New Label for my ukuleles! Which do you like?

Duke of Harbord

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I wanted to get your opinions on which label design you think would look best on the inside of my ukuleles. (Top left, Top right, Bottom left, Bottom right). My ukuleles are mainly aimed at the large surfing community in my area as most ukers I know surf in my area! Hence the logo of Duke if you were wondering. Anyways, who says you have to have a uke in your logo, Apple didn't put a computer in theirs!

Thanks for your input!! :)Ukulele Underground - Labels.jpg

The top two to me, are a little bland,
I kinda like the bottom two, the bottom right is my favourite because it has a little more impact.
Maybe if it wasn't brown and tweaked slightly like another border around it to hold the image together.
What about branding for the wood, like bruko does?

Last edited:
I like top right the best.

Top right. The bamboo border suits it better than the rope.

Bottom left is waaay too busy. Bottom right looks kinda cheezy and getting it dye cut is going to add to the expense of printing, plus the label won't look centered thru the soundhole.

Top right - classy but not too busy.

Top left.

That rope logo has some age to it; it makes me feel like Freshwater ukes are well established.

Out of the four, my picks would be top right or bottom right.

Top right is nice and clean, but I think the bamboo border makes it a wee tacky?
Top left - the rope kills it.
Bottom left - a bit too busy as
Bottom right - I like a lot but I see Hula girl and think Hawaii, not Australia. Not that I don't like the hula girl but I think it misrepresents something made in Oz.

Now if you took the bottom right and lose the hula girl, you've got a nice clean label.

But that's just me.

What does your current label look like?

Thanks for your responses guys, keep them coming it’s a huge help. Seems like most like the Top right (Bamboo) and I agree that the Bottom left is a bit too busy. I’m thinking the Top right is a bit too plain and not all that relevant as it adds a bit of an Asian tinge to the design... Sorry for being misleading, I actually don’t currently have a label yet, I wanted to get your responses first! I still quite like the Top left (rope) and Bottom right (hula) as I think it adds some nostalgia to the label, as I’m going for more of a vintage, traditional look for my ukuleles. I also think that the Top left (rope) relates closely to Manly/Freshwater, Sydney as it has British heritage and a peninsular with a wharf on one side and beaches on the other. You're right that there's no hula girls around here, but it sure is sub-tropical with many palm trees.

Thanks for your responses guys, keep them coming it’s a huge help. Seems like most like the Top right (Bamboo) and I agree that the Bottom left is a bit too busy. I’m thinking the Top right is a bit too plain and not all that relevant as it adds a bit of an Asian tinge to the design... Sorry for being misleading, I actually don’t currently have a label yet, I wanted to get your responses first! I still quite like the Top left (rope) and Bottom right (hula) as I think it adds some nostalgia to the label, as I’m going for more of a vintage, traditional look for my ukuleles. I also think that the Top left (rope) relates closely to Manly/Freshwater, Sydney as it has British heritage and a peninsular with a wharf on one side and beaches on the other. You're right that there's no hula girls around here, but it sure is sub-tropical with many palm trees.

Okay. Here's what I think: you've got a cool surfer logo, but it isn't really a focal point right now. I like the simplicity of the top two labels but agree that one is a little Asian feeling and the American in me sees the rope in a cowboy way, rather than a wharfy way. (You'll know better if your target audience would read it differently.)

I wonder if there a way to bump up the presence of your surfer dude and still keep things spare and simple?

Top left.

That rope logo has some age to it; it makes me feel like Freshwater ukes are well established.

I agree. The oval feel to it would be set off well when viewed through the sound hole.

Okay. Here's what I think: you've got a cool surfer logo, but it isn't really a focal point right now. I like the simplicity of the top two labels but agree that one is a little Asian feeling and the American in me sees the rope in a cowboy way, rather than a wharfy way. (You'll know better if your target audience would read it differently.)

I wonder if there a way to bump up the presence of your surfer dude and still keep things spare and simple?
I get the wharf reference. I live near the water, too. The surfer might look good "bumped up".

Bill

Last edited:
If the surfer in the roundel is your standard logo, I'd make sure it's the most prominent graphic element along with the company name. (I'm guessing that's the case, since the surfer is the only graphic element common to all the designs.) Then, only as much secondary info as is strictly necessary to keep things clean - probably model, number, and your location. If the hula dancer isn't original art that you created or commissioned, honestly I'd avoid using her - you let yourself in for lawsuits (unless you have secured rights for usage) and it dents the air of originality that I'm guessing you'd want your ukes to have. If she's old enough to have safely entered public domain, though - well, have at it.

(Caveat: I spent years dealing with logos for a living. So I stare at them more intently and pick them apart way more than most people.)

Now I'd like to go look at your ukes :)

Why dont you just keep the surfer dude as a main character, make it larger and tweak it, you seem to like it a lot then you can put your info underneath the surfer maybe add a little more wave.
You could put something round the surfer, local flower maybe, the rope design, seagulls, fish, whale, orca. flying fish, maybe. something
Keep it Simple, but bold recognizable instead of burying the surfer dude in the rest of the label.
I don't know if that helps.

Top Bottom