to much practice

luckyends

Reaction score
hey so ive been playing guitar for about a month and im starting to notice after a while its no longer fun or productive just kinda fumbaling around on the fret board

so how long is practice actualy help full and at what point does it just become beating your... well fingers against the fret board?

Practice is always helpful. Always. Push yourself. Get some difficult tabs and work on those.

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
etc.

Try learning new stuff:

Tabs
Chords (some of the trickier 'sus' and 7th and such)
Chord Progressions
Some licks

good advice, i was feeling the same thing for awhile, then i turned to youtube and learned new songs. it was frustrating at first because i couldnt play any songs legibly, they all sounded like crap, nothing was as easy as playing 'ukulele . but with practice, i could play "stand by me" by Ben E. King (real good song), Put Your Lights On by Santana and Everlast, and a Kina Grannis song "Cambridge'

Somehow, make practicing fun. Work on learning a new song. My practice evolves around learning songs that were inspired by looking into "You-tube".
Good luck:)

I ran into that wall five years ago on guitar, and I'm still trying to pull myself out of the slump. :( Somehow I'm much more productive on the uke! Nearly everything I've learned on guitar recently has been a result of my uke playing. When in doubt, look for inspiration elsewhere. Try your uke licks on guitar; they'll feel and sound completely different, and might bring you someplace new. :D

Just imagine playing a 2 to 3 hour gig, luckyends. You'd be surprized how many mistakes I make playing on stage. My best advice is just to "Power Through It"! The audience usually just thinks you were playing your own "arrangement". It's just like any other form of physical exercise. The more you practice, the better conditioned you are for performing. I still remember the USMC boot camp sign: "The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war". That applies to many facets of life. Ric

There are always downtimes.. You got to surpass them to get better. Try a new style of music, maybe some basic blues improvisations or so to get your motivation back again and the knowledge that you get better with every minute you practice. It just doesn't always show right away.

Top Bottom