PDA

View Full Version : Any George Formby fans here?

Barry Barmcake
09-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Just wondering... because I know there's mixed opinions when it comes to the chap - a lot I know don't like him because of the 'gormless' image, but I'm a huge fan.

I come from Wigan in Lancashire, England where George was born... in fact, he was born about a mile away from where I live (there's a plaque there to commemorate).

Personally, I love his stuff... there's no pretention, the accent was never toned down or 'made posh' which is admirable (Yes Liam Gallagher of Oasis... ye weren't the first here) - and I love the 'cheeky' stuff... the innuendo - it's a gentile yet ever-so-slightly risqué quality from a different era.

Plus, this is a chap who entertained the troupes in WW2 in extremely dangerous conditions at one time - right on the frontline on many occasions.

Anyhow - as you can tell - I like him! :D

just wondered what others thought?

:)

bazmaz
09-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Wotcha Barry - nice to see you here!

To the good people of UU, Barry is a well known uke fella and a bloody nice bloke to boot.

kenikas
09-09-2012, 04:29 AM
Yes.....I used to think he was just a bit goofy, and wierd. But over the last couple of years I've listened to a lot more of his music and have really come to appreciate it. He had a unique playing style, and I also like the "cheeky" stuff as a look in to a different era. So yes, I'm a fan.

gitarzan
09-09-2012, 05:10 AM
I found his repertoire (that which I know of) tended to be three or four songs reworked over and over. This was probably the record companies fault more than his. I think he was an amazing and influential player, but I find the songs (at least the hit songs) to be a little too similar to each other.

I find Dave Matthews Band to be the same way. You don't even realize the song changed.

buddhuu
09-09-2012, 06:54 AM
George was great. :)

spookefoote
09-09-2012, 07:45 AM
He was the original ten men of ukedom.

Newportlocal
09-09-2012, 08:08 AM
I like to listen to him when I am cleaning windows.

The Big Kahuna
09-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Not many people know that Aldrine began his Ukulele playing career as a George Formby impersonator in the hotels and bars on Kauai. He later teamed up with Jake Shimabukuro to form the first Flanagan and Allen tribute act in Hawaii. The pair have most recently attempted to create a Wilson, Keppel and Betty trio, but this project recently suffered a setback when Brittni Paiva took out a restraining order against them.

True fact*

*May not be true

Dorothy
09-09-2012, 02:19 PM
My hubby is a George Formby fan. Which means if he ever sees a banjo uke that we can afford I get it :) I really can't say if I'm a fan of him or not ... I need to listen to him more.

I am learning "With my little ukuele in my hand" to play for him on Christmas morning.

This weekend I am going to "Dock Street Uke Camp" and one of the workshops is with a "George Formby Workshop" with Ralph Shaw.

TCK
09-09-2012, 02:30 PM
huge fan here

Hippie Dribble
09-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Crass. Rude. Crude. Undesirable simpleton. Yep, another massive fan here. :) One of the first songs I ever recorded on my yootoob thingy was a Formby tune. Besides, my dear friend Spookey lives just round the corner from his old place... :p

Chris Tarman
09-09-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm a big fan, if I'm in the right mood (isn't that the way with a lot of music? Or is it just me?). A lot of his stuff DOES sound similar, and sometimes the innuendo can be a bit tiresome, but man oh man, that soloing style is mind-blowing! I can get little bits of it, but I can't put the whole thing together... maybe someday...

Ben_H
09-09-2012, 07:48 PM
I grew up with his films on the TV and found them much preferable to those of Norman Wisdom. :)

Now I'm a uke player I can appreciate him much more and really must get round to watching the Frank Skinner documentary about him. Frank is a big fan and wrote this great pastiche of a Formby tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWMaBINx2Y

Also worth a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bDepUPeYC4 Proof that the great man could write tunes that would last through the ages!

barefootgypsy
09-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Oh yes, definitely.... been practising my split-stroke, and will be off to Blackpool for the convention on Saturday in me 40's gear.... presumably you'll be there? :D

PhilUSAFRet
09-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Never thought too much about George, until I got a banjo uke. Now I want to learn his style.......................which, by the way, makes my neural networks itch. Those syncopations are much more difficult that they sound. Need a whole new kind of metronome to do some of those Formby strums.

rreffner
09-10-2012, 01:21 AM
I like everything about him.

