for standing up, +2 for hatless, +3 for dancing :D

Ukeval
09-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Here is my entry :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJv8wHeQ-HA

It is not really gardening, it is more "farming" but... You can appreciate the very sophisticated music played on the ukulele (Brko n6 and the nose flute in wood, made by Heinrich Handler, a precious gift from the Nosy Diva).
;-) Enjoy, just for fun !
For he little history, Agla, the mother, behind me when I play, had last year two lambs, but feed only one, so I feed the other and was his mother. He was following me and so "Valery had a little lamb"...

wee_ginga_yin
09-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Great work this week from everybody, thanks for being nice to me and letting me play in the sandbox with you.

Wee Ginga ~ Farmer McGregor from the Peter Rabbit story has nothing on you, sir. Inspired theme.

I thought it was more Groundkeeper Willie from the Simpsons :-)

caroljean
09-12-2012, 04:39 AM
Hey guys!

Here's my entry. My very first video. Things you should know: I was really nervous, I basically just got out of bed and didn't bother with things like hair brushing, and the patio/deck thing attached to my apartment faces the street, so there are cars streaming by.

Also, I am terrified to post this.

Oh, yeah, and the song is "The Rose"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qEVgXQFh7U

Ukeval
09-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Hey guys!

Here's my entry. My very first video. Things you should know: I was really nervous, I basically just got out of bed and didn't bother with things like hair brushing, and the patio/deck thing attached to my apartment faces the street, so there are cars streaming by.

Sweet song, keep posting !

peewee
09-12-2012, 05:22 AM
That was an interesting setup... mike and paper hanging from the tree.
I has been a surprise to me that so many people are "mikeing" up in the garden.
I imagined everybody would just record with the camera mike, so I am impressed
at the effort you have gone to to get a decent sound.

That is a new song for me... never heard it before.

If you haven't explored the weird side of the Beach Boys, it's well worth the trip. This song is from an album "Smile" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile_%28The_Beach_Boys_album%29) that did not get released at the time. There is endless discussion of what would have happened if it had come out. Pre-Sgt Pepper trippy rock album, better than the Beatles, bla bla bla. It was squashed by gutless record label men, and by Brian Wilson's Syd Barrett-like flame-out.
http://youtu.be/7IGW27jpsqY
a version of the song made it onto the Smiley Smile LP, but without the "Eat a lot sleep a lot, brush 'em like crazy" part.

~dave~~wave~
09-12-2012, 05:22 AM
...My very first video... "The Rose"

A great choice for a song, Caroljean, I remember when that movie came out based on poor, doomed Janis Joplin.
These outdoor videos are so fun when things happen like the bird flying by to sing a few notes with you.
Your fingerpicking on your little flea is quite nice, you got into the song better and better as it went along, you have great potential.
Your hair looks fabulous and natural, many ukesters might have opted for a goofy hat, +1 in my book for the bare head.

ukuloonie
09-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Hey guys!

Welcome to the Seasons Caroljean, Keep on Uke'in' Keep on entering because near the end of the song, your confidence grew and you got better.

peewee
09-12-2012, 05:59 AM
Welcome to the Seasons Caroljean, Keep on Uke'in' Keep on entering because near the end of the song, your confidence grew and you got better.

:agree: and you soldiered through the many distractions without losing the sweetness of the song. Good work, and thanks for posting, welcome!

peewee
09-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Here is my entry :

It is not really gardening, it is more "farming" but... You can appreciate the very sophisticated music played on the ukulele (Brko n6 and the nose flute in wood, made by Heinrich Handler, a precious gift from the Nosy Diva).
For he little history, Agla, the mother, behind me when I play, had last year two lambs, but feed only one, so I feed the other and was his mother. He was following me and so "Valery had a little lamb"...

And here we have the official Season-entry debut of the mighty craze that has been sweeping France: the noseflute. Before this I had only heard it in the context of Rahsaan Roland Kirk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPATPXGJgKo&feature=player_detailpage#t=72s)
That was fantastic, and a touching story too.

wee_ginga_yin
09-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Here is my entry :

It is not really gardening, it is more "farming" but... You can appreciate the very
sophisticated music played on the ukulele (Brko n6 and the nose flute in wood,
made by Heinrich Handler, a precious gift from the Nosy Diva).
For he little history, Agla, the mother, behind me when I play, had last year two
lambs, but feed only one, so I feed the other and was his mother. He was following
me and so "Valery had a little lamb"...

So you have become a surrogate mother to a lamb. Just imagine what a public relations
triumph this will prove to be once you run for political office.

I mean to say Russian President Vladimir Putin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKd5AjBxYF0) took to the skies in a motorised hang-glider
and he led a flock of young Siberian white cranes in flight. He must be such a caring man.:confused:

That nose flute was perfectly tuned by the way, and I believe that Agla the sheep behind the
fence was hearing a cascade of notes not audible to human ear, for it was evident that she wanted
to get in on the act, and for a sheep her vocal performance was not baaaaaaa'd

~dave~~wave~
09-12-2012, 06:19 AM
And here we have the official Season-entry debut of the mighty craze that has been sweeping France: the noseflute.

Heaven help me, I'm getting noseflute acquisition syndrome.

http://www.amazon.com/Set-of-Ten-Nose-Flutes/dp/B0023SNHZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347462932&sr=8-1&keywords=nose+flute

Ukeval
09-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Heaven help me, I'm getting noseflute acquisition syndrome.

http://www.amazon.com/Set-of-Ten-Nose-Flutes/dp/B0023SNHZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347462932&sr=8-1&keywords=nose+fluteIf you want the best on the market, try the Bocarina ! (apart the wodden hand made like Handler that are really good, but Bocarina is loud, easy to play !)

Garydavkra
09-12-2012, 06:52 AM
You did it! You did it! Congratulations! See it wasn't so bad. I did my first video two or three weeks ago and did one for the 29th season. I was told that it gets easier but, I think the second one took more work but, was still just as fun. I look forward to seeing more videos from you.

Hey guys!

GinnyT11
09-12-2012, 08:43 AM
And here we have the official Season-entry debut of the mighty craze that has been sweeping France: the noseflute.

I have heard of a combo that plays the nose flute, mouth harp, and ear trumpet, but can't remember where.

Dan Uke
09-12-2012, 08:57 AM
I have heard of a combo that plays the nose flute, mouth harp, and ear trumpet, but can't remember where.

Wow, I think we found some instruments that are nerdier than the ukulele!! LOL

wee_ginga_yin
09-12-2012, 09:13 AM

I think that the nose flute is particularly popular in Belgium and France and they are trying
to bring about a nose flute revolution. The tumbrels may already be rolling in the streets to
take away any citizens who can not get a tune out of the nose flute.

However the British are not buying into it. There was a brief moment when a leading ukulele
player in the UK designed a Hannibal Lecter face mask (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbFRxQl5uBk) to hold his nose flute and enable him
to perform William Blake's Jerusalem. It was a false dawn, for later he unmasked himself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZsrDrgjs-U) and
revealed that he discovered a way of playing the noseflute without actually having one. He called it 'Whistling'.

Ukeval
09-12-2012, 09:51 AM
However the British are not buying into it.
Oh oh, look at this one with the UOGB (and the Nosy Diva) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF1p2Vn-OAw&feature=plcp

wee_ginga_yin
09-12-2012, 09:52 AM

My husband gave me Pink Martini's album "Hang On, Little Tomato" when I was in a
very tough time in 2005, and this title song from it has profound meaning for me.

When I was a boy I lived in hope that someday I would switch on the radio and hear a song
that would change my life. That the words and the truth of them would be so irresistible, I would
just be knocked out cold. That the beauty of the melody would give me the shivers.
Words and music are such a potent combination and it is quite wonderful when you find a
song that resonates with something deep in your soul.

When you look at old gospel songs from the african-american tradition they usually focus
on freedom from bondage, or give hope that things will change for the better. So it is a
wonderful thing when a song can effect change in a persons life... and I am glad you have
found yours.

GinnyT11
09-12-2012, 10:11 AM
When I was a boy I lived in hope that someday I would switch on the radio and hear a song that would change my life. That the words and the truth of them would be so irresistible, I would just be knocked out cold. That the beauty of the melody would give me the shivers.
Words and music are such a potent combination and it is quite wonderful when you find a
song that resonates with something deep in your soul.

When you look at old gospel songs from the african-american tradition they usually focus
on freedom from bondage, or give hope that things will change for the better. So it is a
wonderful thing when a song can effect change in a persons life... and I am glad you have
found yours.

I played that song nearly every day when I was in cancer treatment, which was most of 2005. When Pink Martini came to our town for a concert last summer, I emailed the manager a week in advance about what the song had meant to me and asked if they'd play it. During the concert, the leader dedicated the song to me by name from the stage. It was one of the most radiant moments of my life.

uke4ia
09-12-2012, 11:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewk7OgIrPU

I was hoping to do "Memories" by Eisley, the band my rabbit is named after. But I can't find a key where it works with my voice. Still, I'm linking to the band's video for the song, because it's on a very short list of the best videos I've ever seen.

GinnyT11
09-12-2012, 12:11 PM

Geoff, I looked up the movie title you mentioned. I have clearly missed a gem in the mud. The synopsis starts: "Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond looks after the British outpost near the Khyber pass. Protected by the kilted Third Foot and Mouth regiment, you would think they were safe."
Is this a musical?

glass
09-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Decided to take this another way for garden week....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iVAi-CpwwA

decaturcomp
09-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Cool!
Congratulations on your first posted video.
Really good picking!

Hey guys!

GinnyT11
09-12-2012, 12:27 PM

GT3T11 - Hang On, Little Tomato ~ Thanks for introducing me to a new song, beautiful metaphor, nicely played. +1 for standing up, +2 for going hatless.
[/LIST]

Wavey Dave, thanks a lot this comment in your nice list of reviews.

Your Van Morrison number was perfectly a propos this week, and played nicely in a stunning setting (Technicolor!). Congrats for putting that all together...and for your long marriage. You two must make beautiful music together.

GinnyT11
09-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Here is my entry :

M. Berger, thank you for your farmyard whimsy, both with this number and your visit to the farm with your musical group. Your fingerpicking in your quiet studio is terrific, and this has shown another side of you.

GinnyT11
09-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Hey guys!

Caroljean, there is a lot of applause for you that you can't hear. It's darned hard to do that first post. But now you are a uker who has posted a video, and you can keep on doing it.

decaturcomp
09-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Terrific! What a nice version of that song.

Dwjkerr
09-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Geoff, I looked up the movie title you mentioned. I have clearly missed a gem in the mud. The synopsis starts: "Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond looks after the British outpost near the Khyber pass. Protected by the kilted Third Foot and Mouth regiment, you would think they were safe."
Is this a musical?

Comedy - Farce from the Sixties I believe.

caroljean
09-12-2012, 02:09 PM
By the way...all you all are awesome!

Thanks so much for all the good words and encouragement. Makes me feel more likely to join in next week, and less likely to crawl under a bed and hide.

It's actually funny, because I did another take that felt a little less rough...but I didn't want to lose that bird :-)

Dan Uke
09-12-2012, 02:55 PM

These days? The movie came out in 1995!

It's all good, my wife makes fun of me for not watching all the top movies when I was growing up, Top Gun, Back to the Future, Ferris Bueller, etc

J-Peg
09-12-2012, 03:51 PM
You got the accent down to a T. and with that CBU it has a real down home, old boy, bib and brace feel to it.

I grew up in the hills of Tennessee, so I come by that accent honest. I usually try to tone my Southern accent down but I went the other way with it here. It's just that kinda song.

I had a look at Guy Clark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-QzLIjL1u4) singing it on YT and he was cracking up while singing the song.
It is a fun song. Great entry. It sort of reminds me of the songs Roger Miller used to sing.

Funny thing. If you had asked me who did this song last week I would have bet money it was Roger Miller. When I went googling the words and chords I was genuinely surprised to find out it wasn't.

I agree with you about homegrown tomaters...nothing better. I like what you did with your cigar box uke, both here and for your numbers song with the special multi-jpeg effects. (Your moon number was pretty nice too.)

J-Peg - Homegrown Tomaters ~ For The Win! Home run! Our tomatoes here have been coming on very well, we don't have a place to grow our own but thanks to friends and farmer's markets we partake of the bounty. Love the cigar box uke.

Thank both of you for the compliments. I just got the CBU put together and set up right before week 29. I still love the warm sound of my mahogany Kala tenor, but the last two weeks I just happened to pick songs that needed the CBU.

myrnaukelele
09-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I wanted to see the tomato suit lol!
That was a fine first video- welcome to the Seasons:)

caroljean
09-12-2012, 04:23 PM
I wanted to see the tomato suit lol!
That was a fine first video- welcome to the Seasons:)

If only I had a tomato suit. But then a tomato suit would be so round, it might be hard to play. :-)

decaturcomp
09-12-2012, 04:30 PM
I got carried away thinking about this song and left the garden out back so I know I've broken the rules and deserve to be forever devoid of parsnips, but here's a gardenin' song from the deep South any old way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7sS_JOBBtA&list=UUa57R-HT-UlbHxQ0i2hy7yw&index=1&feature=plcp

uke4ia
09-12-2012, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqSAWCt1s4g

I probably won't get a chance to record outside while the light is good until the weekend, so I'll have to post my bonus tune first. In 2008, I played in a show called Ukestock in Worcester, Mass. I wrote up these alternate lyrics to "Woodstock" prior to the show, but I didn't sing this at the concert. I name-drop Jim Beloff because he was one of the show's headliners.

myrnaukelele
09-12-2012, 04:37 PM
awwwwwww , what a lovely one Myrna!!

That was great, Myrna. Well sung & loved the settings.

Loved the Barnyard dance too. Made me smile.

That was wonderful!

Myrna- Tiptoe ~ Thanks for kicking it off in style and clearing the air by getting this one out there. Your costumes are so cute.
Myrna - Barnyard Dance ~ Love your garden, great tune. Love it when folks play standing up, love it even more when they use a little "body english", your shimmy is adorable
Thanks all! That was a fun song to learn. And it fit the theme so well.

myrnaukelele
09-12-2012, 04:43 PM
I got carried away thinking about this song and left the garden out back so I know I've broken the rules and deserve to be forever devoid of parsnips, but here's a gardenin' song from the deep South any old way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7sS_JOBBtA&list=UUa57R-HT-UlbHxQ0i2hy7yw&index=1&feature=plcp

No parsnips for you! But I loved your garden song anyway.:)

myrnaukelele
09-12-2012, 05:04 PM

Just beautiful Ginny. I love Pink Martini and China Forbes. You should do The Gardens of Sampson & Beasly for a bonus:)

myrnaukelele
09-12-2012, 05:10 PM

"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato." Lewis Grizzard
Really- this is a great song J-Peg. I thought about doing it myself. Love the little cigar box uke too.

myrnaukelele
09-12-2012, 05:12 PM

thanks Rob!

