PDA

View Full Version : My Wife Called Me A Nerd...

Hippie Dribble
09-09-2012, 11:59 PM
"Well, you never used to be but you've kinda grown into it..."

Picture a quiet family evening meal, plates full of veges and mince. Can't remember how it came up exactly but we were sitting there tonight, I was playing my sopranino and making up a silly song about our pet sheep.

"...you know you DO go into op shops and buy old man shirts and corduroy trousers. you listen to sermons when you go to bed sometimes, AND... " - raising her eyebrows and staring at my mid-rift with a hint of a smile, the knockout blow - "...YOU PLAY THE UKULELE." Raucous laughter follows...

looking over to my daughter for moral support:

"Dad. Seriously? There's Aquaman and Charlie Brown comics on the bookshelf. "

Gutted. One of those watershed moments when you finally see yourself as others see you.

Any similar familial experiences to share? Do your family and friends consider you a nerd because you play the ukulele? Shucks...I sense another therapists bill on the way. And all this time I thought I was cool. :p

mm stan
09-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Did the girls gang up on you..They probally were just joking, you know they love you and so do we..here sing this to them...http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/g/grizzly_bear/you_always_hurt_the_one_you_love_crd.htm

savagehenry
09-10-2012, 12:08 AM
My wife thinks I'm a nerd because I spend so much time on UU, not because I play the ukulele. Don't worry Eugene, a lot of us think you're the coolest guy we know.

v30
09-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Eugene, on this forum you are the Fonz :-)

Hippie Dribble
09-10-2012, 12:34 AM
hey guys, thanks, but not really looking for big ups though I appreciate it.

It was just weird...totally took me by surprise. wasn't ready for it at all. Actually she brought up the computer time too, and said about how much time I spend on the computer. My reply was, 'well, so does 90% of the population. Surely they can't all be nerds" her response: "Yeah, but all you do is talk about ukuleles and look at them...." Hmmm, didn't really have a comeback line for that one....he he

Tim, I wonder if you'd mind if I join you with NERD on my avatar? :) Reminds me of the CSNY song from DeJa Vu where they sing "Let Your Freak Flag Fly"..probably just need to accept and embrace it!!!!

In her defense she did make a positive remark about nerdship, by saying that it was good I didn't care what anyone thought about how I dressed...I'll take that as a compliment anyway ha ha...

Hippie Dribble
09-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Just looked up what it actually means with eugenie...and she's right, I am a nerd. :o

So my question: is the ukulele a nerdy instrument?

v30
09-10-2012, 12:59 AM
I think many people would answer yes............though they probably don't frequent this forum :-)

Hippie Dribble
09-10-2012, 01:06 AM
I think many people would answer yes............though they probably don't frequent this forum :-)

ha, yeah you're totally right brother. This thread is a waste of time...sorry, was having a bit of a moment there and needed to unload!
:deadhorse:

fitncrafty
09-10-2012, 01:11 AM
You are one of the coolest ukulele players I know!!
Stand proud... it's not so bad being a nerd... I have a t shirt that says "I love nerds"... I live with a house full of them and they don't all play the uke!

v30
09-10-2012, 02:04 AM
I would bet that although they might characterize it as nerdy, they think you are quirky and fun and wouldn't change that about you.

The world would be a pretty boring place if we were all cut from the same cloth.

ukuloonie
09-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Nah I don't think my wife or family see me as nerdy, I think nerds though are cool like, We see the world and we start to Trends before Trends are Trendy.
ahem....err sorry they the nerds I mean, I'm just a crazy Dad and well the Ukulele comes with the package.:cool:

Lalz
09-10-2012, 03:05 AM
There's nothing wrong with being a nerd. It just means you're passionate about things, which is only good. Nerds rule the world. Truth.

luluwrites
09-10-2012, 03:05 AM
I'm nerdy enough to take nerd as a compliment.

KoaDependent
09-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Playing the ukulele makes you a nerd. Playing the accordian, however, makes you a geek. Discuss.

mm stan
09-10-2012, 03:15 AM
In a 2007 interview on The Colbert Report, Richard Clarke said the difference between nerds and geeks is "geeks get it done."

chrimess
09-10-2012, 03:41 AM
It's a compliment anyways- Nerds and Geeks rule the world these days.

