Do You Use a Pick, Fingers, Piece of Folded Paper?

strummin'&hummin'

Reaction score
My dad strums with his fingers. I tried it - it really kind of gives me the willies. So I tried a felt pick. I didn't like that either - it seemed too stiff and thick. So then I ripped a piece of paper and folded it. Kind of weird but that's what I like the best right now.

Any tips out there for picks? What kind of pick do you use or do you just use your finger?

I tried searching this and came up empty. My apologies if it's already been asked.

I use my thumb mostly. Most probably use a finger. You are the first I've heard of that uses a piece of paper. If it works for you go for it.

I just tried it. I must admit that using paper give a certain ring that my humb does not, and is certainly louder.

I use my thumb to strum down and index to strum up. Kinda strange but I like it.

My dad used to make guitar picks by cutting them out of margarine/yogurt tub lids. He liked the flexibility of the material (or so he said ;-) )

The reason most use fingers is you can do so much more with fingers than with a pick - Strumming with a nail is a different sound than the pad of your finger. You can change the dynamics of what you're playing just by going from nail to pad and vice versa. You also have the option of a fan strum, triple strum, finger picking, etc when you're not holding a pick.

I use my index finger exclusively (with an acrylic nail), but, for some reason, keep both a felt and leather pick in my pocket at all times.
I made the leather one out of an old belt using a dremel and some sandpaper and promised myself that I'd eventually use it...

+1 on a piece of belt leather. I usually use my thumb but revert to a leather pick when with other instruments and need the volume.

I generally strum down with either my index fingernail or my pinky fingernail in a kind of fan or roll strum, then up with my thumbnail, with a one, two&three&four&, one, two&three&four&, kind of rhythm, with the thumbnail doing the "&'s".

clear as mud? I thought so... sorry :)

keep uke'in',

i strum down with my index finger and back up with my thumb. i used a pick everytime i went busking because it just wouldn't be loud enough without one. now i don't busk anymore, i use my two fingers all the time. yeah they get sore sometimes, yeah at first it does feel like your fingers are concrete, but practice makes perfect!

Thumb 100% when strumming for me. I just prefer the tone. If I ever own a softer toned Uke I'll probably use my finger more.

I believe that it is advantageous to learn to properly use your forefinger to strum, which can then be used with the thumb, then eventually can include more fingers as you transition into fingerpicking.

When I used a felt pick for a while, I chewed on the end for a while to "soften" it up a bit. Strums all sounded alike, unable to get a "syncopated" rythm.

I use my finger and thumb, but when it is cold out I will go to a pick because my fingers freeze up. I prefer the rounder side of a soft pick. I steal them from my daughter.

I use thumb and fingers (which finger or how many fingers dependent on type of strum).

FYI, felt pics do come in many different sizes, shapes and firmness. If I was going to use a pick on one of my Ukes, it would be a felt one.

The reason most use fingers is you can do so much more with fingers than with a pick - Strumming with a nail is a different sound than the pad of your finger. You can change the dynamics of what you're playing just by going from nail to pad and vice versa. You also have the option of a fan strum, triple strum, finger picking, etc when you're not holding a pick.

Good points about the variety offered by using fingers. Also, I've never had trouble finding where I left my fingers (unlike picks).

I am a fingers only guy. Depends on the strum. Usually index or index and thumb. Working on mastering strums like Aldrine and Jake which take more fingers. We are blessed to have their videos. Always a work in progress. I love that about ukulele. No matter what you learn or come close to mastering. There is always more in techniques, knowledge, and quality of execution.

Side note: As a result of my love for playing ukulele I have grown my nails out more on my strumming/picking hand. Look at the nails on videos like Ohta-San. I bet you can spot some players that way.

Last edited:
For me, picks and ukes don't mix, it just doesn't seem right. For me, it's a violation of the spirit of the uke. It just seems like a worry-free instrument that lends itself to being picked up and played without having to fiddle around and worry about any other kind of equipment. That's one aspect of the ukes appeal to me is that I don't have to worry about finding/buying/losing a pick or having to be concerned about constantly adjusting the pick as I play.

I strum exclusively with my index finger and it's pretty easy to change the dynamics of playing by striking with the nail or using the pad of my finger. On occasion, I'll use my thumb when I'm practicing and the rest of the house is asleep. A thumb stroke is a bit more muted.

Even when I was trying to play guitar for years, before I realized it was never going to happen, I hated picks. They always felt so awkward, and kinda like they were getting in the way of my connection to the instrument, I'd use my thumb, or my fingers whenever I possibly could.

Top Bottom