Am I shallow?

DaveY

Reaction score
I ask this because I was going to buy a Pono MT and then I saw an MT Deluxe in a store and I was seduced by its gloss. I thought I was a satin kind of guy (in terms of wood finish, not pajamas). I like simple, basic things, like bicycles and books that are bound, not digitized. I was a big fan of Thoreau when I first read him in 9th grade. I've seen glossy finishes on ukes and I thought . . . Tacky. Showy. Desperate for attention. It's like a woman with too much lipstick, or a guy with too much bicepses. Then I saw the Pono MTD gloss - and I was smitten. Not to mention the "ebony appointments" (which I'd like to make the title of a song I write). But back to my question: Am I shallow for spending 35%* more because of gloss? And is "smitten" a word I should be using?

*estimate using limited math skills

I ask this because I was going to buy a Pono MT and then I saw an MT Deluxe in a store and I was seduced by its gloss. I thought I was a satin kind of guy (in terms of wood finish, not pajamas). I like simple, basic things, like bicycles and books that are bound, not digitized. I was a big fan of Thoreau when I first read him in 9th grade. I've seen glossy finishes on ukes and I thought . . . Tacky. Showy. Desperate for attention. It's like a woman with too much lipstick, or a guy with too much bicepses. Then I saw the Pono MTD gloss - and I was smitten. Not to mention the "ebony appointments" (which I'd like to make the title of a song I write). But back to my question: Am I shallow for spending 35%* more because of gloss? And is "smitten" a word I should be using?

This reads as "I'm too smart to be taken in by a shiny thing."

But you're not. :p If you love it, buy it.

Just got a Pono MTD last week and love the look and feel. Sound greatly improved when I switched to the Living Water strings and went Low G, but that's subjective. You'll love either!

You like what you like. Making music, and that includes instrument ownership is 100% personal. It's all good dude!

On a gut level if you do what makes you happy in life and it doesn't harm others. Life seems to work out well.
Do what makes you happy.

If one was the "best" than there would only be one to choose from.
Some wood looks better with a gloss and some not.
Go with the one you like, it is your choice not other folks.

It's not really like a woman with too much lipstick. It's more like a woman who knows how to dress. Some guys like to see a woman wearing jeans, and some like them wearing an LBD....(or not)

It's not really like a woman with too much lipstick. It's more like a woman who knows how to dress. Some guys like to see a woman wearing jeans, and some like them wearing an LBD....(or not)

I don't know what an LBD is. I found these definitions: lamellar body density; large bile duct; left border of dullness; Lewy body dementia; ligand-binding domain; lower back disorder

I don't know what an LBD is. I found these definitions: lamellar body density; large bile duct; left border of dullness; Lewy body dementia; ligand-binding domain; lower back disorder

ah - little black dress? (I should have gone to Urban Dictionary first.)

But I have to admit that lower back disorders can be oddly alluring.

If ya play it, and don't just gaze at your reflection on it, then you're not shallow. :)

I bought the Pono MT you are describing. I have to admit, I REALLY wanted the gloss finish. At the time, I thought it wasn't worth the money, but I do like the look of the gloss finish and I have been wishing I'd chosen that option. I have learned to appreciate my satin finish ukulele now though. The sound it produces is just gorgeous and I have been focusing on that. I kind of don't notice the instrument anymore...I just fall into a happy trance playing it. I know it won't show scratches as easily so I can relax a bit with it and just enjoy it. Enjoy your instrument, no matter what you end up going with. I say buy the best option instrument you can afford though!

This reads as "I'm too smart to be taken in by a shiny thing."

But you're not. :p If you love it, buy it.

HA! Freeda, you took the words right out of my brain. And they apply to me, too. Not that I'M shiny. I mean that I like shiny things and feel bad about that.
Like how I feel when I catch myself singing commercials. I feel like a such a dope, and yet some of those ditties are dang catchy.

But the gloss. It will make you happy.

You can get caught up in all of that stuff with looks and bling. I really admire the people who just see things simply. I am a person who, fortunately or unfortunately, always wants more, or always wants perfection.

So I have this wonderful PONO RTSH-C (Rosewood/cedar top tenor w/cutaway). it sounds great!!!! But, I also saw a PONO RTSH-5 (same ukulele, but with abalone purfling, no cutaway). Both are now sitting in my living room on music stands. Both sound WONDERFUL. Both look great and I can't tell which I like better. Why did I get myself into this? My teenage daughters and my wife like the cutaway because it "looks cool" and don't care about the abalone. I like the abalone, but also like playing the cutaway for when I finger pick, but I can't decide whici I like better. As for the sound--- Both are exactly the same in sound. Can't tell the difference. As a matter of fact, they were built at the same time according to the numbers in the ukes.

The RTSH-5 just arrived today from Ko'olau. it is a factory second and costs the same as I paid for the the RTSHC, which is not a factory second but I got used. As far as I can see--- both of these are absolutely perfect. I have no idea what John Kitakis at Ko"olau was looking at to make one a factory second--- I sure don't see it and believe me, I have looked closely. Also, the one that is not a factory second has been very very well cared for.

So now I have to sell one but which One??? Both are great!!!

If only the RTSH-5 was also a cutaway. You see, I always want more :)

Are you shallow? Of course you are - and so am I. I have a wonderful Kiwaya Concert that's made out of solid mahogany and every time I play it I say, "Wow, this is the best sounding uke I've ever heard!". It's the best sounding and playing uke I own. However, the uke I play every day is my Collings UT-2K Tenor - it sounds great too but doesn't have the extra special something that the Kiwaya does. Why do I play the Collings every day? Because it's the most beautiful ukulele I own. It's a movie star and I'm an adoring fan. If I could just cross breed them I'd have something crazy special. And perhaps I just might because my Mya-Moe is on the way!

Thanks for your advice and insights (and also for the picture of that wicked hot lady - oh, mama!). I didn't make it clear that I already made a decision: the seduction was overwhelming, and I ordered the MTD (now also known as the LBD). In fact, it's waiting at home for me - arrived earlier today. I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek in what I wrote, but I did feel strange falling for the gloss (and the "ebony appointments"). But I figured at this point in my life, go for the gloss. I have one satin tenor already, and I hope the two tenors can see past their differences and get along.

You may be shallow but buying a gloss uke is not necessarily evidence of such... :)

John

good choice dave. I bought the MSD over the MS because it looked better. No other reason. The gloss brings out the grain of the wood and the ebony headstock overlay, bridge and fretboard are perfect for the uke. Add to that, it's awesome sound and you are one happy magpie. It's personal preference and no choice is wrong if you are happy as a buyer and player. Nottin wrong with likng pretty things around you, that's one of the reasons I married my wife! Chuck Moore, arguable the premier uke builder in the world uses a high gloss finish on all his ukes. the Collings UC2 and UC3 models are stunning. Besides, if a uke is attractive you might be more likely to pick it up and play it more often. Never been able to detect any compromise in sound with gloss finishes either, though I've heard it argued that a gloss finish may lower volume and give a brighter tone. Good buy bro, I love my little MSD soprano!!!

Smitten? Absolutely fine and totally understandable. Shallow? A matter of opinion, but I've been seduced by more than one glossy finish myself... Didn't bite because I'd be too afraid to cradle the uke, but maybe you're fearless. I hope so! :D

Top Bottom