Barry Barmcake
09-10-2012, 01:44 AM
Firstly - wow. What a response!

Nice to see so many fans out there which is cheering, because sadly here in Wigan most people don't seem that bothered I ran a monthly film club showing his films and rare stuff for free - only did three - the last one, only one feller came. :(

The George Formby Society convention at Blackpool - wont be going unfortunately, but I'll be at the one in November.

Very true about the repetition I admit, there's a lot of George's stuff that sounds the same - but I live the songs - hey, he were doing it well before Status Quo eh? :D

The solos... the syncopation... The 'split stroke' and 'triple' - now THAT is why this feller really stands out. I'm still 'getting there' doing 'The Formby Style', but enjoy immensely.

For those who's never tried a uke-banjo and this style, have a go - its quite a learning experience and I reckon helps sharpen my uke technique.

Thanks again for posting - ee, ah'm enjoying this - champion.

(oh and I do have th'accent same as George too)

:D

arpie
09-10-2012, 02:17 AM
....Crass. Rude. Crude. Undesirable simpleton. Yep, another massive fan here. .... LOL Love it Jon!! I thought you were taking the mickey!!

Hi Barry - I've only taken an interest in his playing style in the last 18 months, since buying a banjo uke. I, too, am trying to master all the strokes & even tho in my head, I can hear them clearly & 'almost' play them ....... it doesn't sound like it when I try it on the uke! :(

There are HEAPS of full George Formby Movies on Youtube - so if you have a massive download capacity on your internet plan, you could really have some fun & watch them all the way thru!

We have some VERY talented Formby Style players on the forum - Jnobianchi & Johnnyfoodstamp to name but two.

cheers

Roberta

RichM
09-10-2012, 05:26 AM
I'm a huge Formby fan. Growing up in the US, where Formby is virtually unknown, I had no exposure to him. The first time I ever heard of George Formby was watching a late night movie during a trip to London (I think it was "Keep Your Seats Please", but it was a long time ago). I thought it was delightful, but really didn't know what I was watching. My next exposure was about two years ago, on this very board, and I've been a fan ever since. I know that Formby is part of the collective consciousness in the UK, but to me, he's brand new. He's just plain entertaining, and fortunately he left a huge body of work for us to enjoy.

The Big Kahuna
09-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Wigan

We (and by "we", I mean a particular gaming/general interest forum I inhabit) had a fairly long-running, but ultimately good-natured battle with the Wigan Tonight massive.

PhilUSAFRet
09-10-2012, 08:25 AM
What we need is to have that Formby instructional DVD done so that it will work on all computers, U.S., and others that are now incompatible with that DVD.

Gillian
09-10-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm a fan also. I remember my granddad playing Formby tunes when I was growing up in Hull. He repeatedly tried to get me to play the uke, but guitars were the thing in the 60's so I stubbornly refused.

I regret that now..

Tootler
09-10-2012, 01:01 PM
I saw a quite a few of his films when I was at school. As I remember the plots were pretty thin - and the films themselves are a blur, but I do remember the uke, the cheeky song lyrics and above all those solos which are what really stuck in my consciousness over the years. We used to sing Fanlight Fanny to my daughter when she was little. Look below the surface of that song and it's actually quite a bitter song.

Yes a fan.

Barry Barmcake
09-10-2012, 09:39 PM
We have some VERY talented Formby Style players on the forum - Jnobianchi & Johnnyfoodstamp to name but two.

cheers

Roberta
Very true! I run a group on facebook called "Uke Club" and know a lot of folk from here on there... also a GF Fan group.

As to Mr. Foodstamp? I'm often corresponding with him... and he's also featured in my latest vid -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pRkL55HBgI[

Barry Barmcake
09-10-2012, 09:40 PM
We (and by "we", I mean a particular gaming/general interest forum I inhabit) had a fairly long-running, but ultimately good-natured battle with the Wigan Tonight massive.

