"The One"

Freeda

Reaction score
Have you found it? The uke that puts your UAS on hold? The "holy grail"?

What's yours?

Nope I haven't personally found it.. but a fellow member said he got his... then bought a vita uke a few weeks later.. :)
I don't think it stops it.. My bank account stops my UAS dead in its tracks..

Well... I've been at this long enough to know that one's needs change, so "the one" this year may not be the "the one" as you progress.

My Kamaka pineapple was "the one" for a good long while, until I started to learn a couple of classical pieces that needed more frets than the pineapple has. Now my DaSilva custom is "the one."

But as for UAS - I'm a minimalist to begin with, so that has kept it in check pretty well. And the fact that I've got the proverbial champagne taste in ukes, but a beer budget! I'd rather have one really excellent one than a wide assortment of lesser ukes.

My Sceptre put the UAS on hold.

It hasn't really gone away, I just haven't found a better instrument at an affordable price. However, I do have a custom instrument on order - more about that when it transforms from a dream into reality.

I have played several instruments I would like to own, but again, there is that whole cost factor thing.

-Kurt​

I don't think I ever will. I love chocolate cake, but also caramel cheesecake, and berry pie, and tiramisu, and they're all a little different, but all delicious. I don't think i'd want to pick one uke, one feel, one sound, any more than I would want to pick only one amazing flavor. Always on the lookout to find something else to add to my list of favorite things.

The Morre Bettah that Chuck will build for me once I can afford it. I am pretty sure that will be "The One."
Only because I already have an ukulele for each purpose - a beater, an autograph holder, a six string, a baritone, a tenor, a super concert, a concert, a super soprano, and a soprano. Among others.

Nope I haven't personally found it.. but a fellow member said he got his... then bought a vita uke a few weeks later.. :)
I don't think it stops it.. My bank account stops my UAS dead in its tracks..

wonder who that could be? :)

I agree Carrie, I don't think it ever stops. But even when I had no cash I never stopped looking and bought a couple of cheapies to feed the beast.

Over the last few years, and months, I have bought and been gifted some prize ukuleles that would - or should - be enough to quench anyone's rabid appetite for UAS, but no, it hasn't put out the fire. I am blessed to own 1 lovely sopranino (Ohana), 3 incredible sopranos (Mya Moe, Pohaku, Black Bear), 2 amazing concerts (Collings, Covered Bridge), a holy grail tenor (50's vintage Martin) and a great baritone (Mainland) yet the flames still burn bright.

To the question of there being a "One" to solve the UAS dilemma, well, I used to kid myself that the only reason I kept buying was to find that "One", but I now realise it aint gonna happen. There's always another one. Even now I await building of another concert, and with my eyes also looking ahead to a future custom build that I can't even begin to afford. aaaaaah...... :eek:
:deadhorse:

Thankfully, I don't think I'm looking for the "one."

The second ukulele I bought (Koaloha Concert) was so great, I started buying all kinds of them. Kept selling them off. Now I realize I had the one I wanted almost from the start.

Aloha Freeda,
I still am seaching...I call it upgrading the collection....as for "holy grails" or the "one", I am starting to believe they are only legends....

The only way for me to tell is to line them all up and play them side by side, then try to figure out which one can't possibly be re-homed, and I'm pretty sure it's probably my Donaldson. I would cry buckets over a few of the others though, I don't want to think of parting with either of the 6 strings or the Kamaka concert. To further complicate things, I'm picking up a Martin bari tonight that was one of the first ukes I played and is a family heirloom... and I prefer tenors.

No I haven't got "The One" and UAS probably won't go away.

However, budgetary limitations will almost certainly prevent UAS getting too much out of hand.

I had the same problem with recorders but when I found I couldn't afford that rather nice tenor I had seen, I called a halt.

Which ukulele is the one would depend on what I'm playing. It seems that I have not found the one but instead have found the many.

Ken Timms soprano.

Kind of a left-handed compliment, but I've since sold off two ukes and am contemplating dropping out of a luthier line I've been waiting in since January.

The Timms is that good.

Which ukulele is the one would depend on what I'm playing. It seems that I have not found the one but instead have found the many.

Yep, that's it, exactly. :agree: :agree:

Having said that, I am quite fond of my Brian Griffin tenor and Pinecone, and my KoAloha super concert.

Last edited:
Have you found it? The uke that puts your UAS on hold? The "holy grail"?

What's yours?

I think that's the key, "on hold." My daily player is a solid spruce top Kala that I've gone over and set-up everything to my liking even going as far as to dial in every fret and fret end. It sits next to my desk in my classroom. I have a Kamaka HF-3 that will be strung re-entrant when my custom is built. I'll use that for the traditional Hawaiian music I intend to learn in the near future. The custom should cover strumming w/melodies . . . and if I ever get the courage to perform in front of others, I'll consider a 5 or 6 string for a more full sound to help offset my poor vocals, but that one I'd probably like to build myself. I think my UAS will morph into UBS eventually (Uke Building Syndrome) and that's where I'll be able to go as far as my limited skills will take me :)

Top Bottom