Strumming

DukeUke'Em

Reaction score
Hello there, so I've been playing for a month or two and I've gotten into habit of strumming with my thumb, not my index finger, but I've been watching the Uke Minutes series and it teaches to use index. I've been under the impression this is a matter of preference and what type of sound you want. Is this true? Just double checking

I mainly use my middle finger! Just use what
is comfortable for you,and what you are happy
with,there is no 'right way or wrong way'!

Matter of preference. I use my thumb to strum with. I've tried my index finger but the thumb is more natural for me anyway.

I usually use my elbow, but sometimes use my thumb on the down and index on the up when my elbow gets sore. The index is usually longer in most hands, so you can strum faster when necessary. you'll need all your fingers for a fan strum though.

Definitely use what works for you, but I'd suggest remaining open to other possibilities--as you gain more experience you might want to experiment with different fingers for strumming. I like the sound of my thumb on a slow down strum, but I can strum faster with my index finger.

I would hazzard a guess that there are just about as many strumming 'styles' as there are ukulele players...

The key is to find what works for you and practice, parctice, practice...

I use my thumb if I want to practice and not disturb anyone. I call it the silent strum. Otherwise I use my index finger and get a good strong strum going. Experiment and most of all have fun. I'm from Ma.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Practice withe your index finder strumming will lead to to others advance strumming in the future

At first I wasn't sure about using my index finger, it felt awkward, but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. Now the feel of all the strings against the flesh of my thumb kind of creeps me out.

Top Bottom