I'm intrigued! Mainly jokes about eating pies?

ukuleledaveey
09-10-2012, 11:28 PM
When i were a lad in the 70's they would often show Formby films on a saturday morning or in the school holidays, my dad would often sit with me and watch them and laugh his head off, as he grew up in the era of george and he loved him. I have always loved the music from that era and remember, my dad getting me a L.P of chas n dave singing all the old songs loads of formby on there, i still have the L.P, so i grew up watching the films and my dad often sang the songs acapella.
He definately had a great technique playing and cheeky chapie persona, so i do like him, i ven wrote some new lyrics for "When im cleaning windows" called " I go morris dancing", only ever tried playing live once, maybe i should record it for here :).
But i lve so many of the entertainers from that generation, i adore Laurell and Hardy as did my dad,
Great thread Barry and hope to see you round the forum , ta ra for now :)

lennymac
09-11-2012, 12:03 AM
I've been playing uke for probably about 10 years now and used to get annoyed when I mentioned it and people automatically mimed "when I'm cleaning windows". I deliberately avoided Formby like the plague as he seemed to define the uk in the minds if folks here in the uk - to my mind he was formless and a bit of a joke....

However, in January during a bout of insomnia I watched a repeat of the frank skinner documentary and was instantly hooked, not so much on the actual songs/lyrical content, but WHAT A PLAYER!! I went out the next day and bought the very best banjolele I could find in glasgow and went to work. I've been working on the formby style of playing (split strokes/triples/fan etc) since then and absolutely love it!

In my opinion the lyrical content and jokey, gormless persona totally undermines his ability as a player - his strumming techniques were incredible. I'd recommend spending £5 on iTunes on one of the compilations as the uke solo's are TREMENDOUS!

barefootgypsy
09-11-2012, 01:32 AM
He definately had a great technique playing and cheeky chapie persona, so i do like him, i ven wrote some new lyrics for "When im cleaning windows" called " I go morris dancing", only ever tried playing live once, maybe i should record it for here :).
But i lve so many of the entertainers from that generation, i adore Laurell and Hardy as did my dad,
Great thread Barry and hope to see you round the forum , ta ra for now :)As a big fan of the morris, I have to ask - did you/do you go morris dancing? In any case, you HAVE to do the video! :D

barefootgypsy
09-11-2012, 01:33 AM
I've been playing uke for probably about 10 years now and used to get annoyed when I mentioned it and people automatically mimed "when I'm cleaning windows". I deliberately avoided Formby like the plague as he seemed to define the uk in the minds if folks here in the uk - to my mind he was formless and a bit of a joke....

However, in January during a bout of insomnia I watched a repeat of the frank skinner documentary and was instantly hooked, not so much on the actual songs/lyrical content, but WHAT A PLAYER!! I went out the next day and bought the very best banjolele I could find in glasgow and went to work. I've been working on the formby style of playing (split strokes/triples/fan etc) since then and absolutely love it!

In my opinion the lyrical content and jokey, gormless persona totally undermines his ability as a player - his strumming techniques were incredible. I'd recommend spending £5 on iTunes on one of the compilations as the uke solo's are TREMENDOUS!What he said - absolutely!

ukuleledaveey
09-11-2012, 02:01 AM
As a big fan of the morris, I have to ask - did you/do you go morris dancing? In any case, you HAVE to do the video! :D
NO,NEVER!!!!!!:biglaugh: i am not a morris dancer lol one of the blokes in our uke club used to be and he is a right old folkie, it was done tongue in cheek to wind him up, maybe i should video it, along with the lyrics underneath he he he

Chris Tarman
09-11-2012, 06:05 AM
I forgot to mention that I've known ABOUT George Formby for WAAAY longer than I've listened to him. He's mentioned in the liner notes of "A Night At The Opera" by Queen (Brian May's dad was a big fan and Brian played uke before he played guitar), so I've known of him since early high school. I didn't actually HEAR him until I started playing ukulele about 3 1/2 years ago.

An interesting note... When I tell people I play ukulele, nearly all Americans mention Tiny Tim and/or "Tiptoe Through The Tulips". But I have a few English friends that I see once a year or so, and THEIR first reaction was to LOUDLY start singing "With Me Little Ukulele In Me Hand".

The Big Kahuna
09-11-2012, 08:31 AM
I'm intrigued! Mainly jokes about eating pies?

http://www.trickery.net/vb/showthread.php?t=36771&highlight=wigan+tonight

A few, aye ;)

Oh yeah, it runs to over 100 pages. So stock up with Ginsters and Carlsberg before sitting down to trawl through it.

Barry Barmcake
09-11-2012, 08:52 PM
When i were a lad in the 70's they would often show Formby films on a saturday morning or in the school holidays, my dad would often sit with me and watch them and laugh his head off, as he grew up in the era of george and he loved him. I have always loved the music from that era and remember, my dad getting me a L.P of chas n dave singing all the old songs loads of formby on there, i still have the L.P, so i grew up watching the films and my dad often sang the songs acapella.
Great thread Barry and hope to see you round the forum , ta ra for now :)

lol, I like the idea of the Morris Dancing one - I've done a Marmite one... I also play a Mike Harding song about a cough sweet(!) "Uncle Joes Mintballs tothe "Window Cleaner" tune.

Yep - showing his films though - never happens now sadly... I've got 'em all, but it'd be nice to see them on telly again with other old classics (I'm a particular fan of Will Hay too).

Nice to meet you by the way - and thanks for the welcome. :)

barefootgypsy
09-11-2012, 11:13 PM
For anyone around who might be interested - meeting of the George Formby Society, everyone can get up and join in the "thrash", THIS WEEKEND at the Imperial Hotel in Blackpool, free to members, join on the door, or small entry fee for non-members. Two films to be shown on the evenings - Sat - "No Limit", Sunday - "Come On George". 40's themed weekend...... get your gas-mask out.....

from 12.00 noon on Saturday.

There - done me bit for George....and I can vouch - everyone is made VERY welcome!

Barry Barmcake
09-12-2012, 09:46 AM
For anyone around who might be interested - meeting of the George Formby Society, everyone can get up and join in the "thrash", THIS WEEKEND at the Imperial Hotel in Blackpool, free to members, join on the door, or small entry fee for non-members. Two films to be shown on the evenings - Sat - "No Limit", Sunday - "Come On George". 40's themed weekend...... get your gas-mask out.....

from 12.00 noon on Saturday.

There - done me bit for George....and I can vouch - everyone is made VERY welcome!

Excellent stuff! Alas, I can't come which is a right bugger :( I will however be coming to the November one.

Hope it's a good 'un! :)

Freeda
09-12-2012, 09:57 AM
What does gormless mean?

Barry Barmcake
09-12-2012, 10:02 AM
A bit more from me - I'm loving this thread by the way - so thanks all for contributing. I'll try to comment on all your comments best I can - apologies if I miss anyone out.

Firstly - here's one of mine - it's deliberately 'daft', but I hope it shows my affection for Dear George - I'm playing on my GH&S "Melody" uke - a belting intrument that's great for doing 'Formby style' stuff.

http://youtu.be/mJR8r8knaGs

This Formby Classic get the 'Barmcake' touch.

Caution - also contains scenes of a sore finger and some Bagpipe Hatred!

Ahem - I'll continue!

PhilUSAFret... I'm trying to get a compilation of tutorial stuff - check this:

http://georgeformby.webs.com/apps/videos/channels/show/3583901-tutorials

Gillian - ee lass, there's nowt wrong there - I was all "Heavy Metal", then folk, then dance... and now uke - a long time coming but hey, it's good stuff now!

Tootler - I agree about the song. There are lots of levels to George's songs... one of my faves is "She's Never Been Seen Since Then" - it's a jolly song about sinister deeds though - 'Psycho' done on a uke banjo!

ukuleledaveey - I'd love to hear that! Gerrit posted!

lennymac - it's weird isn't it? It's only when you take notice of George properly do you realise what a phenomenal player he was. The scenes in his films of his technique are suberb... I laugh at his expressions at times - a cross between choking and constipation lol, but I ain't surprised considering how ruddy hard it is to do!

Chris Tarman - Tiny Tim(!) There's one SCARY looking chap lol. The film 'Insidious' includes that tune too - as if it wasn't creepy enough!

The Big Kahuna - I'll check that link! I'm expecting to lol too!

Right folks I'm off.

Cheers once again for contributing - it's a champion little thread is this - Oh, and thanks to BAZMAZ for the support too - a gent! :)

RichM
09-12-2012, 10:02 AM
What does gormless mean?

Lacking in gorm. :)

Actually, it roughly transates a dope or a rube.

ukuleledaveey
09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
What does gormless mean?

A Sandwich short of a picnic or a bit dippie :) or think of george bush junior :biglaugh:

Barry Barmcake
09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Yep - gormless... hmm. I'm trying to work it out in U.S. terms... probably 'doofus' and 'gump' would apply, also what RichM posted. :)

The Big Kahuna
09-12-2012, 10:09 AM
"Barmpot" might also be an apt description.