In a 2007 interview on The Colbert Report, Richard Clarke said the difference between nerds and geeks is "geeks get it done."

cletus
09-10-2012, 03:49 AM
I prefer the Greek "dorkus malorkus".:old:

roxhum
09-10-2012, 04:11 AM
Embrace the Dork within!

vanflynn
09-10-2012, 04:41 AM
The uke not as mainstream as the guitar. Does that make it nerdy? No, just not as popular which some would label nerdy.

So Jon, your basically saying you're art loving man who likes to spend time with his family and play music, right? Gee, I think the world could use more of that type!

Doc_J
09-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Some might refer to a person with a singular passion, skill, and focus as gifted or an artist or a genius, instead of a nerd or a geek.

janeray1940
09-10-2012, 04:43 AM
I'm nerdy enough to take nerd as a compliment.

I was just stopping by to say exactly that! The other one I take as a compliment is "weird" and its many permutations.

Canoe Lady
09-10-2012, 04:46 AM
I always tell people I have embraced my inner geek. There comes a time when you grow comfortable with who you are, and that might not fit the mainstream view. I prefer to spend time outside with my camera than in front of a TV, or rock hunting along a beach on Lake Superior instead of shopping at the mall. If that makes me a nerd, I am soooo ok with that :)

Looks like we nerds are in good company.

frankiefirefox
09-10-2012, 05:25 AM
I always tell people I have embraced my inner geek. There comes a time when you grow comfortable with who you are, and that might not fit the mainstream view. I prefer to spend time outside with my camera than in front of a TV, or rock hunting along a beach on Lake Superior instead of shopping at the mall. If that makes me a nerd, I am soooo ok with that :)

Looks like we nerds are in good company.

Such a great point. I completely agree. If strumming on a beach is nerdy, I'm totally fine with that!

paullchter
09-10-2012, 05:37 AM
When my wife complains about my nerdy uke involvement I tell her the option is for me to get a Harley, join a biker gang, take up big game hunting for endangered species, start breeding pitbulls, and get a Flying V electric guitar.

That generally quiets her down! She might even let me get a Vespa scooter next!

Dan Uke
09-10-2012, 05:58 AM
YES!!!! But I'm cool enough to not care!

ChrisRCovington
09-10-2012, 05:58 AM
I am a nerd, so what other instrument could I play? If I listed my nerd habits/hobbies here I would be black listed from UU lol. In fact I think playing the ukulele is the "coolest" hobby I have!

peewee
09-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Hey Jon,
You are a nerd among nerds. I salute you.
And your fashion sense is fabulous, I wish I lived in a place where thrift stores weren't picked clean by hipsters and poor people.

Time to turn this into a song.
Maybe something like this Jonathan Richman take on I'm a Man: http://youtu.be/vdHjnV6jEO0

yours in nerdiness,

Peewee

Newportlocal
09-10-2012, 06:24 AM
There is always hope. Five years ago my wife had no interest in ukulele. I took a break from it for awhile. I started back at it a few months ago ,and now she plays ukulele almost everyday. I had nothing to do with that. Most importantly it makes me happy and now I am happy watching her play. As far as kids I have four of them. I know I they will probably all go through a phase where dad just isn't cool.

Tailgate
09-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Jon, from my short term experience with the uke and with this forum, I think this is the coolest group of people ever!

Everything the forum does for members and what the members expect from the forum, how members share with each other and how many are devoted to recording the words and images and songs to the YouTube universe and how members are encouraged and motivated and inspired leads me to believe that we are members of....

A CULT!

And as members of a 'cult', are we not eligible to establish ourselves as a CHURCH? And as a church, can we not take advantage of certain benefits, such as being tax exempt and as a church, we need a spiritual leader.

I nominate YOU as our NerdEvangelist.. you may be mere minutes away from being ordained and ready to serve...

How to start a church (http://www.universalministries.com/doctrine.html)

So, are you ready to be the leader of the flock of Nerds? I rather think so!

OldePhart
09-10-2012, 07:08 AM
NERD is the new COOL...

erivel
09-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Jon, your wife called you a nerd? That's nicer than what my wife called me this morning! :)

Mandalyn
09-10-2012, 07:14 AM
I had a band director call me a nerd because I am going to a uke fest. It was not.even a director I know. My friend that works for the directors marching band was talking about me playing uke. when it was mentioned I wanted to attend a festival she said I was a nerd.
It is strange to hear that because I do not see myself that way. But if playing ukulele makes me a nerd I am a very happy nerd then. :)

Freeda
09-10-2012, 07:15 AM
http://m.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between-Nerds-and-Geeks

mm stan
09-10-2012, 07:25 AM
http://m.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between-Nerds-and-Geeks

Just clicked on that link....what the hell is Larping??? LOL must be too old already...shoots..

spookefoote
09-10-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm referred to as a Geek and I like that. Nerd always seems a bit over studious to me. Mrs Spookefoote once called me a t**d. Kind of rhymes with nerd.

