debating about joining UU+

kaizersoza

Reaction score
Hi Guys n Gals,

I have been playing the ukulele now for 15 months and I am enjoying it more now than ever, I have had some lessons locally with a tutor and have been playing in a band that I helped start around June this year, I also jointly run My own ukulele club in my hometown, Now the question is...... How will I benefit from joining UU+ I still class myself as a beginner, although I can fingerpick (not very good) to holding and learning a tune quite quickly,
I want to move on up to the next level, My tutor is quite ill at this time and has stopped doing lessons which is understandable considering his illness, I would love to hear about your experiences using UU+ how it improved your playing and to give me some user insight into UU+
I have watched some of the introductions and it looks just great, also I live in the UK will this have a bearing on when I can tune into live lessons and if so are they repeated or still available after the stated time etc
thanx guys n gals

kaizer

I took a live uu class (101) a long time ago before they had uu plus and the recordings. I learned alot from it especially if I practiced.
I am still a member of uu plus and enjoy the recordings. The hardest part is not being able to get feedback on your playing or technique. I think that with the blues, theory and Hawaiin plus all the seminars they have added you would probably enjoy it. I see it like this. THey give you the instruction and techniques and if you practice you will improve and get better as a player.
It seems that they are always addind some new content as well.
The only thing that I can say that isn't positive is that I have learned lots of techniques such as chunking, strum patterns, hammer ons etc and most of the time I don't kow how to apply that to a song. Maybe it's just me since it doesn't come easy to me. I wish that it did.. maybe others can share their experience with this... It definitely doesn't stop me from watching the videos or moving forward with watching more lessons.
Overall I don't think you can get that kind of quality lessons for the money anywhere. The lessons are organized and well thought out with a purpose and a goal..
The best part is you can stop any time you like or feel you have gotten everything you can from the lessons..
Good luck with your decisions.

k, I'm a UU + member, and here's one way to look at it to help yourself and Ukulele Underground. It's $10 a month (less than your lesson, I'm sure) with a single, non-recurring $120 payment annually. For it, you get lessons all year long, and it's a ton less pesky to keep track of--as you well know--than that irritating, recurring VIP membership. Hence, I am a UU+ member, but not a VIP member.

k, I'm a UU + member, and here's one way to look at it to help yourself and Ukulele Underground. It's $10 a month (less than your lesson, I'm sure) with a single, non-recurring $120 payment annually.

True dat. I pay more for 4 skype lessons.

They have a 30 money back guarantee. Also a $15 for one month if you don't want to layout that much cash.

thanx for your views guys, @Fit, you raised some great points and to be honest you have convinced me to give it a go, @Steve some really good points as well m8 but i think i will go with vanflynns $15 a month, @Freeda, apart from having the nicest smile on UU how are you finding the skype lessons? They could be a possibility at some stage, so summing up to be honest for the money its a no brainer, i will enrol tomorrow when I get paid, once again thanx for taking the time

There's no question. UU+ is SO worth the cost. It's helped me progress so much as a player. There's things you haven't even THOUGHT about doing that you'll learn to do. You can learn at whatever pace you want, learn theory, blues, whatever. The master lessons are great, each one focusing on a specific topic or style of music. I can't say enough how valuable UU+ is. It's well worth anything you'll spend on it. Trust me. You won't regret it.

When I joined, and even though I've been playing for over a year, I started off at the beginning with the basics. Even though I knew most of it, there were some really good tips and tricks that I had never heard, or read before.

Thanx Freeda, heard loads about Matt, he is an outstanding musician, and will have a look at Ronin as well, problem with skype for me is I am on the other side of the pond

@Philpot, great post m8, i am definitely going to enroll, thanx for the input

@caroljean, that is good advice just in case i have missed something thank you, much appreciated

@weerpool, join in man, looks like its all good stuff

Last edited:
Well guys I have taken your advice and dived into UU+ I've been going over the beginners lessons and the fingerpicking ones are new to me, so already I ahve learned something new, I am really excited about starting the course and I just want to thank you all for steering me in the right direction and for all the feedback you gave me

kaizer

Don't mean to highjack, but I have a question on UU Plus. Is there enough audio that you can learn using audio only? I'm blind and so videos do me no harm no foul, but no good either unless they're loaded with audio. As in, in some cases, "Put your 1st finger here..." etc, especially in learning chords. DOn't show me a diagram LOL. If anyone has any feedback on this I'd appreciate it. Maybe someone could try doing a beginner and a more advanced lesson with your eyes closed? Might be fun and would give me the info I need. :) Thanks!

Don't mean to highjack, but I have a question on UU Plus. Is there enough audio that you can learn using audio only? I'm blind and so videos do me no harm no foul, but no good either unless they're loaded with audio. As in, in some cases, "Put your 1st finger here..." etc, especially in learning chords. DOn't show me a diagram LOL. If anyone has any feedback on this I'd appreciate it. Maybe someone could try doing a beginner and a more advanced lesson with your eyes closed? Might be fun and would give me the info I need. :) Thanks!

Peaceweaver,
I would really have to go back and watch the videos with monitor turned, my initial reaction is no because Aldrine while he explains everything in detail he does write down everything on a board for you to 'copy down'. I know that they used to give a two week free trial period, if they don't offer that, my suggestion would be to write the staff (be patient they are really busy and take a bit) and ask if you could have a trial. I am sure that you would get something out of it because Aldrine talks and talks. I think only you could be the judge if there is enough verbal.. good luck..

Top Bottom