Freeda
09-12-2012, 10:13 AM
A Sandwich short of a picnic or a bit dippie :) or think of george bush junior :biglaugh:

Um, he's my cousin. So yeah. Do you know he can fart at will?

Sucks to be Will.

1937Scott
09-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Only 'When I'm Cleaning Windows'!

What a leading edge performer! We love George!

Gillian
09-12-2012, 12:54 PM
I introduced our uke club to Formby with his "Why Don't Women Like Me?". I had to explain what a 'bean' and a 'nark' was, and now we play the song quite a bit. Of course, I accentuate my Yorkshire accent when singing it and people laugh.

I've lost a lot of my accent in everyday speech, having lived in the States for 45 years, but when I come 'ome, it's like I never left. ee by gum!

The Big Kahuna
09-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Well I'll go t'foot o' our stairs!

My accent is what is commonly referred to in England as "RP", but being a Sheffield lad born & bred, I occasionally drop back my native tongue. I spent an enjoyable and very drunk evening in a bar on Kauai a few years ago surrounded by Americans trying to understand me. They'd have had more chance translating Klingon.

Barry Barmcake
09-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Well I'll go t'foot o' our stairs!

My accent is what is commonly referred to in England as "RP", but being a Sheffield lad born & bred, I occasionally drop back my native tongue. I spent an enjoyable and very drunk evening in a bar on Kauai a few years ago surrounded by Americans trying to understand me. They'd have had more chance translating Klingon.

Same with me and my wigan accent. I work in an adjacent county - Cheshire, and although accents are similar, many people struggle with some of the things I say.

By the way - RP - what's that?

Barry Barmcake
09-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Here's something I thought I'd share... "The Practice Piece" - George's famous solo.

I took the original, changed pitch so you can play it 'Formby style' but in a 'c' (standard) tuning.

See what you think.

http://youtu.be/RyTcg36LPeE

barefootgypsy
09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
What does gormless mean?gormless - slow, half-witted... not very complimentary, is it!

barefootgypsy
09-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Here's something I thought I'd share... "The Practice Piece" - George's famous solo.

I took the original, changed pitch so you can play it 'Formby style' but in a 'c' (standard) tuning.

See what you think.

http://youtu.be/RyTcg36LPeEThat's great! Thanks for posting - I love that piece.....

Barry Barmcake
09-13-2012, 02:08 AM
That's great! Thanks for posting - I love that piece.....

No probs.
I always play in a 'c' tuning, so I did that to help me learn - amazing stuff. The man's hand's like a ruddy propellor when he plays! Exceptional. :)

The Big Kahuna
09-13-2012, 07:35 AM
By the way - RP - what's that?

"Received Pronunciation" - posh BBC World Service accent basically.

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nOl28enijM&feature=relmfu

Manalishi
09-13-2012, 07:40 AM
George Formby was politically incorrect,portrayed a
gormless,bumbling individual who was practically a
half wit in all of his films.
ABSOLUTELY GREAT!!!!!!!! Here in the UK we have to
contend with non- ukulele people asking for his songs
as soon as the instrument is mentioned.Oh well, in the
States I suppose you get the same Tiny Tim jibes?
Best description I ever heard of George's style;' He was
a one trick pony....but it was one hell of a trick!'

Barry Barmcake
09-13-2012, 09:44 PM
"Received Pronunciation" - posh BBC World Service accent basically.

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nOl28enijM&feature=relmfu

Aha. I see what you mean - same as TPL - "Talking Proper-like". :D

Great clip - I often cause a hullaballoo myself! :D

RichM
09-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Oh well, in the
States I suppose you get the same Tiny Tim jibes?
Best description I ever heard of George's style;' He was
a one trick pony....but it was one hell of a trick!'

I don't think you can compare Formby to Tiny Tim. Tiny Tim was a pop culture curiosity who had a few years in the spotlight primarily because he was unusual. Love him or not, George Formby was a huge celebrity who remains iconic to this day.

Manalishi
09-14-2012, 07:13 AM
I wasn't comparing Formby to Tiny Tim,only saying
that from non ukers,I experct you get the same bad
and lame jokes that we get, re George!

PhilUSAFRet
09-14-2012, 09:02 AM
WOW! thank you so much. I will certainly get some use out of this.

