Traditional Irish Reel, Julia Delaney, campanella style

wow Tim!!!! So good. What kind of uke are you using? You are THE man for this style of music, really inspirational brother, thanks.

Not really sure I know what campanella style is!
From John King's site:

In the time of J.S. Bach... guitarists armed with re-entrantly tuned instruments had pioneered a style of playing they called campanela, which means little bell sounds. The bottom line is, they played each note of a melody on a different string, creating a sound like a harp—or little, pealing bells—where notes over-rang one another... And tuning does make a difference: you can’t play campanela style with a uke tuned to low G.

Superb! And I love the lesson on finger-picking on your website.

Now, if you could point me to somewhere where I could learn about accompanying jigs & reels on the Uke, I'd be over the moon!

From John King's site:In the time of J.S. Bach... guitarists armed with re-entrantly tuned instruments had pioneered a style of playing they called campanela, which means little bell sounds. The bottom line is, they played each note of a melody on a different string, creating a sound like a harp—or little, pealing bells—where notes over-rang one another... And tuning does make a difference: you can’t play campanela style with a uke tuned to low G.

The last sentence, I would like a little altered. Even the ukulele with low G can play canpanella style.
Only tab for "canpanella low g" not much yet:-(
As an example it goes, I attach two tab. For Hi G and Low G.
hi G.JPG low G.JPG
Tim, thanks for promoting canpanella style. I like to use it also.

Thanks a lot, everyone!!

wow Tim!!!! So good. What kind of uke are you using? You are THE man for this style of music, really inspirational brother, thanks.

Thanks, Eugene! It is but a humble Cordoba koa concert. It is an early one, however, made in Portugal.

Superb! And I love the lesson on finger-picking on your website.

Now, if you could point me to somewhere where I could learn about accompanying jigs & reels on the Uke, I'd be over the moon!

Thanks Barb.. I have been accompanying jigs and reels at a contra dance. I use a triplet technique (with modifications here and there) for the jigs. Also, if you look at Tim's Jig and Larry O'Gaff on my youtube you will see I arranged parts to have Jim doing the very triplet I speak of to accompany the songs. Tim's Jig http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDWMYjrnSL4 and Larry O'Gaff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4debA5e9r9I.

I was curious about rhythmic accompaniment for reels especially for Julia Delaney too but I couldn't find a lot of info or good examples to use on this song so I just winged it. I used accents and chucks on the 2 and 4 beats. I also wasn't sure if I should try a swing or lilt(?) feel but I wanted to play it fast so I kept it pretty much straight.

The last sentence, I would like a little altered. Even the ukulele with low G can play canpanella style.
[snip]
Tim, thanks for promoting canpanella style. I like to use it also.

I agree in that campanella can be used on low G and even on guitar. I sometimes help a friend rearrange classical guitar excerpts into campanella style with fun and success. I also play a Steve Morse song (in an open tuning) that has some nice campanella runs. That one is here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT9_n9LzcZQ.

Bottom line is.. campanella is fun. Maybe a bit difficult to understand or play but well worth the effort, in my opinion. I approach almost any new song or melody I want to learn by using campanella wherever I can, if not entirely.

Top Bottom