Dan Uke
09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
NERD is the new COOL...

I don't know about that...

mds725
09-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Jon, I aspire to be like you (well, possibly except for living in Tasmania :) ). Does that make me a nerd too?

Freeda
09-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Just clicked on that link....what the hell is Larping??? LOL must be too old already...shoots..
Live action role playing. Like a hybrid between SCA and D&D.

mds725
09-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Live action role playing. Like a hybrid between SCA and D&D.

What the hell are SCA and D&D? Lol. (Perhaps I'm not as much of a nerd as I think I am?)

Newportlocal
09-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Probably Society for Creative Anachronism and Dungeons and Dragons.:D

hoosierhiver
09-10-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't know about that...

Then you've obviously never seen the Vlogbrothers.

luluwrites
09-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Mike! Are you a Nerdfighter!?

Then you've obviously never seen the Vlogbrothers.

seeso
09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Proud Nerdfighter here!

DFTBA.

UncleElvis
09-10-2012, 11:20 AM
I wish I could say I have had similar experiences, but no one has ever said to me "You never used to be..."

From day one, I was a massive dork and always will be.

And I LOVE IT!

Freeda
09-10-2012, 11:40 AM
http://missiongeek.com/storage/post-images/2012/04/Simon%20Pegg%20Being%20a%20Geek.jpg

ksiegel
09-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't get it....

People say "Nerd" like it was a bad thing....

I was an AV Geek in Junior High and High School, and a Choir geek, and one of the Drama geeks, and my degree is in Broadcast Communications and Theater Arts - but I needed to earn a living, so I became a Firefighter/Paramedic, then went to work part time at a computer store.

All through that time, "Nerd" and "Geek" were synonymous. "DorK", on the other hand is the correct name for a male whale's procreational appendage. So Unlike Uncle Elvis, I've never been, nor do I ever intend to be a "Huge Dork".

Even though I have been called a prick a time or two...

And Jon - I'm trying to figure out the problem with Aquaman. I've got a complete run of "Metamorpho, The Element Man" in acid-free bags, for crying out loud...

-Kurt

UncleElvis
09-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Dork: "American/Canadian slang for a quirky, silly and/or stupid, socially inept person, or one who is out of touch with contemporary trends. Similar to nerd and geek, but does not imply the same intellectual proclivity."

Heehee... I'm not smart enough to be a nerd.

(Although, the other definition? No comment. *grin*)

Hippie Dribble
09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
And Jon - I'm trying to figure out the problem with Aquaman. I've got a complete run of "Metamorpho, The Element Man" in acid-free bags, for crying out loud...

-Kurt
I am too brother. That was like a knife to the heart. She didn't even bring up Archie and The Green Lantern. Can't see any problem at all. Guess that's why we're nerds he he

Love the way this thread has run gang. You guys crack me up bigtime. Just got up and reading through it, heaps of laughs. Thankyou for taking someone's self indulgent wallowings to a bright and fun place. Love youse all :)

luluwrites
09-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Proud Nerdfighter here!

DFTBA.

I doubt you've ever forgotten, Seeso.

I just love when my worlds collide!

mm stan
09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
What the hell are SCA and D&D? Lol. (Perhaps I'm not as much of a nerd as I think I am?)

+1 whoa that was over my head too Freeda...

cletus
09-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't get it....

"DorK", on the other hand is the correct name for a male whale's procreational appendage.

-Kurt

I think I saw those guys play live back in the '80's.:old:

OldePhart
09-10-2012, 01:06 PM

Nope, if you were really one of us you wouldn't have given those acronyms a second thought or even considered the possibility that somebody didn't know exactly what was meant. LOL

Freeda
09-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Nope, if you were really one of us you wouldn't have given those acronyms a second thought or even considered the possibility that somebody didn't know exactly what was meant. LOL
Haha, right?

Though I am strong in some geek/nerd culture, I am not strong in physics or chemistry. Gives me something to work towards. :)

Do what you love!!!!

