Fretwire overbend

tobinsuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been doing some reading on pre-bending fretwire for a radiused fingerboard. I get the idea of over-bending the wire so the barbs hold better, but how much do any of you over-bend? Anyone care to quantify? I'm looking at a 12" radius on the fretboards, what radius might I shoot for on the fretwire? 10"? 8"?

Thanks. I have a gage made for an unrelated project. Basically a narrow board about 17" long with arcs drawn on it. I secured it in position and marked an arc with a trammel 15" away, on center. Then 14" away, etc.

Cut a long fret slot way too deep on the edge of a board. Then cut the edge of the board to your desired radius. Because you cut the slot so deep the entire edge is now still slotted. You can bend the fret wire into that slot.

Last edited:
Cut a long fret slot way too deep on the edge of a board. Then cut the end of the board to your desired radius. Because you cut the slot so deep the entire edge is now still slotted. You can bend the fret wire into that slot.

Pondoro,

Took me a moment to visualize your suggestion but I am doing radiused fretboards tomorrow and am still looking for a better way to pre bend the wire. I made a quick 3 wheel dingus that is ok but sometimes rolls the wire on its side if it isn't done very carefully. Your idea sounds much simplerand will be very quick to make and try.

Kurtski

I've never done this because I've never fretted a radiused fretboard. But I've bent a lot of metal and it will try to roll. The T-shape of the fretwire is weakest in a direction other than the direction that you want to bend it, so you are fighting that tendency.

I arch fret wire for flat boards too. I think the tangs bite a bit better. I just grab the end of the tang with a pair of nippers and bend it. I don't think you need to over think it. I also know someone that bends it by wrapping it around the groove on old metal coffee cans. You can also buy fret wire in coils.

Pondoro,

I made a bender from your suggestion and it worked pretty well. I still find that the wire will tend to bend sideways if you aren't watching carefully. What really helped was that I made a hardwood caul with a radius that matched the fretboard to press in the frets all across at once.

Attachments

• Radiused birdseye maple fretboard.jpg
    Radiused birdseye maple fretboard.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Side view.jpg
    Side view.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom