It's got to "Come Down"

Timbuck

Reaction score
I planted this Cedar Tree back in 1972 and it has now become a monster..It blocks out the sun ...the roots are undermining my workshop and on windy days the branches snap off and fall into the neighbours gardens so I've decided that this Autumn it will be cut down....I intend to save the trunk for the uke builders in the UK..By the time it will be seasoned and ready for use I don't think i'll still be building..So i hope I can find some guys to take it off my hands..The trunk measures approx: 5' 6" Circ: by 5' long...also there are several thick branches but I dont know if they will be of any use.
PICT0016-5.jpg

PICT0018-5.jpg

PICT0020-7.jpg

Last edited:
Instead of cutting it down, what about Plan B: build a new workshop... in the tree! :D

Quarter it, split it, then resaw it down to .160" immediately. Sticker it, air dry carefully for about four months, and then stick it under a bench with a de-humidifier going. It'll be usable within a year.

Finaly.....This Tuesday..the tree surgeon is coming to do the job .....It has taken a while to book the guy co's he's been very busy felling diseased Ash trees all over the north east.
I'll try and get a few Pics of the operation.

If we're brokering wood can I interest anyone in the yew tree in my parents back garden? It's about 60' tall and three feet plus in diameter. I haven't asked them yet but I'll swap it for some ukes ;)

It's a pity there is a 300% wastage factor with yew... I'd never purchase it as standing timber unless it was a single buttress.

It's a pity there is a 300% wastage factor with yew... I'd never purchase it as standing timber unless it was a single buttress.

From memory it forks about 20' off the ground. To be honest it was tongue in cheek "offer". The tree has been there a lot longer than my folks have lived there and will outlast us all

If it is sawn into 26" lengths it can easily be split into cants. I'd certainly be interested if the grain count was reasonable...

Top Bottom