Gotta love those veggie songs:)
Yeah I could use a couple of those microphone trees in my garden...

GinnyT11
09-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Just beautiful Ginny. I love Pink Martini and China Forbes. You should do The Gardens of Sampson & Beasly for a bonus:)

"Under Orion's starry sky, I lie in the moonlit garden..."
That's the one I turned to after YOU TOOK MY BARNYARD DANCE! ;) I'd been practicing it through the morning and was about ready to record it when I checked the thread and saw your delightful version. But I couldn't find chords to Gardens of S&B, so went with my fave of faves.
(Hope you've survived your back-at-work schedule.)

peewee
09-12-2012, 06:11 PM

You are a genius just to think of this tune - I love this tune!! And then you pull it off with all the requisite swampiness...
:bowdown:

I used to have a can of poke salad that was a treasured souvenir from Piggly Wiggly.

Dan Uke
09-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Can't tell in this video but it's pretty dark. I wanted to do another take but couldn't read the words. Standing in front of my persimmon tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxuRlDQEKo&feature=youtu.be

peewee
09-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Hi all,
Inspired by the Beach Boy's lush production on "Vege-Tables", I went off on a multitrack adventure of my own.
It started with needing to double the vocal, and not succeeding at persuading my daughter to sing and play violin.
I am in clear violation of the "shoot outside" rule, but it was all I could do to wrangle the technology inside on this one. Sorry.. Get your earplugs ready for my violin solo.

Inchworm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXi3bjKowJU&feature=player_detailpage#t=15s)

http://youtu.be/9y3Xa9ZCuHI

Also I don't have the mental or computational power to do a multi image cutaway thing like Austin1 or Erivel or Skidoo,
so you're stuck watching me lay down the basic track and imaging my intense facial expressions as I go all Coltrane on the violin and the slide whistle. So no video on the secondary tracks. Not until I upgrade away from imovie 08 and get a proper video camera that captures audio. Enjoy

Dan Uke
09-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi all,
Inspired by the Beach Boy's lush production on "Vege-Tables", I went off on a multitrack adventure of my own.
It started with needing to double the vocal, and not succeeding at persuading my daughter to sing and play violin.
I am in clear violation of the "shoot outside" rule, but it was all I could do to wrangle the technology inside on this one. Sorry.. Get your earplugs ready for my violin solo.

Inchworm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXi3bjKowJU&feature=player_detailpage#t=15s)

http://youtu.be/9y3Xa9ZCuHI

Also I don't have the mental or computational power to do a multi image cutaway thing like Austin1 or Erivel or Skidoo,
so you're stuck watching me lay down the basic track and imaging my intense facial expressions as I go all Coltrane on the violin and the slide whistle. So no video on the secondary tracks. Not until I upgrade away from imovie 08 and get a proper video camera that captures audio. Enjoy

That was great for a first time multitrack video. In no time will you make some cool ones

Dan Uke
09-12-2012, 09:17 PM

I probably won't get a chance to record outside while the light is good until the weekend, so I'll have to post my bonus tune first. In 2008, I played in a show called Ukestock in Worcester, Mass. I wrote up these alternate lyrics to "Woodstock" prior to the show, but I didn't sing this at the concert. I name-drop Jim Beloff because he was one of the show's headliners.

This was my favorite performance from you ! That is a great intro and solo and sounded like CSNY would perform this.

wee_ginga_yin
09-12-2012, 09:21 PM

Go Tony Joe :-) Guess you didn't get out in the garden cos it was a rainy night in Georgia
so I really can't whompt out on you... but don't let it happen again or the high sheriff of clahoun
parish... you know the one that caught the devil and put him in the jail in Eudora Arkansas
will be beating down you door and hauling you off in a gunny sack for correction on Parchman
farm with nothing to eat but a mess of 54 hard boiled eggs and raw parsnips.

UkeyDave
09-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Hey guys!

Thanks for sharing caroljean. Great job. Keep them coming.

glass
09-13-2012, 04:04 AM
Can't tell in this video but it's pretty dark. I wanted to do another take but couldn't read the words. Standing in front of my persimmon tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxuRlDQEKo&feature=youtu.be
Nice one Daniel!!

glass
09-13-2012, 04:06 AM

Nice bonus track!

Tootler
09-13-2012, 04:56 AM
Had a listen through some of the more (and less) recent tracks. Some great videos and locations.

@J-Peg - Homegrown Tomaters: Liked that one. Loved the sentiments expressed. I once tried growing tomatoes but without any success.
@peewee - Vege-tables: Nice one. Beach Boys eh? Not heard that one before, but other comments indicate why. Nice setting and loved the organic mic and music stand.
@eugeneukulele - Wildwood Flower: Great rendition, Jon. I always associate this tune with Woody's Reuben James as I heard that before I heard the original song.
@Ukeval - Valery had a little lamb: I loved the simplicity of the playing. Nice video.
@caroljean - The Rose: Welcome to the seasons and a very nice starter. Really nice picking on your Flea - I love my Flea. Look forward to hearing more from you.
@glass - Dead Flowers: Your Rolling Stones cover really had that Rolling Stones feel about it. Great.
@decaturcomp - Poke Salad Anne: Liked it. Loved the talk over intro.
@uke4ia - Ukestock: Excellent parody.
@nongdam - Really liked that. Very nicely played and sung as usual. Your voice really suits that style of song.
@peewee - Inchworm: Really liked that. Neat bit of multi tracking, especially as a first attempt. Well done.

Tootler
09-13-2012, 05:12 AM
Is this a musical?

Carry on up the Khyber was one of a series of low budget British Comedy films all with the title beginning "Carry on ...". You can get more info from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carry_On_(film_series)). An extract from the Wikipedia entry should give a flavour:

The films' humour was in the British comic tradition of the music hall and seaside postcards. Many of them parodied more serious films in the case of Carry On Cleo (1964), the Burton and Taylor film Cleopatra (1963).

The stock-in-trade of Carry On humour was innuendo and the sending-up of British institutions and customs...

The series ran for over 30 years from 1958 to 1992 and comprised 31 films.

Carry on up the Khyber was originally made in 1968 and was a send up of the behaviour of the British in late Victorian India. It featured a fictional Highland Scottish regiment whose stock in trade was to turn their backs to the enemy, bend over and lift up their kilts, at which point, the enemy usually ran away.

krabbers
09-13-2012, 06:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJUpqjTfMvo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Garydavkra
09-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Wow! You had my feet tapping the whole time. Nice groove.

Your Mya-Moe sounds great. If I were to order one, it would be the myrtle also. How do you like it and how does it feel?

peewee
09-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Rob, this has been a great one so far: I am dismayed that this year is the first in maybe 10 yrs that we haven’t had a robust vegetable garden, and this is the hottest and driest time of year here, my garden is a plant graveyard at the moment, nothing to show off.

Myrna: Tiptoe Kickoff. A blast-from-the-past bonus track! You have lost none of your charm, but your playing is nothing but smoother.

