Resonator Ukulele

fabfan64

Reaction score
The string slots in the top cover plate of my resonator uke cuts the strings. Any ideas on how to avoid this?

String slots in the cover plate. You mean like the palm rest?? Not sure what you are describing. Is your biscuit bridge insert too high and your strings are contacting the inside of the palm rest??

Resonator Cover Plate

String slots in the cover plate. You mean like the palm rest?? Not sure what you are describing. Is your biscuit bridge insert too high and your strings are contacting the inside of the palm rest??

The slots where the strings attach to the cover plate before they go under the palm rest and over the biscuit. The inside of the slots are sharp from the stamping. Filing inside the slots doesn't seem to help.

i've used very thin clear pliable plastic tubing (about 1/4 inch length) threaded over the strings down to the knots and wedged into the rough slots where they hold the strings. this has worked for several years. you could probably also slice some thin strips of electrical tape and wrap around the strings several times to fatten and protect them at that point of contact or do the heatshrink as liam above suggests as a quick remedy.
i've seen the wood tailpiece solution too and that looks like a great solution as well.
good luck!
tomas

Solved the problem - have designed aprototyped up in aluminium a tailpiece modeled on a 30's National tenor guitar. Just got to make #2 in brass to see how it works before I send it off to my makers. Pics to follow.

Top Bottom