North Carolina

ritzer012

UU+
Reaction score
hey everyone!
has anyone ever been to the ukulele academy in wilmington, nc? i have a friend down there and was considering taking a trip down and checking it out if it's worth while...seems like the only place like it on the east coast! mostly because i want to buy a new uke and would like to actually see it in person before i buy it rather than just looking at a picture and buying it online.

You could also stop by Durham at High Strung:

http://www.highstrungdurham.com/

It's a nice place and they have a ukulele jam session every first and third Monday each month. All skill levels are welcome. My old tech teacher actually runs it and he;s the one that got me into ukulele.

uke academy

high strung guitars in durham only has about 6 ukuleles and none of them are anything to talk about.

the ukulele academy has about 40-60 ukes all the time. the best part is that he does carry ukes from luthiers in the united states that are real quality instruments. he also has factory built ukes like ponos, mainlands, and many more.

i don't work at this place but frequent it often as it is close to where i live (i'm very lucky). the owner is kent knorr and he is the only worker. if you call him up i'm sure he would be cool with talking to you about the instruments he has in stock. he's a really down to earth guy. bosko and honey did a little interview with him here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAPKCTAVpPw

I work at the Ukulele Academy in Wilmington, NC 1 day a month to help out the owner. Owner's name is Kent Knorr and is an amazing dude with a nice shop and some great inventory. Check out www.alohau.com.....PM me with any questions you have........

cheers!

high strung guitars in durham only has about 6 ukuleles and none of them are anything to talk about.

the ukulele academy has about 40-60 ukes all the time. the best part is that he does carry ukes from luthiers in the united states that are real quality instruments. he also has factory built ukes like ponos, mainlands, and many more.

i don't work at this place but frequent it often as it is close to where i live (i'm very lucky). the owner is kent knorr and he is the only worker. if you call him up i'm sure he would be cool with talking to you about the instruments he has in stock. he's a really down to earth guy. bosko and honey did a little interview with him here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAPKCTAVpPw

I gotta start reading posts first before responding haha. Lukulele its good to see you on here, Kent has spoken highly of you.....you should swing by on the 29th of Aug and hang out for a bit.....I'll be there all day

cheers!

hmm...

I gotta start reading posts first before responding haha. Lukulele its good to see you on here, Kent has spoken highly of you.....you should swing by on the 29th of Aug and hang out for a bit.....I'll be there all day

cheers!

oops! i thought i knew what i was talking about!

I work at the Ukulele Academy in Wilmington, NC 1 day a month to help out the owner. Owner's name is Kent Knorr and is an amazing dude with a nice shop and some great inventory. Check out www.alohau.com.....PM me with any questions you have........

cheers!

since i posted this thread ive been to the store a few times, bought 2 ukes and other assorted products and have become pretty friendly with kent. he is a geat guy. ill be down in the area on the 29th so i guess ill see you there!

Can't wait to meet some of you guys.....I've only been playing for 10months or so and Kent has taken me in and afforded me the opportunity to learn a little more than I would have on my own. See y'all soon....

-Cheers

I realize this thread is recently revised from a while ago, but I just want to second (and 3rd and 4th and 5th) the good things everyone is saying about North Carolina Ukulele Academy and Kent Knorr. I've taken 3 group classes from him, purchased ukes, strings, books, tuners, and often wander in to look/strum the 2 walls of ukes he has for sale, and generally shoot the breeze.

It's a great friendly place, Kent has tremendous knowledge and experience--all in all a great resource that is worth a visit if you are anywhere in the area.

It will also cause increased flareups of UAS.

Wow, you guys are great. Thanks for the kind words (and for helping me keep my job).

Got My Koaloha Tenor from Kent. Really nice guy. :cool: Once he get's something in stock that I might want, I'll definitely do business with him again. Check out my review in the ukulele review section. KoAloha Tenor

Last edited:
Top Bottom