Plainsong
09-10-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm more a geek than a nerd, and I'd call Eugene a geek rather than a nerd, but it's all good. Either way, where it with pride! :D

WhenDogsSing
09-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Tim, I wonder if you'd mind if I join you with NERD on my avatar? :) Reminds me of the CSNY song from DeJa Vu where they sing "Let Your Freak Flag Fly"..probably just need to accept and embrace it!!!!

Someone called me a "crinkly old man" on a video I had on my Youtube channel. That really made my day, I thought that was so funny. So yes Jon, join me with NERD on your avatar. To me, it's a badge of honor to be worn proudly...!!! Hee! Hee! Hee!

saltytri
09-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Raucous laughter follows...

Jon, here is your post, edited to the essential. I'll gladly cop to being a nerd, geek or whatever other description my wife and daughter come up with, as long as they are laughing. :)

Hippie Dribble
09-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm more a geek than a nerd, and I'd call Eugene a geek rather than a nerd, but it's all good. Either way, where it with pride! :D

gee thanks Kim. :biglaugh: Will do... :)

Newportlocal
09-10-2012, 02:24 PM

Not really sure on the first. D&D is definitely dungeons and dragons. I feel like I missed my Mensa question on the iliad and odyssey. Hope someone posts correct answers . I feel so out of the loop. I feel like I am using a binary card computer and an abacus while everyone else has a new Mac or at least programming pascal and fortran on their PC while I am stuck with MBasic. Help a guy out:D

Freeda
09-10-2012, 02:38 PM
SCA, as previously noted, is the society for creative anachronism. Imagine Renaissance Faire types who are interested in actual historic accuracy. IE building accurate and functional replicas of trebuchets and other fun gadgetry.

vanflynn
09-10-2012, 02:42 PM
I had a British college prof call me a twit on a regular basis. UK folk where does that fit it?

Newportlocal
09-10-2012, 02:42 PM
SCA, as previously noted, is the society for creative anachronism. Imagine Renaissance Faire types who are interested in actual historic accuracy. IE building accurate and functional replicas of trebuchets and other fun gadgetry.

Sounds good. Just wanted to double check. I think I was the poster that previously noted it as the possible response. Trebuchets and a mace. Thanks:D

mm stan
09-10-2012, 02:54 PM

Trebuchets are good for after thanksgiving .....let the pumpkins fly:)
but I do love them pies:drool:

Newportlocal
09-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Trebuchets are good for after thanksgiving .....let the pumpkins fly:)
but I do love them pies:drool:
The punkin chunkin world championship did look fun

arpie
09-10-2012, 05:09 PM
......Do your family and friends consider you a nerd because you play the ukulele?....

Absolutely!! It goes with the territory, I think! But now, THEY all play one too! :) So we are a family of nerds - I'd rather be called a nerd any day than being called one that starts with 't'! LOL

......you know you DO go into op shops ......

SERIOUSLY - my favourite past time apart from Uke Playing & Kayak Fishing - it is where I found my Mainland Banjo Uke, just 18 months ago, which has kick started this whole new passion!!

....said about how much time I spend on the computer. My reply was, 'well, so does 90% of the population. ....

Oooops - me three!! Last night, whilst stirring the pasta, I had my laptop in the kitchen, working on it between stirs - you should have seen Keith's face when he came in & saw me on the computer - YET AGAIN!!!

...Eugene, on this forum you are the Fonz :-).....

AGREE 100% - one VERY cool dude!

Embrace all Geeks & nerds - our countries need us!

cheerio

Roberta

mangorockfish
09-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Hey Eugene, what is mince that you were eating in the first post?

Hippie Dribble
09-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Hey Eugene, what is mince that you were eating in the first post?

just mince meat with a gravy based onion sauce. Yum. :)

TCK
09-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I tell my academic decathletes this every year. Lot's of truth there.
There's nothing wrong with being a nerd. It just means you're passionate about things, which is only good. Nerds rule the world. Truth.

TCK
09-10-2012, 07:07 PM
This thread has me in hysterics...so great.
I have a room full of accordions and more than one Vespa. Oh yeah, and my icon on my GPS is a TARDIS. I have built more than one trebouchet. Ain't a person on this earth that does not think I am a complete nerd.
Shoot- wear that badge with pride, the last place we were not in charge was the high school locker room, and who wants to go back there? You are in fine company.
Freaks, Geeks and Human Oddities, All Playing The Ukulele in The Cloverdale Kid's Musical Circus!
Gabba Gabba we accept you.