Dave wave: Sweet Thing: another mystical tune and this time you didn’t have to bump up the color much either! You are the shaman of the seasons

Myrna again: Barnyard Dance: How did I miss this one? So many veggies having so much fun. Makes me wish I was a wee parsnip.

Eugene: Tiptoe (purgative version) so sweet, so right. I should just keep a page of adjectives handy for commenting on your fantastic vids, because I’m never sure what to say.

Tootler: Green Bushes: another great one from your vaults. I think the dame sounds kinda fickle and true love #1 was right to shrug it off.

Strumsilly: the Garden Song: good choice, for sure. Have you tried this one on the grand-kids? Sounds great.

Erivel: Octopus’ Garden: glad this one made the list. You are brave in a way to do the obvious one, and great rendition as always.

Jpeg: Homegrown Tomaters: An ode to one of the great things in life, delivered with sincerity and twang. Very nice.

Ginny GT131: Hang on Tomato: Great Song and a touching story. When a song means a lot, it shows.

Ukeval: Valery Had A Little Noseflute: So nice to see your maternal side, and to see your beautiful farm. Short and sweet

Caroljean: The Rose: Like I already said, welcome and thanks for the sweet song and soldiering on through the distractions.

Deacturcomp: Poke Salad Annie: This is my favorite uke vid at the moment. Great.

Nongdam: Secret Garden: Dan goes Springsteen! Great song for your voice, nice to see you outdoors too.

Glass: Dead Flowers: My fave Stones era, you bring the usual Glass rockingness.

Uke4ia: Ukestock: That was heavy, man. Nice solo too.

Krabbers: Green Green Grass of Home: Where have you been? that sounds great, plus I dig your T shirt.

Hope I didn't forget anyone. Dont forget to make your vid a "video response" to the one at the top of this thread per WGY's request. If I can figure out how, you can too!

glass
09-13-2012, 09:03 AM

Yes glad you got it here!! lad to inspire you too!

wee_ginga_yin
09-13-2012, 09:07 AM

The return of the Mike.... oh wait wasn't it........

ukuleledaveey
09-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi all havent had a chance to catch up on entries yet, as my flippin laptop is playing up, god i hate technology.
Anyway here is my entry a song i wrote myself especially for this weeks theme ,plenty of veg mentioned and the elusive Parsnip mentioned , i need all the extra points to beat all you top ukers, no chance there is there !!!!! lol,
Anyway the first line was really good that sprang into my mind then the lyrics took a course all of their own, and it has come out like a benny hill come two ronnies song.
I apologise for the awful wind noise, but hey thats what happens when you record in the UK lol anyway here goes.

http://youtu.be/CBzQ3zf2Jms

Tootler
09-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Now there's a song I haven't heard in a long time. Nice one.

Hi all havent had a chance to catch up on entries yet, as my flippin laptop is playing up, god i hate technology.
Anyway here is my entry a song i wrote myself especially for this weeks theme ,plenty of veg mentioned and the elusive Parsnip mentioned , i need all the extra points to beat all you top ukers, no chance there is there !!!!! lol,
Anyway the first line was really good that sprang into my mind then the lyrics took a course all of their own, and it has come out like a benny hill come two ronnies song.
I apologise for the awful wind noise, but hey thats what happens when you record in the UK lol anyway here goes.

Liked your song, great fun. I had to use my 2nd best take on my entry as the wind noise drowned out the song completely at one point and the wind wasn't even all that strong.

wee_ginga_yin
09-13-2012, 09:44 AM

Daveey you have outdone yourself there mate. That is a veggie classic... and with regards to double entendres
it is up there with "little stick of Blackpool rock" The elusive parsnip even made a surprise appearance. I have
a question about the packet though... was it a packet of three?:old:

filipinouker
09-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Just to say I've been working my way through all the videos here and, from what I've seen & heard so far, YOU'RE ALL SOOOOOOO FABULOUS! You're all so inspiring :love:

Not only have I enjoyed each performance (and special appearances by animals and vegetables - which made me feel a little hungry! :D), but I've also learned some lovely songs which are completely new to me - e.g., Tiptoe Through the Tulips and Hold On Little Tomato

I'm not sure that I have the confidence to post a another video (I did my first one ever for the 29th season - with great difficulty!). Maybe. I do have a song in mind, but it's not about gardens or veg --- but it does mention stars, night breezes, birds and a sycamore tree. Would that count?

Anyway, whether I conquer my fears or not --- I'll keep watching and enjoying the 30th season videos :)

we tigers
09-13-2012, 10:12 AM
We're working on a They Might Be Giants song but it's not really there yet. And it's too dark in the garden to record...
Till when do we have time to submit a video?

peewee
09-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi You Tigers,

Rules state:"DEADLINES Starts: SUNDAY SEPT 9th Ends: SUNDAY SEPT 16th "

Traditionally the time cutoff has been 11:59PM Hawaii time on Sunday, but our host is in Scandinavia, so not sure exactly how he wants to work it.

You could do "Gardening at Night"... (http://youtu.be/bDy2KFE2kzI)
Looking forward to your entry.

ukuleledaveey
09-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Daveey you have outdone yourself there mate. That is a veggie classic... and with regards to double entendres
it is up there with "little stick of Blackpool rock" The elusive parsnip even made a surprise appearance. I have

many many thanks Rob :) greatly appreciated, no the "Packet" was referring to a packet of seeds, but hey it is great that you thought it meant "Something for the weekend sir?" im chuffed to bits you liked it, just a shame about the wind noise whilst filming, the funny thing was i was so nervous as my friends were home and i didnt want them to hear me singing my own song lol as i felt embaressed. cheers for a great weeks theme, an earlier take, i tried to do a scottish accent ( like Fraser, on dad's army) but i sounded more like peppie Le peux :) maybe i should do a bloopers reel but there is some extremely strong language he he he

peewee
09-13-2012, 11:20 AM
many many thanks Rob :) greatly appreciated, no the "Packet" was referring to a packet of seeds, but hey it is great that you thought it meant "Something for the weekend sir?" im chuffed to bits you liked it, just a shame about the wind noise whilst filming, the funny thing was i was so nervous as my friends were home and i didnt want them to hear me singing my own song lol as i felt embaressed. cheers for a great weeks theme, an earlier take, i tried to do a scottish accent ( like Fraser, on dad's army) but i sounded more like peppie Le peux :) maybe i should do a bloopers reel but there is some extremely strong language he he he

Bravo, that really made my ear of corn grow. You should be receiving (a) head of lettuce for your trouble.
Great stuff, loved it!!

uke4ia
09-13-2012, 11:31 AM
It belatedly occurs to me that I should have learned "Swiss Chard" by Ed's Redeeming Qualities for this week. But instead I'll go with the one I've been practicing for days.

barefootgypsy
09-13-2012, 11:38 AM
What a great theme! Only decided to do a video on the spur of the moment (ask Ginny) and I didn't read the rules first! But I can only do video with the webcam so - can't do it outdoors and my vid won't count. Never mind, I love my song and I've enjoyed doing it anyway. When I get back from my George Formby weekend, I'll enjoy watching everyone else's! There you go - April Showers.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdV_aSy7DCA&feature=plcp

Dan Uke
09-13-2012, 11:48 AM

You wrote that song? That was so cool and your skillz are definitely improving. I play with my leek too!!

