My Wife Called Me A Nerd...

H

Hippie Dribble

"Well, you never used to be but you've kinda grown into it..."

Picture a quiet family evening meal, plates full of veges and mince. Can't remember how it came up exactly but we were sitting there tonight, I was playing my sopranino and making up a silly song about our pet sheep.

"...you know you DO go into op shops and buy old man shirts and corduroy trousers. you listen to sermons when you go to bed sometimes, AND... " - raising her eyebrows and staring at my mid-rift with a hint of a smile, the knockout blow - "...YOU PLAY THE UKULELE." Raucous laughter follows...

looking over to my daughter for moral support:

"Dad. Seriously? There's Aquaman and Charlie Brown comics on the bookshelf. "

Gutted. One of those watershed moments when you finally see yourself as others see you.

Any similar familial experiences to share? Do your family and friends consider you a nerd because you play the ukulele? Shucks...I sense another therapists bill on the way. And all this time I thought I was cool. :p

Last edited:
My wife thinks I'm a nerd because I spend so much time on UU, not because I play the ukulele. Don't worry Eugene, a lot of us think you're the coolest guy we know.

hey guys, thanks, but not really looking for big ups though I appreciate it.

It was just weird...totally took me by surprise. wasn't ready for it at all. Actually she brought up the computer time too, and said about how much time I spend on the computer. My reply was, 'well, so does 90% of the population. Surely they can't all be nerds" her response: "Yeah, but all you do is talk about ukuleles and look at them...." Hmmm, didn't really have a comeback line for that one....he he

Tim, I wonder if you'd mind if I join you with NERD on my avatar? :) Reminds me of the CSNY song from DeJa Vu where they sing "Let Your Freak Flag Fly"..probably just need to accept and embrace it!!!!

In her defense she did make a positive remark about nerdship, by saying that it was good I didn't care what anyone thought about how I dressed...I'll take that as a compliment anyway ha ha...

Just looked up what it actually means with eugenie...and she's right, I am a nerd. :eek:

So my question: is the ukulele a nerdy instrument?

I think many people would answer yes............though they probably don't frequent this forum :)

I think many people would answer yes............though they probably don't frequent this forum :)

ha, yeah you're totally right brother. This thread is a waste of time...sorry, was having a bit of a moment there and needed to unload!
:deadhorse:

You are one of the coolest ukulele players I know!!
Stand proud... it's not so bad being a nerd... I have a t shirt that says "I love nerds"... I live with a house full of them and they don't all play the uke!

I would bet that although they might characterize it as nerdy, they think you are quirky and fun and wouldn't change that about you.

The world would be a pretty boring place if we were all cut from the same cloth.

Nah I don't think my wife or family see me as nerdy, I think nerds though are cool like, We see the world and we start to Trends before Trends are Trendy.
ahem....err sorry they the nerds I mean, I'm just a crazy Dad and well the Ukulele comes with the package.:cool:

I'm nerdy enough to take nerd as a compliment.

Playing the ukulele makes you a nerd. Playing the accordian, however, makes you a geek. Discuss.

It's a compliment anyways- Nerds and Geeks rule the world these days.

In a 2007 interview on The Colbert Report, Richard Clarke said the difference between nerds and geeks is "geeks get it done."

Yes, but....

I prefer the Greek "dorkus malorkus".:eek:ld:

The uke not as mainstream as the guitar. Does that make it nerdy? No, just not as popular which some would label nerdy.

So Jon, your basically saying you're art loving man who likes to spend time with his family and play music, right? Gee, I think the world could use more of that type!

Some might refer to a person with a singular passion, skill, and focus as gifted or an artist or a genius, instead of a nerd or a geek.

Top Bottom