high G low G strings

lochman

Reaction score
ok i know its bin on before but would like 2 hear from members
what and why they prefer high g 2 low G OR JUSTLIKE BOTH:confused: OR IS ONE BETTER FOR CERTAIN TYPE OF MUSIC STYLE ..:)

I love the deep resonance of a wound low-G string. I know some people like the non-wound low-G, but I wonder how well it stays in tune. Right now I have three ukuleles I play, an aNueNue with a low-G, an 8-string Lanikai with one of each and an Eleuke with a low-G. I'd like to get another aNueNue (koa) and put a high-G on it, so I'd be able to play the high-G when I felt like it.

The low G adds very little in the way of extra notes but, I think, a lot in the color of sound in chordal playing. It warms up the sound, which is very nice for jazz chording or accompaniment. Also, in some situations (in any style of music) playing chordal soloing the high G can get in the way of the melody. This can be overcome with very good technique, but still...

Low G works well for me playing classical (for the extra couple of available notes) and for the darker sound it gives me for most jazz.

Some people prefer Low G for everything. Some prefer high G for everything. Some may think my opinion is 180 degrees off. It's all good.

What do you think?

what and why they prefer high g 2 low G OR JUSTLIKE BOTH
I like both, especially after I purchased the Living Water Strings which are very well balanced.
Low G - yes, please. But only unwound. Wound strings sound too much like guitar (in fact you could use a guitar D-string) and are too loud compared to the others IMHO.
Which one I prefer depends mostly on my mood, less on the songs I play.

I like both. Different sounds for different songs. Having been a fingerstyle guitar player for years some of the guitar tunes I bring over to the uke sound better with the Low-G bass notes while generally I like the ring of the High-G for more 'ukulele' sounding songs. I have my tenor in Low-G exclusively while keep one concert in low and 1 in high. I've yet to find a soprano I like in Low-G.

I like both. Do want u enjoy and play yer uke!
You can always switch.

I keep my sopranos tuned with a re-entrant G (high)
and my tenor with a Low G set up.Best of both worlds!

Gotta have both.

I like high-G better overall due to the lighter, more 'uke-like' sound.
But low-G is a necessity for some melodic song playing that requires lower notes.

Since I come from a guitar and bass playing background, the low G makes more sense to me, and really fills up the sound. But my actual prefence is the 5-string uke with the paired high/low G together. I bought an Oscar Schmidt Willie K 5-string and it is better than either the high or low G by itself, IMO.

Top Bottom