Dan Uke
09-13-2012, 11:50 AM
What a great theme! Only decided to do a video on the spur of the moment (ask Ginny) and I didn't read the rules first! But I can only do video with the webcam so - can't do it outdoors and my vid won't count. Never mind, I love my song and I've enjoyed doing it anyway. When I get back from my George Formby weekend, I'll enjoy watching everyone else's! There you go - April Showers.......

Tuning the banjo up really matches your voice so that was the right choice! I liked the song and hope to see you in the future challenges!!

Hippie Dribble
09-13-2012, 12:00 PM
VERY nice singing and playing Lesley. Beautiful lil' banjo uke too. You have a very smooth and natural sense of rhythm and that was a lovely vocal. Right! Off to learn it...thanks for the inspiration mate :)

decaturcomp
09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
A)This is brilliantly done, Brian's stuff is much harder than it sounds and you nailed it
2) This is bringing out the best in people and bringing the best people out into their yards
aII) makes me sad I didn't go out to do mine.

thanks Rob!

barefootgypsy
09-13-2012, 12:49 PM
VERY nice singing and playing Lesley. Beautiful lil' banjo uke too. You have a very smooth and natural sense of rhythm and that was a lovely vocal. Right! Off to learn it...thanks for the inspiration mate :)Aw thanks Jon, I really appreciate that, truly! :)

peewee
09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
A)This is brilliantly done, Brian's stuff is much harder than it sounds and you nailed it
2) This is bringing out the best in people and bringing the best people out into their yards
aII) makes me sad I didn't go out to do mine.

I'm going to have that comment bronzed and keep it on the mantel. Brian's songs seem like 4 or 5 normal songs that got mixed together. Not so hard, but confusing to play, you have to know them really well. This one is a longtime favorite. I really appreciate the kudos. thanks.

And there's still time for a reshoot, find a tarpaper shack background with some red dirt and kudzu vines...

myrnaukelele
09-13-2012, 04:47 PM
I love your song too!
http://youtu.be/8ejz_Xpi5t8
You do a lovely version:)

J-Peg
09-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Ever since this week's topic was announced I've had this song stuck in my head.
Now some of you will have it stuck in yours, too.
Just sharing the love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13DvXLdr_H4

Garydavkra
09-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Great! Now I'm going to be humming and singing your song for the next few days! I think you should get extra points for writing it. It must of been hard trying to sing it with a straight face. I thought it was very good and funny, UkuleleDaveey.

peewee
09-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Here's the one that's been bouncing around in my head:

http://youtu.be/OFzXaFbxDcM

Dougf
09-13-2012, 06:10 PM
A classic Ellington-Armstrong tune, sorry I couldn't find any good azalea backgrounds to shoot this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYUVZvQ3gRs

decaturcomp
09-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Beautifully done. Minimal swearing AND a lovely voice, too!

wee_ginga_yin
09-13-2012, 09:39 PM
What a great theme! Only decided to do a video on the spur of the moment (ask Ginny) and I didn't read the rules first! But I can only do video with the webcam so - can't do it outdoors and my vid won't count. Never mind, I love my song and I've enjoyed doing it anyway. When I get back from my George Formby weekend, I'll enjoy watching everyone else's! There you go - April Showers.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdV_aSy7DCA&feature=plcp

Oh yes it will. If you had read the fine print I have made exceptions for anyone wearing
a floral motif on their dress, and besides, that is one of my favorite songs so it is approved
and added to the playlist.

wee_ginga_yin
09-13-2012, 09:48 PM
A classic Ellington-Armstrong tune, sorry I couldn't find any good azalea backgrounds to shoot this.

Again the cool chord changes, when I watch the change of positions, I cannot even begin to
dream as to what all those chords would be called, but I would imagine they would have names
as complicated as their shapes. Not only that but who would have thought that there were so many
words that rhymed with azalea.

I bet there is a freaky bebop tune out there that has come up with chords no one has ever heard
before, and has words that rhyme with orange :-)

Classic DougF entry. Approved and added to playlist

ukuleledaveey
09-14-2012, 03:06 AM

Bravo, that really made my ear of corn grow. You should be receiving (a) head of lettuce for your trouble.
Great stuff, loved it!!

You wrote that song? That was so cool and your skillz are definitely improving. I play with my leek too!!

Great! Now I'm going to be humming and singing your song for the next few days! I think you should get extra points for writing it. It must of been hard trying to sing it with a straight face. I thought it was very good and funny, UkuleleDaveey.
Thank you so much really appreciate your feed back and greatly appreciated, it is so nice to have the old deflated ego caressed and massaged by your lovely words :) will get round to watching the entries and leaving some nice words for you all,many thanks :)

barefootgypsy
09-14-2012, 03:36 AM
Oh yes it will. If you had read the fine print I have made exceptions for anyone wearing
a floral motif on their dress, and besides, that is one of my favorite songs so it is approved
and added to the playlist.Ha-ha, thank you! No, I hadn't seen the small print! But I did think my flowery blouse was appropriate apparel!

Tuning the banjo up really matches your voice so that was the right choice! I liked the song and hope to see you in the future challenges!!Thank you nongdam! I find it hard to find songs that match my voice - often being pitched for men, they're either too high or too low! This worked ok though - who knows, I might...

I love your song too!
http://youtu.be/8ejz_Xpi5t8
You do a lovely version:)The song always makes me smile - thank you! I'll check out the link...

Beautifully done. Minimal swearing AND a lovely voice, too!Oh thank you, that's so kind! I'm always apprehensive about exposing my voice on its own....and subjecting others to it! And I did have to do a couple of retakes because of my own reactions to the bum chords!

Thank you all for your encouragement! I think I'm improving slowly.....

Dougf
09-14-2012, 04:37 AM
Again the cool chord changes, when I watch the change of positions, I cannot even begin to
dream as to what all those chords would be called, but I would imagine they would have names
as complicated as their shapes. Not only that but who would have thought that there were so many
words that rhymed with azalea.

I bet there is a freaky bebop tune out there that has come up with chords no one has ever heard
before, and has words that rhyme with orange :-)

Classic DougF entry. Approved and added to playlist

Thanks, Rob. I've given up trying to figure out chord names, especially since some of them can have several different names for the exact same fingering. And as the bard is often paraphrased, a rose by any other name still smells the same. Or azalea, as the case may be. :)

wee_ginga_yin
09-14-2012, 07:31 AM
OK I have gone through the forum and now the Playlist includes both the official entries plus the bonus tracks
which are tagged on a the end. I have now done some editing and selected a display mode that lays out all
the entries in a colorful grid. The effect is quite kaleidoscopic with all that greenery in the background.

Click the link below to gain easy access to all the songs

30th Season of the Ukulele: Playlist and bonus tracks (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoaM2L2cunLp6uEWZamVl1pir5vpsXIKA&feature=plcp)

Ukeval
09-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Sorry not to comment all postings, but
1- my english is poor...
2- when I wake up and see there is 5 new pages on the thread... But I love all postings. This is a very good theme.
(I wonder about next season week...)

barefootgypsy
09-14-2012, 09:58 AM
OK I have gone through the forum and now the Playlist includes both the official entries plus the bonus tracks
which are tagged on a the end. I have now done some editing and selected a display mode that lays out all
the entries in a colorful grid. The effect is quite kaleidoscopic with all that greenery in the background.

