What do X's mean in chord charts?

...also don't understand the tuning chart with all the arrows....

The chart with arrows is attempting to illustrate the relative pitch of the strings. For example, if you fret the A string at the fifth fret, the arrow is pointing out that the pitch is the same as the open D string.

means, dont play that note/ string.
( i .e . Em X 432 )
In my opinion this is not correct. When a string shouldn't be played there is no x or anything else, just nothing. To me an x means play this but mute the string, for example by resting your finger no it without fretting.

I think the x means not tot play that string. It looked to me that on the chords that there might be confusion between the fretted strings and open strings they put x's on the open string for more clarity, to make you read the chart easier. Maybe someone that knows for sure for sure will respond. The arrows mean what Dave Wave said above. If you were to hold down the string shown in the illustration it would sound the same, be the same note as the corresponding open string where the arrow is pointing. Sometimes it is hard to explain these things in words, or at least for me. Try it and you will understand.

just using a n example. sorry my mistake.o need to overthink
In my opinion this is not correct. When a string shouldn't be played there is no x or anything else, just nothing. To me an x means play this but mute the string, for example by resting your finger no it without fretting.

In chord charts x's at the top of the chart usually mean do not play that string. In guitar tab x's are often used to indicate a "scratch" where all the strings are muted while the strings are strummed.

Of course, there is no government agency enforcing these things (give 'em time :( ) so you will see variations.

John

So the correct answer is: it depends. ;-)
Try the options and play what you like, it's the pleasure of choice and interpretation.

I though also an x meant not to play the same as 0. Or have i got it wrong?

Actually, 0 at the top of a chord chart is often used to indicate the string should be played open. This convention seems to be used most often for chord diagrams that don't begin at the nut (i.e. where the chord is formed around the fifth or sixth fret or what have you).

Just to confuse things further. :)

I though also an x meant not to play the same as 0. Or have i got it wrong?

x means don't play that string.
0 means play the string open (don't fret it.)
Numbers tell you which fret to use on that string, so if you don't use any fret the number is 0. But you still play that string.

x means don't play that string.
0 means play the string open (don't fret it.)
Numbers tell you which fret to use on that string, so if you don't use any fret the number is 0. But you still play that string.

I've found with fret diagrams "it depends" a lot. Meaning changes from one use to the next and unless there is a legend you'll just need to figure it out by context.

In the guitalele chord chart example posted at the beginning, X means mute or don't play it (either is fine), which is generally a consistent meaning if the X is at the top. I have seen charts however, where the Xs were over noted fret positions which have a different meaning, something of a "tuned mute" where you place your finger were you would to fret it...but don't press down to fret it. It's still a mute...but it's a mute that's at a pitch you care about. I see this more in jazz rhythm guitar theory, but it's there (see the 2nd half of the image below).

O and nothing is the same, one is just much more explicit: Play the string w/o fretting it.

Numbers... really depend where they are. If they are on the dots themselves, or at the bottom of the diagram under each string, they are generally just hints for which fingers to use. If the number is at the top, just off to the right, it means pretend you're already that far down the fret board.

2012_09_16-15_37_10-24430.jpg

Top Bottom