Ever take down your YouTube vids?

Dougf

Reaction score
Other than for copyright fears? I'm considering thinning out my garden a bit, and just wondering if anybody else ever does this. Thanks,

Doug

I have, yes. The times I've done it, I wasn't happy with the initial recording. I usually redo it and re-upload.

I've noticed a few people thinning out their youtube gardens. Nothing wrong with pulling a few weeds now and then. (I'm too lazy, so even my least favorite videos are still there for all to see.)

I've only taken one down so far as I wasn't happy with it. I changed another to unlisted as I intend to replace it. I have been thinking of taking down some of my earlier ones.

I've only done a few but I've deleted one already - I did it for fun, but felt happier with it gone! I think my latest couple may go the same way before too long...

Sometimes, when I'm paging through the uploaded videos of a uker I like, I come across direct responses to other users, "rough-draft" vids or non-ukulele-related videos that might have been a spur-of-the-moment upload, and I wonder whether that person really wants these items to be their 'calling-card' to the web.

Consider whether your channel is likely to draw substantial viewers. If so, it's a good idea to make sure your best material is easily browsed, either by (as you suggest) culling out things you're not particularly proud of, or making a separate playlist for the things you are.

Yeah Doug, all the time...depends what mood I'm in on any particular day. I only started my yootoob channel last year but I've probably removed 50 or so videos....some I've regretted, especially the ones that had a lot of(ie...for me...500+ ) views, but generally speaking I'm glad they're gone as I either wasn't happy with the recording or the choice of song itself, or the look of the video. There are some I plan to re-record but it still hasn't happened. There are also a couple I've taken down for other personal reasons. I don't think it's uncommon though. Every good tree needs to be pruned and reinvigorated....probably better to have fewer clips where you are happy with the quality than a whole bunch that you consider to be just mediocre. Hmmm....sun's just about up...off to get the secateurs...

Yes, I remove videos occasionally. I'm not sure if I should re-record some of them, especially some of those songs that I first did on soprano, and now consider doing on the baritone. We'll see...

So far, no. If I had a sense of shame, would I be posting ukulele videos on the Internet?

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Now for some tough decisions. I'm somewhere between "take it all down, it's crap", and "aw, just leave it all up, crap though it be".

It does kind of make me reflect about why put stuff on YouTube anyway. I think that's part of what I really like about the "seasons" challenges -- it's just fun to take a stab at songs without getting really serious. Just let people see what you're working on, and you get to see what they're working on, and without worrying about trying to get that "perfect" take. I mean, let's get real, for me, the perfect take just doesn't seem to happen -- there always seems to be something that's just not quite the way I want it. Oh, well. :)

If there's stuff that you're willing to show your UU compadres, but don't want the Internet universe at large to see, you can always mark those videos as "Unlisted". I did that a couple weeks ago with "Rain in Spain," and that's the status I gave to the "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" parody I posted during last week's numbers theme. You can treat those as your bootlegs as opposed to your official video-discography.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Now for some tough decisions. I'm somewhere between "take it all down, it's crap", and "aw, just leave it all up, crap though it be".

It does kind of make me reflect about why put stuff on YouTube anyway. I think that's part of what I really like about the "seasons" challenges -- it's just fun to take a stab at songs without getting really serious. Just let people see what you're working on, and you get to see what they're working on, and without worrying about trying to get that "perfect" take. I mean, let's get real, for me, the perfect take just doesn't seem to happen -- there always seems to be something that's just not quite the way I want it. Oh, well. :)
aint it the truth brother. I get tempted to do exactly that, often. Just pull it all. As for the perfect take, I totally agree; as elusive as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it just never happens. Guess you just gotta learn to accept your limitations and be as content as you can be in your own skin. I could start to try and explain why I record stuff but it could take pages and I'd need a couch... :p

There's that couch again, Jon...

aint it the truth brother. I get tempted to do exactly that, often. Just pull it all. As for the perfect take, I totally agree; as elusive as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it just never happens. Guess you just gotta learn to accept your limitations and be as content as you can be in your own skin. I could start to try and explain why I record stuff but it could take pages and I'd need a couch... :p

Yeah, I know what you mean, probably serious couch time for me, too. Which reminds me, it's about time for my nap! :)

I might have to start taking more down...I just got my first dislike on Season 30. I know it wasn't the greatest but I didn't need affirmation it sucked!! LOL

Top Bottom