Click the link below to gain easy access to all the songs

30th Season of the Ukulele: Playlist and bonus tracks (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoaM2L2cunLp6uEWZamVl1pir5vpsXIKA&feature=plcp)I love that link! Wonderful! I can catch up easily on all the videos to my heart's content on Monday! That is clever.......

ksiegel
09-14-2012, 11:26 AM
I had time to make a single, one-take video.

And the reason I don't do videos outdoors is obvious. Motorcycles, small planes, air conditioners, ambient noise, and no way to use anything but the internal mic in the Kodak PlaySport ZX3.

But I hope y'all like it - Whose Garden Was This was written by Tom Paxton in 1969. If you like this, check YouTube for his videos, and please go buy his recordings. And if you meet him in 2012, wish him a Happy 75th Birthday!

-Kurt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=n9O0sxLHw-s

Tootler
09-14-2012, 12:15 PM
What a great theme! Only decided to do a video on the spur of the moment (ask Ginny) and I didn't read the rules first! But I can only do video with the webcam so - can't do it outdoors and my vid won't count. Never mind, I love my song and I've enjoyed doing it anyway. When I get back from my George Formby weekend, I'll enjoy watching everyone else's! There you go - April Showers.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdV_aSy7DCA&feature=plcp

Glad to see you contributing again, Lesley. I loved that banjo uke and the song was very nicely sung.

Great stuff, Doug.

And the reason I don't do videos outdoors is obvious. Motorcycles, small planes, air conditioners, ambient noise, and no way to use anything but the internal mic in the Kodak PlaySport ZX3.

But I hope y'all like it - Whose Garden Was This was written by Tom Paxton in 1969. If you like this, check YouTube for his videos, and please go buy his recordings. And if you meet him in 2012, wish him a Happy 75th Birthday!

-Kurt

I'm a great Tom Paxton fan and you really did this song justice. We saw him last year in Newcastle and he was in as good a form as ever.

wee_ginga_yin
09-14-2012, 12:30 PM

And the reason I don't do videos outdoors is obvious. Motorcycles, small planes, air conditioners, ambient noise, and no way to use anything but the internal mic in the Kodak PlaySport ZX3. But I hope y'all like it - Whose Garden Was This was written by Tom Paxton in 1969. If you like this, check YouTube for his videos, and please go buy his recordings. And if you meet him in 2012, wish him a Happy 75th Birthday!
-Kurt

That was a most valiant effort of a beautiful song. It was quite spectacular how you held
your concentration amidst all that noise distraction. After the roar of the motorbike at the
beginning I would just have given up, but there was a passage of play in there when the
Cicadas seemed to augment the melody. I found myself fluctuating between watching
the chord patterns, listening to the words and melody, and fearing for further intrusions
from the outside world. Without realizing it you created a delightful tension, and I had to
listen to the end to see how it resolved itself.

As a boy I remember being deeply concerned about the environment after reading the book
Silent Spring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Spring) and I wonder how much Paxton's song was inspired by that book.

You say there were bird songs?
And squirrels in the branches,
And why is it silent?

The strange thing is today nature is not silent, and that is a good thing (except of course when you are recording)
I just get strange thoughts flitting through my head all the time. The orchestral piece 4' 33" by John Cage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7UK-6aaNA) came to mind,
where the whole orchestra remains silent for 4' 33". Everybody in the audience will hear and be aware of the ambient sound
around them... shuffling of feet... coughing, and everybody will hear a different performance.

So you can see that your performance has raised certain thoughts and ideas in my head, and I am sure everybody
who listens to it will be provoked by it in different ways.

Your work is done here :-)

Tootler
09-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Here is the song I was originally going to do. Finally got it learnt.

The song, "The Seeds of Love" is important in the English folk song canon as it was the song that started Cecil Sharp collecting. He was visiting a friend who was a vicar in Hampshire when he overheard the gardener singing the song, got out his notebook and noted the melody. He later asked the gardener, one John England to sing it again so he could get the words.

http://youtu.be/qUOs7qBeScQ

Unfortunately, the weather has not been conducive to outdoor recording these past couple of days - at least not when I've been free to record, windy with showers, so I've had to resort to recording inside. The song does mention a number of flowers, though, in fact it's loaded with Victorian flower symbolism. I had a bit of fun and added an intro on my flute - not quite overdubbing, more sequential with a short overlap.

wee_ginga_yin
09-14-2012, 01:15 PM
And there was I half expecting you were going to do

The seeds of Love by Tears for fears (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lx7uguvFzM)

Where would farmers/poets be without observing nature
The birds fly in and we plant seed
The birds fly out we reap the harvest.

Tootler
09-14-2012, 01:52 PM
And there was I half expecting you were going to do

The seeds of Love by Tears for fears (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lx7uguvFzM)

Where would farmers/poets be without observing nature
The birds fly in and we plant seed
The birds fly out we reap the harvest.

When I did a you tube search, all I got on the first n pages was b****y Tears for Fears and covers thereof. I did listen, it wasn't a bad song, just not the one I wanted.

There should be an embargo on pop singers using folk song titles. :rulez:

uke4ia
09-14-2012, 01:54 PM
There should be an embargo on pop singers using folk song titles. :rulez:

Then I guess it's a good thing I didn't decide to do the R.E.M. song "Green Grow the Rushes".

uke4ia
09-14-2012, 02:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ1YbM0L-Ng

All right, here we go with a two-fer! When I got home from work today, I sat out in front of the crabapple tree and did this. This is "Swiss Chard" by Ed's Redeeming Qualities, followed by "Let It Grow" by Eric Clapton. Other than a 10-second false start, this was my first take. My Canon Elph camera and mini-tripod are sitting on the barbecue lid. During the second chorus of "Swiss Chard", a cottontail rabbit darted across the lawn behind the camera.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi Seasonistas. I love seeing everyone in the garden/yard/park this week; thanks for a great challenge, Rob!

My grandpa's love of gardening was obvious, but he didn't manage to pass on his grubby-handed methods. Here's the evidence:

http://youtu.be/ClK8vAas784

uke4ia
09-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Nice one, Ralf. I always love some R.E.M.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Nice one, Ralf. I always love some R.E.M.

Always. Next time you're busy at the computer for an hour and a half, listen to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVVtNnHeEg

fourstringsisplenty
09-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Very nicely done, Ralf. That's a great sounding uke you got there.

Hippie Dribble
09-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Always. Next time you're busy at the computer for an hour and a half, listen to this...

Incredible job on 'Gardening At Night' Ralf. You can play anything and make it sound like sugar. As for some early REM? yes please. Got everything they put out until Monster, but it started going south for me after Out of Time...Those first few records are amazing...Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, Document. Just bliss.

peewee
09-14-2012, 06:52 PM

Nice one Ralf, I saw that tour a month earlier at Radio City Music Hall. The stage was very far away.
And your rendition was the best. SO glad somebody took that on.

ukuleledaddy
09-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi Seasonistas. I love seeing everyone in the garden/yard/park this week; thanks for a great challenge, Rob!

My grandpa's love of gardening was obvious, but he didn't manage to pass on his grubby-handed methods. Here's the evidence:

Fantastic Ralf. This is not only tons of fun but spot on and inspiring. I finally ordered the James Hill book by the way.

Canoe Lady
09-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Here is my entry for this season. No Love Today by Chris Smither. I removed a verse in order to shorten it up a speck...it's a long song.

