Playing with someone else playing the guitar

jvarian

Reaction score
Ok,
I come from a guitar playing background.
(However dont know much about theory)

Im new to the uke and can play a few chords.

Ill give you an example.
Myself and my brother want to play a song together.
Him on the guitar
Me on the uke
If both of us play a C then it doesnt sound right.

Should I transpose back 5 steps?

A C chord on your uke is a G chord on his guitar. Have your brother capo the fifth fret & you will be playing the same notes/chords (except your reentrant high G & his additional two lower strings). Or you can transpose in your head since you also have a guitar background. I often jam w/guitar players & do the switch in my head.

Mahalo

A C chord on your uke is a G chord on his guitar. Have your brother capo the fifth fret & you will be playing the same notes/chords (except your reentrant high G & his additional two lower strings). Or you can transpose in your head since you also have a guitar background. I often jam w/guitar players & do the switch in my head.

Mahalo

So it would be fair to say the reverse also applies.
If i transpose backwards and play a G we would be ok?

Ok,

Ill give you an example.
Him on the guitar
Me on the uke

Not sure. I have been playing worship with my church for over a year now. I'm the only uke player. When they play a c...I play a c. SOunds fine.

It is a different sound but a C chord is a C chord...
Now if he is using a capo say capo 2 and playing the c shape, you would then need to change your chord as well or capo.

Ok,

Ill give you an example.
Him on the guitar
Me on the uke

a C is a C, whether on a guitar, piano, or bandura. maybe you guys are just out of tune? now if he is playing a D, and you try the same shape[assuming C tuning on uke] you are playing a G chord. hope that makes sense. Only on a bari will the G guitar chord be a G.

HaoleJohn and Strumsilly are right....I play with guitarists all the time and it sounds great. If you play a different chord, it won't sound right.

Just wondering if you are fretting a guitar "D" chord on your uke thinking it is a "D" or the same with other guitar chords? A guitar D fretted chord will be a ukulele G fretted chord if you use the same fingering on both.....so you'll have to play a ukulele D shape for things to sound right.

You need to tune your uke & guitar mate

Last edited:
Just making the same shapes is not the same as playing the same chords - they are different shapes. If he plays a C (guitar shape) and you play a ukulele C (ukulele shape) you will both be playing the same thing. If you instead make a guitar shape on your uke, you will not be.

I only have the opportunity to jam with a friend that plays a guitar and we sound great together. It's a lovely difference in sound that just works. Take the advice from above and you too will be making sweet music

Ok,
Him on the guitar
Me on the uke

As others have said, if both of you are actually playing a "C" then it should sound fine. Double check to see if you're playing the same shape or chord, because they are different.

I have been playing with a new friend who plays guitar. He knows his chords, and both instruments compliment each other very well. We have a ball!

Top Bottom