Just unpacked it

generr

Reaction score
My first uke arrived this morning - Lanikai concert. Everything looks OK. I went on-line to a "tuning" web-site, and tuned it as close as I could.

Sat down and began to "strum" some of the chords that looked easy - the 1 finger and 2 finger ones. My fingers are VERY large, and at 65 years old, they're not as supple as they used to be. It is gonna take me a long time, I think, to master any chord requiring more than two fingers! But I've only been at it for 15 minutes. LOL So far I really like it!

As long as it keeps being fun every time you pick it up, you're in business! :) I'm working on "training" my fingers to partially barred chords and it is similarly clumsy feeling but it is still fun.

Enjoy!!! And get yourself a snark headstock tuner! Easier than tuning by ear.

Congrat on the new uke. Keep is simple and have fun. The fingers will get better in good time.

Keep us posted

Congratulations on your new uke and your new journey!!!!
Remember....have fun!!!!

Congrats on the new uke. Keep practicing and you'll master even the ones that seem impossible in less time than you think.

I bought a uke for my 89 year old grandfather this summer while we were in Kauai. It's a little slow going with his arthritis, but he's come a long way and he thinks his dexterity is improving because of the practice.

Personally, I used to have to barre three strings to form a clean "D" and now I can use three fat fingers to fret the same chord. It just takes time to get use to it I guess.

Good luck to you and have fun!!

Congratulations!

One trick to fitting more than a couple big fingers into small spaces is to change the angle of your hand (moving your elbow away from your body is one way to do this) so that your fingers align more vertically than horizontally.

Congrats on your new uke. Main thing is to have fun. Remember, music is good for the soul at any age and making music is much more satisfying. Enjoy.............................BO.....................

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I went to Amazon and ordered a Snark 6, with delivery less than $10.

BTW - I began smiling as I was unpacking it! LOL

Keep a-grinnin'!

I started not too long ago and the friendly folks here made it easy on me. I got better than I thought faster than I expected. +1 on the Uncle Rod's Bootcamp suggestion

Welcome to the UU forums and the ukulele, and congrats on the new ukulele...have fun and Strum...yes get a tuner and get better strings other than the factory ones...

Welcome to the UU forums and the ukulele, and congrats on the new ukulele...have fun and Strum...yes get a tuner and get better strings other than the factory ones...
It came with Aquila Nylagut (I think that's right). You guys are the experts here, but I think until I can get my fingers to work right, strings will be the least of my worries.

It came with Aquila Nylagut (I think that's right). You guys are the experts here, but I think until I can get my fingers to work right, strings will be the least of my worries.

Yes, but if it doesn't sound nice you might be discouraged.

Congratulations, and always have fun!

ETA: Whoa....LOL, when did I become a Senior Member?

Top Bottom