Any George Formby fans here?

Barry Barmcake

Reaction score
Just wondering... because I know there's mixed opinions when it comes to the chap - a lot I know don't like him because of the 'gormless' image, but I'm a huge fan.

I come from Wigan in Lancashire, England where George was born... in fact, he was born about a mile away from where I live (there's a plaque there to commemorate).

Personally, I love his stuff... there's no pretention, the accent was never toned down or 'made posh' which is admirable (Yes Liam Gallagher of Oasis... ye weren't the first here) - and I love the 'cheeky' stuff... the innuendo - it's a gentile yet ever-so-slightly risqué quality from a different era.

Plus, this is a chap who entertained the troupes in WW2 in extremely dangerous conditions at one time - right on the frontline on many occasions.

Anyhow - as you can tell - I like him! :D

just wondered what others thought?

:)

Wotcha Barry - nice to see you here!

To the good people of UU, Barry is a well known uke fella and a bloody nice bloke to boot.

Yes.....I used to think he was just a bit goofy, and wierd. But over the last couple of years I've listened to a lot more of his music and have really come to appreciate it. He had a unique playing style, and I also like the "cheeky" stuff as a look in to a different era. So yes, I'm a fan.

I found his repertoire (that which I know of) tended to be three or four songs reworked over and over. This was probably the record companies fault more than his. I think he was an amazing and influential player, but I find the songs (at least the hit songs) to be a little too similar to each other.

I find Dave Matthews Band to be the same way. You don't even realize the song changed.

George was great. :)

He was the original ten men of ukedom.

Not many people know that Aldrine began his Ukulele playing career as a George Formby impersonator in the hotels and bars on Kauai. He later teamed up with Jake Shimabukuro to form the first Flanagan and Allen tribute act in Hawaii. The pair have most recently attempted to create a Wilson, Keppel and Betty trio, but this project recently suffered a setback when Brittni Paiva took out a restraining order against them.

True fact*

*May not be true

My hubby is a George Formby fan. Which means if he ever sees a banjo uke that we can afford I get it :) I really can't say if I'm a fan of him or not ... I need to listen to him more.

I am learning "With my little ukuele in my hand" to play for him on Christmas morning.

This weekend I am going to "Dock Street Uke Camp" and one of the workshops is with a "George Formby Workshop" with Ralph Shaw.

Crass. Rude. Crude. Undesirable simpleton. Yep, another massive fan here. :) One of the first songs I ever recorded on my yootoob thingy was a Formby tune. Besides, my dear friend Spookey lives just round the corner from his old place... :p

I'm a big fan, if I'm in the right mood (isn't that the way with a lot of music? Or is it just me?). A lot of his stuff DOES sound similar, and sometimes the innuendo can be a bit tiresome, but man oh man, that soloing style is mind-blowing! I can get little bits of it, but I can't put the whole thing together... maybe someday...

I grew up with his films on the TV and found them much preferable to those of Norman Wisdom. :)

Now I'm a uke player I can appreciate him much more and really must get round to watching the Frank Skinner documentary about him. Frank is a big fan and wrote this great pastiche of a Formby tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWMaBINx2Y

Also worth a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bDepUPeYC4 Proof that the great man could write tunes that would last through the ages!

Oh yes, definitely.... been practising my split-stroke, and will be off to Blackpool for the convention on Saturday in me 40's gear.... presumably you'll be there? :D

Never thought too much about George, until I got a banjo uke. Now I want to learn his style.......................which, by the way, makes my neural networks itch. Those syncopations are much more difficult that they sound. Need a whole new kind of metronome to do some of those Formby strums.

Firstly - wow. What a response!

Nice to see so many fans out there which is cheering, because sadly here in Wigan most people don't seem that bothered I ran a monthly film club showing his films and rare stuff for free - only did three - the last one, only one feller came. :(

The George Formby Society convention at Blackpool - wont be going unfortunately, but I'll be at the one in November.

Very true about the repetition I admit, there's a lot of George's stuff that sounds the same - but I live the songs - hey, he were doing it well before Status Quo eh? :D

The solos... the syncopation... The 'split stroke' and 'triple' - now THAT is why this feller really stands out. I'm still 'getting there' doing 'The Formby Style', but enjoy immensely.

For those who's never tried a uke-banjo and this style, have a go - its quite a learning experience and I reckon helps sharpen my uke technique.

:)

Thanks again for posting - ee, ah'm enjoying this - champion.

(oh and I do have th'accent same as George too)

:D

....Crass. Rude. Crude. Undesirable simpleton. Yep, another massive fan here. .... LOL Love it Jon!! I thought you were taking the mickey!!

Hi Barry - I've only taken an interest in his playing style in the last 18 months, since buying a banjo uke. I, too, am trying to master all the strokes & even tho in my head, I can hear them clearly & 'almost' play them ....... it doesn't sound like it when I try it on the uke! :(

There are HEAPS of full George Formby Movies on Youtube - so if you have a massive download capacity on your internet plan, you could really have some fun & watch them all the way thru!

We have some VERY talented Formby Style players on the forum - Jnobianchi & Johnnyfoodstamp to name but two.

cheers

Roberta

I'm a huge Formby fan. Growing up in the US, where Formby is virtually unknown, I had no exposure to him. The first time I ever heard of George Formby was watching a late night movie during a trip to London (I think it was "Keep Your Seats Please", but it was a long time ago). I thought it was delightful, but really didn't know what I was watching. My next exposure was about two years ago, on this very board, and I've been a fan ever since. I know that Formby is part of the collective consciousness in the UK, but to me, he's brand new. He's just plain entertaining, and fortunately he left a huge body of work for us to enjoy.

Top Bottom