New family member; Custom Boat Paddle

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
Yesterday I took delivery of my second custom this year, a Boat Paddle ML style tenor. The L stands for large body.

I contacted Jerry Hoffman back in the beginning of June about building me a custom, so the turnaround time was a mere three months. I really enjoy the entire prcess of getting a custom. The choices, the communication, and the anticipation.

Here are the specs;

Narra back and sides
Western Red Cedar top
Maple bindings
bwbw pufling
side soundport
ebony headplate, bridge, and fingerboard
Waverly tuners with ebony buttons
Worth reentrant strings
MOP thumbnail postion markers
Custom shaped neck
Gloss lacquer finish
MiSi pickup

I had Jerry scale down the thickness of the neck somewhat, as the BP's that I had played before felt a little chunky. It is almost identical to my Moore Bettahs. Speaking of MB, I can't believe I am saying this, but the fit and finish are every bit the equal to my MBs. I have to tip my hat to Jerry, as Chuck is the gold standard against which all others are judged. I went over every cm of this uke and can't find a flaw. The only head scratcher is that Jerry installed a strap button on it even though I didn't request it. But given the shape of the ML style, it looks perfectly at home where it is.

Jerry tells me that he finds Western Cedar to open up faster than any other tonewood. We'll see, but it sounds fantastic now, even as the strings settle. I might put a Savarez Corum wound low G on it at some point, as I play more low G. The sound is clear and crisp, with excellent sustain and volume. The note separation is outstanding. The larger body feels very comfortable to me, and really projects. I know that some will ask, so I appologize in advance. I don't have any means for sound samples.

So enough small talk and on to what you really want to see, the pics.

038.jpg

040.jpg

016-2.jpg

017-2.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Dana!! That's a beauty for sure. Love the side sound port. I'm sure you'll make it sound great.

Beautiful ukulele, congratulations. Love the gloss finish and the fret markers. Totally different from other ukes.and very classy.

Oh my goodness. So lovely.

I'm jealous I can't quit looking at it. Talking about some great eye candy.

Wow! Just beautiful. Jerry does a fantastic job. I have one of his kayaks out of Padauk with a spruce top and I love it. I know you will enjoy this custom! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Wow, that's really pretty! I love the binding. Congratulations on your new uke. :D

Wow! Just beautiful. Jerry does a fantastic job. I have one of his kayaks out of Padauk with a spruce top and I love it. I know you will enjoy this custom! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks AK. It was your thread about your Kayak the finally prompted me to call Jerry. BTW, I see that he still has the big brother to your uke still for sale.

Alright, Dana! I'd like to hear your impressions on it compared to your King Long scale.

Congrats!

Aloha Dana,
Speechless brother...totally awesome bruddah.. Congratulations..If you wanna unload a Moore Bettah, I do
pay in 100.00 bills Hee Hee let me know..LOL Happy Strummings, it is a stunner...

Great! I've been watching Jerry's site to see when he sells the tenor. I'm glad you called him. The neck on mine is chunkier than any of the others I have, but it is also the easiest player I have by far. I can do chords on it easily and consistently that I have real trouble with on ukes with thinner necks. It's more comfortable for me as well. So how much larger is the body on the ML version. You've got my uas stirred up again!

Well done, she looks like a beauty.

What exactly is narra wood? Where does it live?

Congrats.

Top Bottom