This is the only spot I could find on the property that the deer haven't been able to reach, so there are actually still a few flowers here. Every other garden looks like it's been shaved with the #2 blade... I kid you not.

I'm also fighting some allergies, so please excuse the gravel in my voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DPG6tnX6Ac

wee_ginga_yin
09-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Here is my entry for this season. No Love Today by Chris Smither.
I removed a verse in order to shorten it up a speck...it's a long song.
This is the only spot I could find on the property that the deer haven't been able to reach,
so there are actually still a few flowers here. Every other garden looks like it's been shaved with the #2 blade... I kid you not.
I'm also fighting some allergies, so please excuse the gravel in my voice.

That was brilliant, what a wonderful song, and the setting was perfect, that flag
waving in the background was so colorfully vibrant, everything looked super saturated.
Green trees, blue flowers, white blouse... visually I thought it was quite stunning,
especially the light reflecting off the turtle inlay. Care and attention to detail in the
choice of setting.

I have never heard the song before, but found it captivating, with good advice
concerning planting the seeds of love. I have been in family situations where I
would have needed to make a call to the local store to make a quick home delivery
of some love... but it just does not work that way.

Love is not for sale, and can't buy me love is also true.

Thanks for that reminder. You piqued my interest as to who Chris Smither is
and I wanted to hear the missing verses and had to listen quite astounded to his
performance of the song. Thanks for introducing him to me.

No love today Chris Smither (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU05tLQTHCI) or if you want know what a "merlaton" is give a listen to this version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKlF-JYsYNg)

wee_ginga_yin
09-14-2012, 11:35 PM

Ralf I was wondering if you would turn up or not. I was looking forward to you entry,
and your video certainly had flare :-) Exquisite playing as usual an up to your exacting standards.
I wish I had your vocal range. There are some songs I would love to sing but I can never
hit those high notes which can be frustrating. I have to do a lot of transposing :-)

Regarding gardening you will have to become a lot older before it interests you, at least
that is what I have found, and you will know you have become very old when you start
to grow flowers.

I once was caught in a battle between two old age pensioners, who looked over a kitchen
garden of an old house. I was their digger. Mr Smith wanted me to dig the ground for potatoes
and Miss Crabtree wanted me to dig the ground for flowers.

One day Mr Smith drew me aside and said he wanted to tell me a secret... I thought it might
be a profession of love for Miss Crabtree, and he whispered in my ear the secret.
"In the winter you can't eat flowers"

But apron reflection we do need food for both the body and the soul, and should not neglect either.

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 04:23 AM

Loved your song and your performance, Daveey! Very clever songwriting---I think you should try more of it.

we tigers
09-15-2012, 04:24 AM
OK, here is our first try... Still a bit wobbly and a tad nervous, but let's hope that'll improve with the coming seasons!
It's a bit chilly to record outside so we've decided to play in front of the windows and add a little plant.

The song is C is for Conifers by They Might Be Giants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdM7IhcNr1s

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 04:27 AM

Lesley, you did a fine job for short notice (maybe that's a secret for relaxed performance) with lovely singing. The banjolele brings a different nuance to it, which was quite nice. Let's hear more from that instrument in your future vids.

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 04:32 AM
This is the only spot I could find on the property that the deer haven't been able to reach, so there are actually still a few flowers here. Every other garden looks like it's been shaved with the #2 blade... I kid you not.

Superb performance, Diane! You and the MB have become one, for sure---both of you sounded great.
I also appreciate your beautiful setting.
Now that your busy summer is over, I hope you'll be contributing regularly.

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 04:38 AM
All right, here we go with a two-fer! When I got home from work today, I sat out in front of the crabapple tree and did this. This is "Swiss Chard" by Ed's Redeeming Qualities, followed by "Let It Grow" by Eric Clapton. Other than a 10-second false start, this was my first take. During the second chorus of "Swiss Chard", a cottontail rabbit darted across the lawn behind the camera.

This may be my favorite of your performances. You do really well outside because your strong strumming and full-out singing fill the back yard and the vid has a rock vibe. Though I love Eric Clapton unplugged, I preferred Swiss Chard in this two-fer.
Looking forward to you hosting next week.

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 04:44 AM

I think it's safe to say you inhabited that song! You sound like you've eaten a mess of poke salad many a time. Maybe with a squirrel or a possum on the side. Very beautifully done.

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 04:48 AM
The song, "The Seeds of Love" is important in the English folk song canon as it was the song that started Cecil Sharp collecting. He was visiting a friend who was a vicar in Hampshire when he overheard the gardener singing the song, got out his notebook and noted the melody. He later asked the gardener, one John England to sing it again so he could get the words.
The song does mention a number of flowers, though, in fact it's loaded with Victorian flower symbolism. I had a bit of fun and added an intro on my flute - not quite overdubbing, more sequential with a short overlap.

Geoff, I never thought of someone being a song collector, but it's another way to preserve wisps of long-gone culture. This one was a nice choice for the theme. I liked your playing---both uke and flute---and the story in the song.

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 04:58 AM

Mr. Smooth Jazz does it again, and does it well again.
The songwriter struggled to write a rhyme for azalea---how many love songs have a line like "nothing evil can assail ya when you're with Azalea." That's exactly why you'd choose a girlfriend.

filipinouker
09-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Hi! I'm SO SORRY wee_ginga_yin, no matter how I tried to follow instructions, I couldn't make a video response :(

Hope this is acceptable. It's a well-known song with the words stars, night breezes, birds, sycamore tree and sunbeams. Here is my attempt to sing & play the uke, in my back garden, on a cold windy day, while controlling an itchy/drippy nose (due to hayfever!):---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r0aFNvb_dI

wee_ginga_yin
09-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Hi! I'm SO SORRY wee_ginga_yin, no matter how I tried to follow instructions, I couldn't make a video response :(
Hope this is acceptable. It's a well-known song with the words stars, night breezes, birds, sycamore tree and sunbeams. Here is my attempt to sing & play the uke, in my back garden, on a cold windy day, while controlling an itchy/drippy nose (due to hayfever!):---

No worries. I have got it covered, and have added your entry to the play list.
Classic song, well played, and worthy of Mama Cass.

I liked your lavender and hostas and my wife remarked that that shawl looked like it
was made from Solomon knots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuItYejJrfg)... she has been making tons of them lately.
See how I am in touch with my feminine side :-) Did you make it yourself?

filipinouker
09-15-2012, 06:18 AM
No worries. I have got it covered, and have added your entry to the play list.
Classic song, well played, and worthy of Mama Cass.

Very kind of you :) I am trying to build confidence - Ginny encouraged me to post a second video, having done my very first for the 29th season.

I liked your lavender and hostas

I have lots of hostas as I adore them, but so do the slugs and snails :mad: A losing battle!

my wife remarked that that shawl looked like it was made from Solomon knots... she has been making tons of them lately. Did you make it yourself?

Hello wee_ginga_yin's wife :) Yes, I made the shawl - crocheted! When I don't play the uke, I crochet. Do you crochet too, then?

See how I am in touch with my feminine side :-)

wee_ginga_yin, your wife is a lucky woman. My hubby is a bit of a caveman ;)

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 07:51 AM

Oh my goodness! Your singing is so lovely! You have a nice voice and great musicality---the dynamism that makes a nice tune on paper very interesting and individual when sung. You also have patience (which has been on back order for years for me), so you're not afraid to go slowly. I'm sure there are crowds of us here who hope you'll contribute often.

I believe there's an algorithm that shows nervousness drops 3.2% and stays lower with each video recording.

000Kanaka000
09-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Am glad someone did Octopuses Garden, it was the one i was going to do. Am in the midst
of traveling, so it's been a bit of a challenge. Well now that it's done will get back to my
travel plans unless another song pops in that would be good for the challenge and i can
fit it in between trains and plains.

we tigers
09-15-2012, 07:58 AM

Me neither... Probably has something with some settings on YouTube, but I couldn't get it done.

uke4ia
09-15-2012, 08:11 AM

I'd completely forgotten to do a video response until I saw your post. Thanks for the reminder!

Go to the box on the YouTube page where you would make a comment on the video. Left-click your mouse in this box but don't type anything, and the words "Create a video response" will appear on the lower right of the box. Click on that, and it will bring you to a list of your videos and you choose the one to be the video response. Your video won't show up on the list until Wee Ginga Yin has looked at it and approved it, so if you don't see your video on the list right away it doesn't mean you did it wrong. (I only realized this after I'd tried twice to enter my video.)

wee_ginga_yin
09-15-2012, 08:32 AM
OK, here is our first try... Still a bit wobbly and a tad nervous, but let's hope that'll improve with the coming seasons!
It's a bit chilly to record outside so we've decided to play in front of the windows and add a little plant.

Very assured performance for a first time entry. That was a very quirky song.
I have never heard it before. This season has turn up lots of new songs for me.

And now I have another fact that I can drop into conversations "do you know
there are 500 kinds of conifer"

Hey that's a real small guitar you have there... and how do you get that little piano in your mouth
Come back Dominic all is forgiven. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmUceUPvqQc)

Oh and don't worry I will add your entry to the playlist, and welcome to the season
and I hope you join in future seasons.

Rob

erivel
09-15-2012, 09:08 AM

I got a lot of catching up to do on the entries...

J-Peg this was awesome! Love the sound of that cigar box!

erivel
09-15-2012, 09:19 AM

thanks Rob!

Wow peewee! That's a tough song to tackle, considering the song mostly consists of a bass line under the vocals and then that a cappella part towards the end. Nicely done! Good use of that branch too! :)

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Welcome, welcome! Your first try was very fine---I wouldn't have known you were nervous. Nice to have a song about trees this week. There were trees in the Garden of Eden.

I liked the picking in the middle, and the melodica was a very nice addition. The second video is easier, so please come back again. We love musical duos!

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Some words for posters I haven't commented on individually

strumsilly - An I-love-produce-and-don't-care-how-you-get-it song. At least you raise your own herbs. I always like listening to your smooth singing.

erivel - Octopus was the first garden song that came to mind for lots of people, but it takes a fine player like you to get so much charm into it. I believe it's the first public performance of your baby Pohaku concert, right? Are you enjoying it as much as your two tenors?

peewee - I love everything you do because you bring an unconcerned panache to your performances. It might work well (the sheep farm not so much), but your goal is to try new things and just give them a whirl. It helps that you sing and play well, but it's the fun I like to see.

eugene - A simple and warmhearted approach to Tiptoe that made it likeable again. Your songs are always Forum favorites. I like when you try different styles, like the Sedated song last week.

glass - I'm in awe of players who bring real rock sensibility to the uke. Nice contribution.

nongdam - Your singing really suited this tune. You have lots of good songs to contribute to the forum. You were standing up this time. Do you think it makes it easier or harder to play?

krabbers - We need to see more of you in these Seasons, maybe outside your car too. Nice poignancy in the singing.

ksiegel - Such a sad song. You played it well but wore a thoughtful face, probably because of the several distractions. Is that what you look like when a flighty customer says, "No, I wanted the tall skinny half-caff latte with caramel, iced."

onlyukethatmatters - Ralf, you always submit a quality performance, and apparently it doesn't matter what era or style you're playing in. You're a cornerstone of the UU video archives.

uke4ia
09-15-2012, 10:32 AM
nongdam - Your singing really suited this tune. You have lots of good songs to contribute to the forum. You were standing up this time. Do you think it makes it easier or harder to play?

I do most of my practicing standing up, and I prefer to play standing up. I do most of my videos sitting down just because it's easier to make sure the camera is focused right. I can focus it on the chair, start it recording, and then go sit down. When I try to video myself standing up, sometimes I get done and find the whole thing is out of focus.

filipinouker
09-15-2012, 10:40 AM

Hi Canoe Lady! I loved your song, your singing and the colourful setting!

filipinouker
09-15-2012, 10:44 AM

Hi fellow newbies! I love the way you combined the sounds (your voices, the ukulele and keyboard/pipe?). The plucking in the middle, with the list of trees, is great too! Creative!

filipinouker
09-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh i like your voice!!!

filipinouker
09-15-2012, 10:51 AM
So cheerful! Grinning from ear to ear and swayed as i listened! Also admire the way you can play the uke while standing up AND dancing too!

!

ukuloonie
09-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Heres my vid
Called Sweet Pea by Amos Lee on his album Supply and Demand
I tweaked a couple of the words so mine is slightly different

http://youtu.be/k6y59uisv_4

filipinouker
09-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Heres my vid

Nice song and i like the tone of your voice. I've never seen a uke like yours before - love it!

ukuloonie
09-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Ta very much Filipinouker,
The Ukulele is from Kala they do another Two ukuleles like this, a Pineapple and a Kiwi.

wee_ginga_yin
09-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Heres my vid
I tweaked a couple of the words so mine is slightly different

Oh I loved that. I don't know how you did it but there was an incredible clarity to the vocals
with hardly any interference from nature. I think that is a song for me to learn. I liked it a lot.
Approved and added to playlist.

ukuloonie
09-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks Wee_Ginga_Yin.
I have two mikes One for the camcorder then another my H2n which I put on the music stand.
I blend the two in iMovie. then cancel out the camcorder one.

wee_ginga_yin
09-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks Wee_Ginga_Yin.
I have two mikes One for the camcorder then another my H2n which I put on the music stand.
I blend the two in iMovie. then cancel out the camcorder one.

Ah so that is the secret. During the intro I could hear the rustling of the wind in the tree
then when you started to sing it dropped away to almost nothing. Those H2n mikes
must be very good to cut out the surrounding noise. Does it have a special setting,
and do you use some sort of wind muffler?

Enquiring minds need to know.

ukuloonie
09-15-2012, 12:19 PM
I taped paper as a wind break onto my music stand and rested the mike on the stand, I made sure that the back of the music stand was facing the wind, cutting out the windy noise, there are some settings on top of the mike I'm not really sure what they do though.
I do hope to get a wind sock/glove thingy soon or find a stuffy to make one.
I do like the sound of the H2n as it gives a richer sound.

TCK
09-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Inspired by Myrna's predicament, and ours which is similar.
She is about to freeze, we have had 5 weeks with temps over 100.
Nothing is alive in the garden.
The older timers will all tell you "at least it is a dry heat".
This song is about the death of a flower.
Black Eyed Suzy- Justin Townes Earl
Great week you got going here Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fMQEaUzTMQ&feature=youtu.be

ukuloonie
09-15-2012, 12:34 PM
cool sound TCK......:shaka:............