Re-use of G String

sideburnsdave

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I yesterday took delivery of a new Clearwater Baritone which was supplied with GCEA tuning (high G). I've since replaced the standard G with a Fremont tenor low G. I went through the usual practice of tuning up the strings every 10 minutes or so whilst the strings settled.

What has happened however is that my A string has snapped and I don't have any tenor/baritone length replacements. Could the high G that I took off be used as the A string as I'm sure the gauges are fairly similar? I also have an Aquila tenor high G sitting around somewhere.

Thanks.

Thanks Dave!

I'll do just that when I get home from work. Been desperate to play it!

Aquila's Nylgut Tenor A is .65mm, the Tenor high G is .70mm; tensions are almost the same (A=6.7kg, G=6.3kg)

Full overview of Aquila gauges is at the bottom of this page.

I wouldn't even waste my time...get a new set of strings...

Hey Stan . . .. maybe they're not a 5 min walk from a uke shop?

I have to walk almost a half mile to get to Ukulele Source in San Jose :)

Agreed. Get new strings. If you absolutely need it NOW (if you're on stage and you don't have another ukulele to play), go with the quick fix. But be sure your temporary fix is temporary.

Seems a waste of money when you have a perfectly good nearly new string available. I know it's not much money, but...

Most of the time if a string breaks I replace the set.
In this case since they are new I would just replace the one string.
Be sure to check the cause of the break, if there is bridge or tuner issue you may break the next string as well.

Top Bottom