A bit more from me - I'm loving this thread by the way - so thanks all for contributing. I'll try to comment on all your comments best I can - apologies if I miss anyone out.

Firstly - here's one of mine - it's deliberately 'daft', but I hope it shows my affection for Dear George - I'm playing on my GH&S "Melody" uke - a belting intrument that's great for doing 'Formby style' stuff.

http://youtu.be/mJR8r8knaGs

This Formby Classic get the 'Barmcake' touch.

Caution - also contains scenes of a sore finger and some Bagpipe Hatred!

Ahem - I'll continue!

PhilUSAFret... I'm trying to get a compilation of tutorial stuff - check this:

http://georgeformby.webs.com/apps/videos/channels/show/3583901-tutorials

Gillian - ee lass, there's nowt wrong there - I was all "Heavy Metal", then folk, then dance... and now uke - a long time coming but hey, it's good stuff now!

Tootler - I agree about the song. There are lots of levels to George's songs... one of my faves is "She's Never Been Seen Since Then" - it's a jolly song about sinister deeds though - 'Psycho' done on a uke banjo!

ukuleledaveey - I'd love to hear that! Gerrit posted!

lennymac - it's weird isn't it? It's only when you take notice of George properly do you realise what a phenomenal player he was. The scenes in his films of his technique are suberb... I laugh at his expressions at times - a cross between choking and constipation lol, but I ain't surprised considering how ruddy hard it is to do!

Chris Tarman - Tiny Tim(!) There's one SCARY looking chap lol. The film 'Insidious' includes that tune too - as if it wasn't creepy enough!

The Big Kahuna - I'll check that link! I'm expecting to lol too!

Right folks I'm off.

Cheers once again for contributing - it's a champion little thread is this - Oh, and thanks to BAZMAZ for the support too - a gent! :)

Nickie
09-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Yep, love George!

Barry Barmcake
09-14-2012, 09:28 PM
WOW! thank you so much. I will certainly get some use out of this.

Thanks Phil. Glad I could help out. :)

Lalz
09-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Me being a recent import to the UK, I had never heard of George Formby until I started playing the ukulele a couple of years ago and people kept telling me about him.
What a man! What a musician! Love him!
I can't play any of his music yet - all those superfast split strokes are too advanced for me! - but I love listening to it and I defo intend to go to one of these GF conventions in Blackpool someday.
Oh George darling, women do like you, you know!

The Big Kahuna
09-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Yep - gormless... hmm. I'm trying to work it out in U.S. terms... probably 'doofus' and 'gump' would apply, also what RichM posted. :)

One of the greatest gifts to mankind are the words "Asshat" and "Assclown", courtesy of our colonial cousins. As a gesture of gratitude, I should like to take this opportunity to introduce them to the greatest word in the English language:

"Wazzock"

Now go practice it on your friends and acquaintances, in the almost certain knowledge that they probably won't know what the hell you're talking about.

Barry Barmcake
09-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Me being a recent import to the UK, I had never heard of George Formby until I started playing the ukulele a couple of years ago and people kept telling me about him.
What a man! What a musician! Love him!
I can't play any of his music yet - all those superfast split strokes are too advanced for me! - but I love listening to it and I defo intend to go to one of these GF conventions in Blackpool someday.
Oh George darling, women do like you, you know!

Always love it when non-UK folk appreciate George :)

Johnny Foodstamp - a regular on here, now he does some great Formby stuff - it amazes me AND brightens my day, knowing that there's a guy playing songs about a Lancashire Lad in Nashville!

To be recognised the world over - wonderful! George is a global phenomenon - and that's certainly got to be down to hom and Beryl during the war and later... they went everywhere! All over Europe... South Africa... New Zealand! Amazing stuff! :)

Barry Barmcake
09-14-2012, 11:41 PM
One of the greatest gifts to mankind are the words "Asshat" and "Assclown", courtesy of our colonial cousins. As a gesture of gratitude, I should like to take this opportunity to introduce them to the greatest word in the English language:

"Wazzock"

Now go practice it on your friends and acquaintances, in the almost certain knowledge that they probably won't know what the hell you're talking about.

lol. Not heard "wazzock" for ages.

In honour of this, I shall have to call someone a wazzock today!

I may be in hospital following this though! :D

The Big Kahuna
09-15-2012, 05:15 AM
In honour of this, I shall have to call someone a wazzock today!

