How did you learn to play the Uke?

VaGoddess

Reaction score
Hi! I can't seem to find many uke teachers in my area. I found a couple, but they are a little further than I would like to travel. So, should I just keep using YouTube videos, Internet sites, and Books for practice? I've always heard that a teacher is the best way to go. What do you think?

I learned from Youtube, different ukulele sites and UU. I could see how having a teacher may help once you feel you've hit a ceiling, like there's nothing more Aldrine can teach you, but I'm not nearly there yet and I probably won't be for years.

Hey again!

You know I just signed up for UU+, I'm still on the free trial period, and I've been checking out the Ukulele Underground University archives and they'll been really helpful. I couldn't chunk before and now I can! And even though I've been playing for over a year, there was basic stuff I missed.

Also, I really want to get a piedmont triad group together, and we may not be teachers, but I think, besides for having a ton of fun, that we could learn a lot from each other.

Hi Kirbo, I'm thinking about signing up for the UU lessons...I've heard some good things about Aldrines teaching style. Plus his YouTube videos are great. Thanks for the input!

Agree with above

Totally agree with above comment-go as far as you can until you feel you are unable to progress any further, then you may find 2 or 3 lessons allow you to break that barrier and move to the next level. Also, play with as many people as you can- even guitarists if,you don't know any uke players in the area - you'll be amazed bynwhatnyou can pick up just by playing with others.

@CarolJean yea, I had been contemplating on whether to sign up for the monthly subscription on here. I see a lot of members have, so it must be pretty good! I'll probably sign up today. I was looking for local groups and I didn't see any close by. It would be good to play with other ukulele players! I think it's the best way to learn!

Thanks for the advice @lennymac! I wish I knew some guitar players in my area...none of my friends play an instrument, ha ha!

Are you anywhere near this place? North Carolina Uke Academy

If it is too far to go for regular lessons, you still might want to head over for a workshop or two.

Hi! I can't seem to find many uke teachers in my area. I found a couple, but they are a little further than I would like to travel. So, should I just keep using YouTube videos, Internet sites, and Books for practice? I've always heard that a teacher is the best way to go. What do you think?

I sometimes wish I hadn't been so against the "for Dummies" tag, and ordered Ukulele for Dummies earlier. Lots of great stuff in there, and written by the guy who does the Ukulele Hunt website.

Also, what really helped me was playing with others (at least others in my uke meet-up) watching their technique and getting a few tips. As much as youtube and books help, real life interaction will make a lot of things click together and make you a better player.

@CarolJean yea, I had been contemplating on whether to sign up for the monthly subscription on here. I see a lot of members have, so it must be pretty good! I'll probably sign up today. I was looking for local groups and I didn't see any close by. It would be good to play with other ukulele players! I think it's the best way to learn!

You're in Greensboro right? I just opened up a thread on the regional get togethers. I really want to get a triad group together. Just have to figure out who, when, and where.

I started off with UU+ then about four months in i went to an instructor. I found that the books just didn't do it for me. The UU+ is a great (and cheap!) way to get started.

@MisterRios thanks for the suggestions! Maybe I need to get a "Beginner" Ukulele group together in my area, but also have some experienced players there, also. I can't believe Greensboro doesn't have one already!

You're in Greensboro right? I just opened up a thread on the regional get togethers. I really want to get a triad group together. Just have to figure out who, when, and where.

Yep, I'm in Greensboro! Like I stated earlier...I can't believe that Greensboro doesn't have a group already!

I am learning through a diversity of methods - books, group lessons, videos, and one meeting with an instructor. I probably need more individual instruction at this time (either through books are through an instructor) and less group lesson time. I play plenty - but I need to work on specific deficits more...

I started out with an absolute beginners workshop but then worked it out for myself from there. I've taught myself to play a few instruments, so the uke was just one more.

I did buy Baz's book and Ukulele for Dummies and I go to occasional workshops when they are available locally.

I do a lot of watching and listening when I am out, mainly of guitarists, but a lot of the skills are transferable so I gain quite a bit from that.

How did you learn to play the Uke?

Well, I should start by saying I doubt that my learning will ever be past tense - I doubt that I'll ever be able to say with finality "I've learned to play the uke" :)

I started in a group class and when that didn't get as complex as I wanted, I added weekly private lessons. Three years later, I'm still doing both.

I have a few songs and plenty of chords down. Do you think I need to learn scales to become a better player?

Top Bottom