The Big Kahuna
09-10-2012, 07:33 PM
I bought a Navman GPS for the car. 2 hours after getting it home, I'd hacked it and installed TomTom 7, Navigon 7 and Igo 8 alongside the original Navman software. I can also watch movies on it now. My name is Niq and I'm a geeky nerd.

marymac
09-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Here's a test to find out if you're a Nerd, a Geek or a Dork. http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-nerd-geek-or-dork-test

I came out a "Modern, Cool Nerd - 70 % Nerd, 74% Geek, 35% Dork"

(Note: you don't have to answer the dating questions to get your results. You can just click the tiny "No thanks, just the results")

The Big Kahuna
09-10-2012, 07:52 PM
52 % Nerd, 78% Geek, 43% Dork

arpie
09-10-2012, 07:54 PM
....just mince meat with a gravy based onion sauce. Yum. ......

I think Mangorockfish may recognise it as 'ground meat' cooked up with onions & gravy. :)

cheers

Roberta

Yeah - gotta love those Mainlands!!

UncleElvis
09-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Here's a test to find out if you're a Nerd, a Geek or a Dork. http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-nerd-geek-or-dork-test

(Note: you don't have to answer the dating questions to get your results. You can just click the tiny "No thanks, just the results")

Pure Dork

43 % Nerd, 43% Geek, 57% Dork

marymac
09-10-2012, 08:10 PM

In spite of these results I self-identify as a geek.

Hippie Dribble
09-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Yep, eugenie was right. PURE NERD. :o

65% nerd; 39% geek; 43% dork

tigersister
09-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Nerds are hawt! You should take it as a compliment.

tigersister
09-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Modern, Cool Nerd

65 % Nerd, 74% Geek, 30% Dork

I see myself as more of a geek. I don't think I'm all that knowledgeable about stuff to qualify as a nerd. I do have to agree that I'm a bit of a dork.

I was never anyone's idea of cool until a couple of years ago. Now, on occasion, someone will say what I'm doing or interested in is cool. <shrugs>

joeybug
09-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm a nerd, a geek, whatever, and damn proud to be so too!

ksiegel
09-11-2012, 04:38 AM

Apparently, I am an "Outcast Genius".

It is nice to be finally recognized. You may all bow to me now. (g)

(But why I came out as 93% Dork is beyond me....)

-Kurt

Ambient Doughnut
09-11-2012, 04:57 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD-88a7msKI
You are Comic Shop Guy - QED ;)

Stevelele
09-11-2012, 05:16 AM
Jon, in Brooklyn, where I live, you would fit right in and be considered cool or a hipster

luluwrites
09-11-2012, 06:05 AM
The results are in. I am a Pure Nerd.
This is what the quiz said:
Pure Nerd
70 % Nerd, 26% Geek, 30% Dork

I believe my high dork score is because I hate big parties and have a small number of good friends -- though it could be because of the schmutz on my face and how often I walk into public places with my fly unzipped. (And yeah, I looked up schmutz to make sure I spelled it right. What of it?)

Apparently, I am an "Outcast Genius".

It is nice to be finally recognized. You may all bow to me now. (g)

(But why I came out as 93% Dork is beyond me....)

-Kurt

mangorockfish
09-11-2012, 06:44 AM
....just mince meat with a gravy based onion sauce. Yum. ......

I think Mangorockfish may recognise it as 'ground meat' cooked up with onions & gravy. :)

cheers

Roberta

Yeah - gotta love those Mainlands!!
Thank you. I had no idea what it was. Didn't know ground beef was referred to as mince meat. I love to cook so am interested in all things food. Thanks again. Rock

marymac
09-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Jon, in Brooklyn, where I live, you would fit right in and be considered cool or a hipster

Here too (Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco...)

hoosierhiver
09-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Mike! Are you a Nerdfighter!?

Oh yeah, love those guys. Sometimes they really restore my hope in humanity.

strummin'&hummin'
09-11-2012, 08:08 AM
*cough* Ugh. I've ALWAYS been a nerd. From birth actually. My wee little glasses probably were black with a wad of tape holding them together on the nose bridge. I've blossomed into an adult full of "nerd pride."

So, who cares if your family thinks your a nerd? Are you happy? Well then, that's all that matters. Carry on...

wolfchs
09-11-2012, 10:00 AM
If you're a nerd, I'm a nerd...

Plainsong
09-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Yep, eugenie was right. PURE NERD. :o

65% nerd; 39% geek; 43% dork

Yeah I'm surprised how high I scored too!

