PDA

View Full Version : 31st Season of the Ukulele

uke4ia
09-12-2012, 11:55 AM
I guess it's customary to start a thread a few days early. So here's a thread.

glass
09-12-2012, 12:11 PM
My first reply after initial post, can't wait to see what its about!

GinnyT11
09-12-2012, 01:07 PM
It's exciting when it's almost time to start. Stay cool just a fewww more days...!

I'm guessing your theme will involve '70s rock 'n roll, amirite?

uke4ia
09-12-2012, 02:42 PM
All I will say is that one of the possible themes I considered and decided NOT to do was to select any "one hit wonder" band and do one of their songs that wasn't the one hit. That concept had been inspired by the fellow who was performing Men Without Hats songs, but not "Safety Dance". I also sort of do that because I play several Procol Harum songs but not "Whiter Shade of Pale". But there are Procol songs I play that were hits in the UK, while hardly anyone in America knows them. So I decided that wasn't workable with all the nations represented by our Seasonistas.

If anyone wants to use this for some future Season, feel free.

Dan Uke
09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I was thinking of Wee Jinga Yin's requirement about playing outside but taking it one step further....What about filming ourself busking? That would really require some serious courage...Any future season hosts with no ideas?

uke4ia
09-12-2012, 03:20 PM
A busking challenge would be tough. In many places, you need a permit. And you probably need to have a second person involved to either do the camera work or keep the camera from being swiped while you're playing.

Wongo
09-13-2012, 04:45 AM
The bonus could be that you have to stay until you get moved on or arrested by the police. Winner being the fastest to end up in the back of a police car. Hehe

glass
09-13-2012, 04:55 AM
I was thinking of Wee Jinga Yin's requirement about playing outside but taking it one step further....What about filming ourself busking? That would really require some serious courage...Any future season hosts with no ideas?

That is hard core, I think it would be reverse busking for me. Where I pay them to listen!

glass
09-13-2012, 04:56 AM
How about a performance one, like open mic or a festival performance?

Tootler
09-13-2012, 06:00 AM
How about a performance one, like open mic or a festival performance?

I'm down for 23 - 30 Dec. That might be good time for that one :cool:

Well maybe not. :old:

Dan Uke
09-13-2012, 07:11 AM
That is hard core, I think it would be reverse busking for me. Where I pay them to listen!

I would be in the same boat!!

erivel
09-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Yes covers?

Wongo
09-14-2012, 02:00 AM
The time is nearly upon us:)

uke4ia
09-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Is it possible to edit the title of a thread, so tomorrow night I could add in what the theme is to the title?

GinnyT11
09-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Is it possible to edit the title of a thread, so tomorrow night I could add in what the theme is to the title?

Only the moderators can do that. Very few weeks have the theme in the thread title.

wee_ginga_yin
09-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Go to the first post in the thread
Click on the Edit button
Once the editor opens down at the bottom there is a Go Advanced
That will open up a new editor that will allow you to change the subject line.

Works for me

uke4ia
09-14-2012, 01:50 PM
I've tried on this thread, and my most recent thread on the Video board. It lets me change the title of the post, but not the title of the entire thread. Eh, not a big deal.

Dan Uke
09-14-2012, 03:14 PM
I've tried on this thread, and my most recent thread on the Video board. It lets me change the title of the post, but not the title of the entire thread. Eh, not a big deal.

I did it but had to PM moderator

ukuloonie
09-15-2012, 06:48 AM
To save you from having to troll through all the responses because there were at least 57 videos ( actual and bonus) submitted for the numbers week and I thought I got them all. for which I am really sorry. I feel like I am in the dog house now and will slink back later

Do people P.m you to say that They have posted a video
or are you going to do the same as Wee_ginga for the video posts his week.

uke4ia
09-15-2012, 07:11 AM
I can go through the thread myself and make the playlists myself, Ukuloonie. You don't have to do it unless you prefer to. You can just put links in the combined Seasons thread to the playlists I make.

ukuloonie
09-15-2012, 07:26 AM
No No thats not what I mean sorry
should people pm you saying they have posted a video?

uke4ia
09-15-2012, 07:58 AM
I certainly appreciate it if they do. But I was only going to require that they post the videos in this thread.

Hmm, we're on the third page already and the contest hasn't even begun.

wee_ginga_yin
09-15-2012, 08:50 AM
To save you from having to troll through all the responses because there were at least 57 videos ( actual and bonus) submitted for the numbers week and I thought I got them all. for which I am really sorry. I feel like I am in the dog house now and will slink back later

Do people P.m you to say that They have posted a video
or are you going to do the same as Wee_ginga for the video posts his week.

It is so easy to miss out a video if you are not conscientious about trawling through the forums
That is why I asked for video responses. This has two effects. It bumps up the hits on the into video :-)
Secondly you get notification in your inbox that a video response has arrived, and after you
have approved it, it is easy to add to the playlist.

Only trouble is some people are still having troubles figuring out how to do it. The instructions I wrote are MAC
based and I see Uke4ia has also written instructions for PCs. Perhaps the video response is a foreign concept
and not many people have heard of it or are able do it. It certainly saves a lot scrolling back and forth when there
is lots of activity in a forum and the replies may run for tens of pages.

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Uke4ia, you can start a fresh contest thread and let this conversational one fall away---that's what Geoff did with his trains. You can put your theme in that thread head.

Now that we have a plan for the next 6 months in place, maybe it's best just to drop the thread when the new contest begins.

Tootler
09-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Uke4ia, you can start a fresh contest thread and let this conversational one fall away---that's what Geoff did with his trains. You can put your theme in that thread head.

Now that we have a plan for the next 6 months in place, maybe it's best just to drop the thread when the new contest begins.

I think that is probably a good solution. I did it so that all the pre-contest chat was left behind which I felt was best so that the contest thread can actually focus on the contest.

As to using video response to make a playlist, it was a very good idea but not everyone has made an intro video. Some folks have just posted a text message with the contest conditions. In that case then the week's host just has to trawl through the thread and pick up the entries and bonuses. I did not find that particularly arduous and I simply posted a request from time to time for people to check that their entries/bonuses have been included in the playlist. I then did a final check after the contest had closed for any I had missed and actually picked up a couple at that point.

Is it worth posting a message with instructions on setting up a playlist and on using the video response in You Tube, then asking the mods to make it a sticky so that it remains at the top for reference for the future?

It shouldn't matter whether you use Mac or Windows, the method of doing both is the same as it is done through the browser. My computer actually runs Linux and that aspect is the same. It's more likely that different browsers will affect it but I doubt it. One way where it might be different is if you access the forum on your phone or a tablet (iPad or Android) as that takes you to the mobile version of You Tube which doesn't seem as flexible to me. I read the forum on my Android tablet most of the time, but for messages like this involving a lot of typing, uploading or dealing with playlists and the like, I go to my PC.

GinnyT11
09-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Only trouble is some people are still having troubles figuring out how to do it. The instructions I wrote are MAC
based and I see Uke4ia has also written instructions for PCs. Perhaps the video response is a foreign concept
and not many people have heard of it or are able do it. It certainly saves a lot scrolling back and forth when there is lots of activity in a forum and the replies may run for tens of pages.

I think the reason I'm not able to post is because my videos are marked unlisted. It's fine for UU people to see them, but many people search for the title of the song I did and I don't want my video to pop up in a search for the original recording.