I may be in hospital following this though! :D

Do what I do, and pick someone smaller. Although, since the retirement of Jimmy Krankie, this is becoming increasingly difficult.

Barry Barmcake
09-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Do what I do, and pick someone smaller. Although, since the retirement of Jimmy Krankie, this is becoming increasingly difficult.

Hmm... I know what you mean, plus I'm only 5' 6" so I'm on dodgy territory.

I did however mutter it under my breath in front of a Priest.

"What did you say?" he asked.

"Cassock" I said, "Ye've a nice cassock there, Father".

Oh yes - I'm good at back-peddling y'know! :D

Lalz
09-15-2012, 08:49 AM
George is a global phenomenon

I don't know about that... I think outside the UK he's probably mostly famous in former British colonies, not so much in other places. My friends and family might not be very representative, but noone I know in French-speaking or Scandinavian countries seems to know about him. Not even my mother who's a massive fan of musicals and old B&W movies. It's a shame (Oh! Xmas present idea for Mummy: a George Formby DVD!)

Barry Barmcake
09-15-2012, 10:09 AM
I don't know about that... I think outside the UK he's probably mostly famous in former British colonies, not so much in other places. My friends and family might not be very representative, but noone I know in French-speaking or Scandinavian countries seems to know about him. Not even my mother who's a massive fan of musicals and old B&W movies. It's a shame (Oh! Xmas present idea for Mummy: a George Formby DVD!)

I've audio footage of him performing in Sweden... and I know he was in France during the wartime, but not sure about later.

Mind you... seeing that he did the song "I'm A Froggie" with the line "I'm a dirty Frenchie doggie" that might upset a few!

Mind you - he did some right daft stuff about Wigan - and I love it! :D all tongue-in-cheek! :D

His Dad started it all about "Wigan Pier" which was nought more than a wee bit of railway line for tipping coal on barges - I often go past it - but GF's Senior and Jnr made it famous! :D

Dorothy
09-15-2012, 11:30 AM
I learned to day that it will be a long time before I'm ready to do any strumming like George Formby did. But boy did I have fun trying to get my two hands to work together. :) I took part in a George Formby strumming workshop with Ralph Shaw.
I did pick up a strumm/pluck/pluck/strumm/pluck/pluck/strum strum pattern that I want to work on and get better at .. then use in some songs. It's fun. Most of the workshop was over my head; but it gave me stuff to think about and aim for.
We also heard more about Formby, and I learned more about him. It was quite interesting.

Barry Barmcake
09-16-2012, 04:52 AM
I learned to day that it will be a long time before I'm ready to do any strumming like George Formby did. But boy did I have fun trying to get my two hands to work together. :) I took part in a George Formby strumming workshop with Ralph Shaw.
I did pick up a strumm/pluck/pluck/strumm/pluck/pluck/strum strum pattern that I want to work on and get better at .. then use in some songs. It's fun. Most of the workshop was over my head; but it gave me stuff to think about and aim for.
We also heard more about Formby, and I learned more about him. It was quite interesting.

The chap certainly led an interesting life.

There's a great book out that's a biography of both he and his father called "It's Turned Out Nice Again".

As for the technique - it's a right bugger... I keep at it though and reckon it's great fun keeping at it though. :)

Barry Barmcake
09-16-2012, 04:55 AM
"Mother what'll I do now?" my new vid in which I demolish George Formby's classic song! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ihiPDsXcpY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

arpie
09-16-2012, 11:47 AM
....I learned to day that it will be a long time before I'm ready to do any strumming like George Formby did. But boy did I have fun trying to get my two hands to work together. I took part in a George Formby strumming workshop with Ralph Shaw. I did pick up a strumm/pluck/pluck/strumm/pluck/pluck/strum strum pattern that I want to work on and get better at .....

WOW!! Lucky You!! Yeah - they make it look SO much easier than it is - I can do all the component parts separately, just can't string them together in a piece!! THO ..... in my head, I can break down all Formby's solos to make them 'easier' and I am playing along with them ...... until I pick up the uke! Then it all goes down hill! :( They reckon, once you 'get it', all is good!