70 % Nerd, 87% Geek, 52% Dork

I'm an "Outcast Genius" I would have thought geek would have scored higher than nerd, darn my supposed intelligence! Also, Anders caught me at OkCupid thanks to this quiz. :p

Freeda
09-11-2012, 10:43 AM
I got

Outcast Genius
78 % Nerd, 52% Geek, 52% Dork

OldePhart
09-11-2012, 12:51 PM
If you're a nerd, I'm a nerd...

You "kitty" nerds? :)

Pundabaya
09-11-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm not a nerd.

Nerds are smart.

erivel
09-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Here too (Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco...)

Agreed...! :)

luluwrites
09-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Oh yeah, love those guys. Sometimes they really restore my hope in humanity.

Agreed. . .

J-Peg
09-11-2012, 01:56 PM
You're not a nerd because you play the ukulele.

You play the ukulele because you're a nerd.

Nerd pride, baby!

although I usually consider myself a geek.
I gotta go take that test now.

Modern, Cool Nerd
74 % Nerd, 57% Geek, 26% Dork

ukuLily Mars
09-11-2012, 03:03 PM
"Well, you never used to be but you've kinda grown into it..."

Picture a quiet family evening meal, plates full of veges and mince. Can't remember how it came up exactly but we were sitting there tonight, I was playing my sopranino and making up a silly song about our pet sheep.

"...you know you DO go into op shops and buy old man shirts and corduroy trousers. you listen to sermons when you go to bed sometimes, AND... " - raising her eyebrows and staring at my mid-rift with a hint of a smile, the knockout blow - "...YOU PLAY THE UKULELE." Raucous laughter follows...

looking over to my daughter for moral support:

Gutted. One of those watershed moments when you finally see yourself as others see you.

Any similar familial experiences to share? Do your family and friends consider you a nerd because you play the ukulele? Shucks...I sense another therapists bill on the way. And all this time I thought I was cool. :p

Wow, Aquaman? Sorry, my friend, can't help you. But your nerdiness really works for you!

All I can think, though, is that I want to hear the song about your sheep. I've been finding the 'ukulele is cutting into my knitting time, and perhaps that would help. :cool:

Hippie Dribble
09-11-2012, 03:47 PM
hey, what's with all you modern, cool nerds???? WTF does that mean? isn't that a contradiction in terms? To date I think I am the only one to have earned the title of PURE NERD here...will you still let me come and eat my playlunch with you guys? Um...Guys?...... :o

luluwrites
09-11-2012, 03:57 PM
hey, what's with all you modern, cool nerds???? WTF does that mean? isn't that a contradiction in terms? To date I think I am the only one to have earned the title of PURE NERD here...will you still let me come and eat my playlunch with you guys? Um...Guys?...... :o

Did you not see my post, Jon? I am PURE NERD. 70% baby. Eat my overly-intellectual dust, AquaBoy.

Hippie Dribble
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Wow, Aquaman? Sorry, my friend, can't help you. But your nerdiness really works for you!

All I can think, though, is that I want to hear the song about your sheep. I've been finding the 'ukulele is cutting into my knitting time, and perhaps that would help. :cool:

lyrics go something like this Lily...

Sammy
Woolly whether
On a tether
He's my friend

He's not a bovine
Or an equine
He's just a friend of mine
He's my friend

yeah...had to be there :p

Hippie Dribble
09-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Did you not see my post, Jon? I am PURE NERD. 70% baby. Eat my overly-intellectual dust, AquaBoy.

don't tell me you're not going to eat playlunch with me either Linda...oh well, guess I'll be off to the library to read Asterix comics...AGAIN. :)

luluwrites
09-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Oh wait . . .you have Asterix???? Okay. I'm in. Trade you my ham and cheese for your bologna.
Do you like Pogo? I've got Will Be What Was in my backpack.

Hippie Dribble
09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Oh wait . . .you have Asterix???? Okay. I'm in. Trade you my ham and cheese for your bologna.

Oh Woweee!!! Goodie!!! Love too! But, um...well, mum ran out of bologna. She only gave me tomato sandwiches and they've gone all soggy... :(

luluwrites
09-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Oh Woweee!!! Goodie!!! Love too! But, um...well, mum ran out of bologna. She only gave me tomato sandwiches and they've gone all soggy... :(
S'okay. I'll share the ham and cheese. You owe me.

ukuloonie
09-11-2012, 04:24 PM

Depends on your lunch box, what ya got on it cause thats what counts.

