What strings are a must try?

Fermin

Reaction score
Aloha, fellow forumers!

As some of you may know, where I live there is not a lot of variety of anything uke related. There is one store that carries some D'addario strings, but not all the different ones. And that's where it ends.

I went there to get a new string set and the only thing they had "for a soprano" was a Concert set of Black Nylons.

I do like the way they sound, but I feel like I want to try more before I settle. Furthermore, in a couple of months I will receive two new ukes I'm having made.

My brother lives in the US (in L.A.) and I think I'll ask him to bring me a few strings sets of different kinds when he comes for the holidays.

String choice is very personal and dependant on the sound you want, I know that, but what strings would you say "have to be tried"? My ukes are a spruce top/walnut back and sides soprano, mahogany concert, and acacia koa tenor (all solid wood; I intend to string the tenor with a low G).

On the soprano I had tried Hilos, which I wasn't particularly fond of, and two different brands of classical guitar nylon strings (the ones it came with, I believe were D'addarios, sounded pretty good, but I later tried Medina Artigas and they were a bit too plincky).

Thanks for all the recommendations!

I like Freemont Black hard and Worth Brown mediums but it's all a personal thing.

Ko'olau Alohi, Southcoast, and Living Water

I am just like all of you..i have SAS..i have every trendy string there is out there and i mean everyone! Lol..and believe it or not>> right now i like the Kamaka LowG set..i know all you guys think they are no good..but exactly why? how long did you have them on your uke before you say they were bad.. It must be my old ears i guess..

Martins, Worth CM, Aquila, and D'addario Nyltechs are worth a try.

I am about to try a set of the D'Addario's. The Worth Clears sound good but are super hard. Don't know much about the Southcoast....

yep string choice is a very personal thing and also depends on the uke in question, some one a while ago i think it was Ralf (theonlyukethatmatters) posted a really good chart which had some good ideas for strings for certain ukes,made great reading. Myself personally I love Martin M600's, i have a set of living water strings to try out next, but i defo love my martin strings

I agree it's a personal choice. I've tried GHS, Aquila, Kamaka, and D'Addario Nyltech on my different instruments. I've been really excited with what the D'Addario Nyltech strings sounded and felt like on two of them, and would suggest to anyone that they are worth trying. I thought the Kamaka strings on one of them provided "the sound" I was looking for, until I tried the Nyltech strings on it.

my faves are worth, southcoast and living water. But I also like pyramids too, and I have a set of savarez Alliances which are incredible. Next for me to try out is the Martins... Tell ya what I don't like...aquilas. :p

I'm with eugene on the worths, living water and southcoasts. All my top ukes are currently strung with savarez alliance and they might be the winner. I have some Guadalupe strings on order that I'd like to try on my all mahogany concert. They are local here in LA and maybe your brother can hook up with them. They customize with color if you want which is fun.

PhD or Southcoast G650

Eugene is rarely off the mark. He's not now either. Most florocarbons are fantastic. I prefer Worth browns, but that's me.

Martin M600s are the bee's knees. I also have Living Water's on a pineapple, and I really really really really like them, but I don't luuuurve them like I do the Martins.

Top Bottom