On Second Thought

caroljean

Reaction score
Have you ever gotten a new uke, absolutely hated it, resolved to sell it, but then right before you put it up anywhere, you took out that terrible uke, one last time, to be sure, and found out you actually didn't hate it anymore, in fact you kind of liked it, and there's no way you'd want to get rid of it.

I have this pink soprano Flea. I hated the wider neck, hated the plastic fingerboard, it was too hard to tune. I'd take it out every now and then, but I never liked it any better, until a couple of days ago. Now I like the tone, and find it kind of fun to play.

Crazy right?

Been there. I find that I often hate a new uke when I first get it. If I let it sit a few weeks and play it again I'm then amazed how fabulous it is. Funny thing is that I had a similar experience to yours with my Fluke. Didn't want to touch it and then when I was getting ready to sell it, couldn't part with it.

Happens all the time. There have been a few ukes put up for sale in the marketplace forum, only to taken off a few days later by the seller.

Still, when you decide to let one go, it's OK. That's just making space for new one.

I need to let a couple go too.

Happens to me all the time. I don't know if it's "buyers remorse" or what. I do know that when my son comes over, he plays them and I get to hear what it "really sounds like" and start to like it.....so I give it a fair chance and most of the time they grow on me. I had a beautiful little Mele soprano....I'd have given anything if it had "grown on me" but it didn't. I traded it for a Lehua solid acacia long neck soprano, and it took me a while to get used to it, but it did grow on me. I just wish it was as "cute" as that Mele.

I haven't had it happen exactly that way - at the point of selling it - but I do have one that I bought about four months ago and thought when it came, "Meh, what's so special about this? Maybe the people who thought it was a weird wood selection were right." I put it aside, and have bought others since then, but about two weeks ago I took it out again and now it's the main one I play. I have others that sound better and are more expensive, but there's something about this one that is so soothing. Not crazy at all! (If I can be the judge of crazy, that is.)

Kathryn

Sometimes it could be buyers remorse and others is that you start to click with it and start to enjoy it.... I have always loved my fluke... some may have a longer time in adjusting or warming up
to a certain ukulele, as you get better, you will notice you will adjust faster or warm up faster.....good for you Caroljean....Happy Strummings...

Crazy right?

As far as crazy goes, Caroljean, we might not be the right people to ask! ;) The important thing is you like it and you still have it. Enjoy! It's like getting a new 'uke, practically free, and without having to wait. (She sounds really cute, by the way. Glad you're having fun.)

Sometimes it could be buyers remorse and others is that you start to click with it and start to enjoy it.... I have always loved my fluke... some may have a longer time in adjusting or warming up
to a certain ukulele, as you get better, you will notice you will adjust faster or warm up faster.....good for you Caroljean....Happy Strummings...

Aloha Stan..hope things are good with you..!
it drives me crazy(but in a good way)I love this website..but i can not understand how come so many people want to sell their ukes? i buy alot of um but i plan to keep and play everyone..if you have time try to explain to me thxs..if you need the money i guess that is a different story..but if you dont have the money why but it??
again i always wanted to understand this..i been on this site now about 6/7 months now..not trying to make trouble but>>just being nosey Lol

Aloha Lenny,
Many have several reasons....may not be the right uke for them is foremost, ha ha or they buy, try and sell to try ukes, could be high end ones too( for ones who do not have access to them)
or have too many and cull the herd and keep the better ones and buy more trying always to improve their collection... ha ha and the old faithful....UAS mind you if you been here long enough
you know how some praise their new ukes and others follow the current trend and hype...like how Mya Moe is currently...As you get better, you will be satisfied with any uke and any uke will be fun. when I first started, I blamed the uke, now I know better...it was me ..LOL Here's a analogy for you...Ukes are like clothes and no one brand uke doesn't work for everybody..you have to find the
right one for you...it's all personal preference in sound, looks and playablility....

Last edited:
I never hated a uke so bad that I wanted to get rid of it. I try to play each one of my ukuleles during the week. It's funny, every time I play there is always a favorite uke and I think man how lucky am I to own this uke. Then next week, my favorite is almost always a different one. Haha, that's why we keep buying them. Me and my dad joke that if we consider ourself ukulele collectors then we don't have to sell one to buy one. Hahaha!

Have you ever gotten a new uke, absolutely hated it, resolved to sell it, but then right before you put it up anywhere, you took out that terrible uke, one last time, to be sure, and found out you actually didn't hate it anymore, in fact you kind of liked it, and there's no way you'd want to get rid of it.

I have this pink soprano Flea. I hated the wider neck, hated the plastic fingerboard, it was too hard to tune. I'd take it out every now and then, but I never liked it any better, until a couple of days ago. Now I like the tone, and find it kind of fun to play.

Crazy right?

It's kind of like the situation I had with an old girlfriend when I was in my 20's.

Aloha Stan..hope things are good with you..!
it drives me crazy(but in a good way)I love this website..but i can not understand how come so many people want to sell their ukes? i buy alot of um but i plan to keep and play everyone..if you have time try to explain to me thxs..if you need the money i guess that is a different story..but if you dont have the money why but it??
again i always wanted to understand this..i been on this site now about 6/7 months now..not trying to make trouble but>>just being nosey Lol

For me, it wasn't about money. I was considering selling the Flea or even donating it to my son's school, because I was pretty sure I wasn't ever going to play it, and that seemed like a shame and like a waste of a uke that someone else could enjoy.

So if you have owned something for a week how are you supposed to know if you will like it or hate it or both over the next fifty years of your life? There appears to be a trend to have ukulele beauty parade on bulletin boards instead of a discussion of whether or not a ukulele is a good musical instrument, which is what it was made for. I have ukes with all shapes of necks and strings and tuners, and they all have their day in my life. If you asked me which ones have a square or round neck, or plastic tuners etc, I would not be able to tell you because I checked all that stuff at purchase, and now purchase is over and I am in a playing phase for the ukes.
If you have just picked up your first or fiftieth uke, check out how long you want to stay alive on the planet, your uke will last at least twice that if you look after it. If you don't need the money or the storage space, don't just get rid of it because you are not used to using it or you think it is not good looking. You spent the money, at least play it regularly for a few months and get some value and find out what it is really like as a musical instrument. If you have never been involved with making music before, you need to realise that there are a lot of things you will only "get" after playing every day for several years, you wont find them on the internet. On the other hand even if you don't need the money and have storage space, if you have a spare uke and a friend needs one, loan them the uke but don't give it to them immediately. If they really get into it and enjoy it, then tell them they can keep it, but if they don't do anything with it, make an excuse get it back and loan it to another friend.

Aloha Bill
i agree with what you have posted..the beauty parade for sure! I love how ukes look..the expensive ones look unreal..but like you, i get them to play 1st >> the sound should be the most important part anyway..but i do like looking at Nice ukes too..kind of reminds me when i was serious about golf..i kept buying new clubs to get better HaHa

Last edited:
Top Bottom