Hippie Dribble
09-11-2012, 04:31 PM
S'okay. I'll share the ham and cheese. You owe me.

righto. Cucumber and bologna tomorrow it is...cut in mum's special triangles. ooooooooohhh thankyou for being my friend Linda, I'm so excited I'm going to burst!!! Guess what, I've also got a special stash of Tin Tin books under my bed too...not to mention my stamps, and dried flowers and and and

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Great thread, nerds. As for me:

Pure Nerd: 78% Nerd, 26% Geek, 13% Dork

No surprise there, I am a mathematics instructor.

With so many nerds here, maybe we can start an online chapter of Lambda Lambda Lamba (co-ed, of course).

UncleElvis
09-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Is it bad that I have the entire run of Asterix, Tintin AND Pogo on my bookshelf? As well as the gigantic, complete Bone paperback, "How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way", a signed copy of "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay"...

Oh, and an entire shelf of Archie Double Digests...

(I've also got all the Tintins on my iPad...)

Canoe Lady
09-12-2012, 05:04 AM
Ya know, I found this awesome chunk of Kryptonite this summer. Perhaps one you nerds will feel a strange weakness when you see it.....are you really the next Superman perhaps?

ksiegel
09-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Do you like Pogo? I've got Will Be What Was in my backpack.

Pogo? Well, remember that Friday the Thirteenth comes on a Thursday this month...

Now, complete these stanzas:

Deck us all with Boston __________
Walla Walla Wash, and __________
Nora's Freezing on the __________
Swaller, dollar, cauliflower. Ally _________.

(I grew up reading Pogo, Archie, L'il Abner, Casper, Richie Rich, and I do remember the first issue of Spider-man. Wish I had kept it.)

-Kurt

Nickie
09-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Haha, I think that's great! My friends call me Ukulelegeek!

janeray1940
09-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Pure Nerd here: 74% nerd, 17% geek, and 43% dork.

This part made me laugh a little: "It used to be that being exceptionally smart led to being unpopular, which would ultimately lead to picking up all of the traits and tendences associated with the "dork." No-longer. Being smart isn't as socially crippling as it once was, and even more so as you get older: eventually being a Pure Nerd will likely be replaced with the following label: Purely Successful." - not gonna hold my breath here, as I close in on the half-century mark without seeing much in the way of success (in any traditional sense, anyway)! :)

peewee
09-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Pogo? Well, remember that Friday the Thirteenth comes on a Thursday this month...

Now, complete these stanzas:

Deck us all with Boston __________
Walla Walla Wash, and __________
Nora's Freezing on the __________
Swaller, dollar, cauliflower. Ally _________.

Charlie
Kalamazoo
Trolley
Garoo

TCK
09-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Tri-Lambda Material...
78% Nerd
48% Geek
61% Dork
I think I did well in all categories, but someone needs a math lesson. Ralf?
I am off to try to read some fiction I guess.

luluwrites
09-12-2012, 05:02 PM
My kids and I sing this! And . . .
"Good King Sauerkraut, look out!
On your feets uneven . . ."

If I started you off with "Confirs stay of crispness, MacTruloff sentimie . . " how far could you get?

Charlie
Kalamazoo
Trolley
Garoo

luluwrites
09-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Pure Nerd here: 74% nerd, 17% geek, and 43% dork.

This part made me laugh a little: "It used to be that being exceptionally smart led to being unpopular, which would ultimately lead to picking up all of the traits and tendences associated with the "dork." No-longer. Being smart isn't as socially crippling as it once was, and even more so as you get older: eventually being a Pure Nerd will likely be replaced with the following label: Purely Successful." - not gonna hold my breath here, as I close in on the half-century mark without seeing much in the way of success (in any traditional sense, anyway)! :)

But that's the other wonderfully nerdy thing -- as a more mature nerd, you get to define success in your own way!
Party On, Nerdy People!

Hippie Dribble
09-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Tri-Lambda Material...
78% Nerd
48% Geek
61% Dork

wow. you are the coolest geeky, dorky nerd I ever met Dave. You even saw that the percentages were out. :bowdown: Na, leave the reading til bedtime, let's have a game of chess. :p

janeray1940
09-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Tri-Lambda Material...
78% Nerd
48% Geek
61% Dork

I don't read any fiction, yet somehow I am almost as nerdy and dorky as you are. Is it the geek that is the fiction fan?