Barry Barmcake
09-19-2012, 03:25 AM
Here's the audio track for "Mother What'll I Do Now" - shorter than the vid, and just the music (without all the daft stuff! :D)

http://soundcloud.com/barry-barmcake/mother-whatll-i-do-now

ichadwick
09-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I come from Wigan in Lancashire, England where George was born... in fact, he was born about a mile away from where I live (there's a plaque there to commemorate).
My father came from Oldham, Lancashire. I was brought up with my father's singing George Formby tunes around the house, and when the TV has his movies on,the whole family watched (CBC showed several of his films in the 50s and early 60s). George was popular as a morale builder during WWII, too.

I loved his stuff and have a 10-CD collection of his music. I never really connected with him musically, however, until I started playing the uke in '08, and then began to pay closer attention to his style and technique. That's when I developed a much deeper appreciation of his talent. I can listen to my whole collection in one sitting, but my wife has a lower tolerance level. Some of the songs are repetitive and variations on common patterns.

My favourite piece by him is a medley on the ukulele (not the banjo uke) with Goody Goody in the middle.

Barry Barmcake
09-20-2012, 11:03 AM
My favourite piece by him is a medley on the ukulele (not the banjo uke) with Goody Goody in the middle.

Nice to meet you Ian - and thanks for sharing the info - I agree with the repetitions certainly but I too can sit and listen the chap endlessly! :D

I know the medley you mean too - includes "I like bananas" which is great! :D

Barry Barmcake
09-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Watched one of George's films again the other day "South American George" - have to say, I love this scene and the song "The Barmaid At The Rose & Crown". :)

http://youtu.be/Of0Lfy9nsio

costaricadave
09-22-2012, 12:45 PM
I am guessing George is more of a UK thing....I can never figure out if it is comedy or not?? I can appreciate the strums but.....Much like Tiny Tim, is it supposed to be music or comedy?? No offense meant.

Barry Barmcake
09-22-2012, 01:12 PM
I am guessing George is more of a UK thing....I can never figure out if it is comedy or not?? I can appreciate the strums but.....Much like Tiny Tim, is it supposed to be music or comedy?? No offense meant.

Both Dave! :)th

George's material was often seen to be 'risqué' - some stuff banned by the BBC for innuendo. Very much light-hearted humour which he put into music (as did the people who wrote his material) - some folk found him vulgar, but the Royals adored him! Apparently, at one time, Queen Elizabeth was reputed to do a good impersonation of George when younger!!! Both she and her sister played his records endlessly - George and Beryl were often invited to perform for their parents - AND Queen Mary always insisted he played the FULL versions and not to 'dumb it down'. :)

pondweed
11-04-2012, 08:49 AM

See what you think.

http://youtu.be/RyTcg36LPeE
I hadn't come across this before, and it is very helpful, thankyou. I've just been looking at an old Johnny Foodstamp tutorial and pulled together this http://dailyukulele.wordpress.com/barmaid-at-the-rose-and-crown-solo-chords-finger-lifts-and-taps/ and I'll add some bits to the Practice Piece section as a result of seeing yours too! The more places that can signpost all the good advice (like your compilation of tutorials) the better as it saves people from reinventing the wheel.

barefootgypsy
11-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I hadn't come across this before, and it is very helpful, thankyou. I've just been looking at an old Johnny Foodstamp tutorial and pulled together this http://dailyukulele.wordpress.com/barmaid-at-the-rose-and-crown-solo-chords-finger-lifts-and-taps/ and I'll add some bits to the Practice Piece section as a result of seeing yours too! The more places that can signpost all the good advice (like your compilation of tutorials) the better as it saves people from reinventing the wheel.Thanks for that, pondweed - it all helps!

BlueLatitude
11-05-2012, 05:17 AM
I admit I haven't heard much of his stuff (yet), but I really like what I've heard. I like the slightly "naughty" songs of that era in general. And his playing just makes me happy.

kirc
11-05-2012, 06:32 AM
I am a fan. Have been since childhood when his films used to on TV occasionally.

The man had an amazing right hand!

Barry Barmcake
12-02-2012, 07:33 AM
I am a fan. Have been since childhood when his filenalms used to on TV occasionally.

The man had an amazing right hand!

Definitely. For a man much lampooned, and even detested by a lot of folk (including self-appointed 'proper' uke players) he was a phenomenal musician and could play at amazing speed.

I played guitar for years, yet to play the uke like George... even now I'm only learning and enjoying doing so, but it takes some doing! :)