And yeah, I'm no math whiz, but somehow that doesn't add up.

peewee
09-12-2012, 07:28 PM

If I started you off with "Confirs stay of crispness, MacTruloff sentimie . . " how far could you get?

I don't know that one, but my Mom was a very devoted Pogo fan. So much so that I passed out lyric sheets and about 50 of us sang Boston Charlie after her memorial service (it was christmas time...)

and I think it's King Sauerkraut's KNEES that are uneven...

ksiegel
09-12-2012, 10:16 PM

Not far, to be honest. I'd have to go back to the collections that my parents made me leave at their house. It has been way too many years.

(Of course, I used to love hearing Walt Kelly sing "I Go Pogo" on the Dr. Demento show...)

And, crossing comics again, I did have a Shmoo when I was a kid...

-Kurt

luluwrites
09-13-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't know that one, but my Mom was a very devoted Pogo fan. So much so that I passed out lyric sheets and about 50 of us sang Boston Charlie after her memorial service (it was christmas time...)

and I think it's King Sauerkraut's KNEES that are uneven...

I love what you did for your mom's memorial. We could have done the same for my dad. Wish we had! (Although it was August. He still would have loved it.)

You might be right about the knees.

ksiegel
09-13-2012, 11:00 AM

I found this link: http://www.jarretthousenorth.com/2011/12/20/the-least-known-walt-kelly-christmas-song/

And I sorta remember the first version he gives.

Man, that was a long time ago! I don't think any of the kids I work with have ever even heard of Pogo!

-Kurt

we tigers
09-13-2012, 11:10 AM
a signed copy of "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay"...
Nice! One of my favorite novels! Together with "Carter Beats the Devil"

peewee
09-13-2012, 11:42 AM
I found this link: http://www.jarretthousenorth.com/2011/12/20/the-least-known-walt-kelly-christmas-song/

And I sorta remember the first version he gives.

Man, that was a long time ago! I don't think any of the kids I work with have ever even heard of Pogo!

-Kurt

I can't help but notice that those lyrics mention a PARSNIP and would be fodder for this week's season contest...

luluwrites
09-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Ha! I have signed copies of both these books! I am Queen Nerd!

Barry Barmcake
09-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Okay then... if it's nerdishness - I certainly qualify.

I play uke and uke-banjo, I also do comedy stuff... the name 'Barry Barmcake' is sort of my 'stage persona' (Barmcake is actually a type of bread roll) - I regularly make vids sat in my car in supermarket carparks, wearing glasses with a band-aid on one lens, plus a bobcap (beanie) and I play uke whilst doing so - I get lots of great feedback, but it's certainly an 'oddity' seen by many! :)D

I also used to do some ventriloquism... I've done comedy impersonations... done some zombie fx vids etc. etc.

So I'd say I've quite a vivid imagination and am pretty creative.

Oh... and I'm also a huge fan of Star Wars and Doctor Who - so my 'nerdishness' is bordering on geekdom too!

The main thing though?

I ENJOY myself - and that's what it's all about - I'm sure you guys do too.

I've quite a serious and challenging job (I'm a Psychiatric Nurse working with Older People, mainly Dementia Care) and I think that enjoyment outside work is extremely important, and helps me to do my job better too.

Anyhow - enough rambling from me - off to work I go - with a bit of uke playing in my lunchbreak :)

hoosierhiver
09-14-2012, 04:23 AM
I've quite a serious and challenging job (I'm a Psychiatric Nurse working with Older People, mainly Dementia Care) and I think that enjoyment outside work is extremely important, and helps me to do my job better too.

Anyhow - enough rambling from me - off to work I go - with a bit of uke playing in my lunchbreak :)

I used to work with alzheimers folks too, you've got my respect.

UncleElvis
09-14-2012, 06:33 AM

RIGHT? I've read that one about 5 times and K&C about 8!
Amazing...

UncleElvis
09-14-2012, 06:34 AM
Ha! I have signed copies of both these books! I am Queen Nerd!

I bow before you!

ksiegel
09-14-2012, 10:49 AM
I have the complete collection of Bob Clampett's "Beanie & Cecil" cartoons on VHS - Original, commercial, bought & Paid for even - no pirated stuff in my house.

I wish I had videos of the original puppet show with Stan Freberg and Dawes Butler, though...

(I think this helps with Nerd/Geek credentials...)

-Kurt