PDA

View Full Version : COMPASS ROSE, Sycamore and Cedar Tenor, Custom For Sale

bobmyers
09-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Price Reduction $1300 firm, buyer pays Paypal fees or Money order. See page two for more Pics". Hi, For sale, reluctantly, in order to finance my next adventure, is my custom made Rick Turner Compass Rose Tenor. Unbelievable to see and play, this Sycamore and Red Cedar custom plays even better.
Currently strung with Southcoast linear (low G) with two flatwound strings.
The uke is pristine , as new , not a mark on it, completed early in 2012. The sound is heavenly and I would put it up against anything in its price range. The sound is warm and bright even if that sounds like a contradiction, if you play you know what I mean, tremendous sustain, huge volume and great intonation.
I am asking $1300, Final and firm, for this custom beauty in hard case, you pay Payapl fee, I pay delivery, in CONUS. Please PM me with any your questions and requests for more pics.
Thanks for looking,
Bob Myers

Stevelele
09-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Wow, you're selling this, too? You must be buying the louis vuitton devine!

gyosh
09-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I'll be getting a Compass Rose soon and I was wondering how did switching to the G650's affect the sound? Those are the strings I plan on using too. Thank you.

hawaii 50
09-15-2012, 02:13 PM
I'll be getting a Compass Rose soon and I was wondering how did switching to the G650's affect the sound? Those are the strings I plan on using too. Thank you.

hey Gary i am still waiting for mine..when is yours ready..i just PM'd you

bobmyers
09-15-2012, 02:17 PM
You will love them they make your uke a different instrument. So easy on the fingers and sound clear as a bell.
Bob

mds725
09-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Beautiful instrument! I just spoke to Rick last week about a custom CR for me, possibly out of some exciting wood he recently got. Good luck with your sale!

gyosh
09-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Beautiful instrument! I just spoke to Rick last week about a custom CR for me, possibly out of some exciting wood he recently got. Good luck with your sale!

Sequoia top?

Hippie Dribble
09-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Stunning instrument Bob. Sorry you have to sell it on. I truly wish I had the cash. Sycamore and cedar sounds like a great combination.

mds725
09-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Sequoia top?

Possibly. It looked really nice with walnut on the ukulele Rick was making at WCUF. Or maybe black acacia. This one I'll really have to save up for, though. Is yours still incubating?

bobmyers
09-16-2012, 02:40 AM
Red Cedar top was all that was ordered.
Bob

jesatl13
09-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Beautiful uke, Bob.

bobmyers
09-17-2012, 02:27 AM
Price Reduction
I am dropping price to $1600 but buyer pays Paypal fees or money orders up front . I'll pay shipping.
Bob

bobmyers
09-19-2012, 01:53 AM
bump
thanks, bob

bobmyers
09-21-2012, 04:13 AM
Hi All,
More pictures taken outside to give a more accurate color rendition and a little sharper. Checking round a new one from stock is about $1500 without case and shipping if in stock most are out. a custom made as this one will run quite a bit more and take at least 4 months. Here is your chance to get a flawless 2012 custom model in hard case delivered for $1300 firm, you pay Paypal fees or money order.
If this doesn't do the trick I will take it elsewhere.
Thanks For Looking.
Bob Myers

bobmyers
09-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Bump, make offers.
Bob

bobmyers
09-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Bump, How does $1300 firm sound, delivered, I'm looking to close this soon. It's a steal at this price.
Bob

bobmyers
09-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Bump, With all the viewings, what is it you don't like, this is an awesome instrument? Virtually in new condition, and drop dead gorgeous.
Bob

Doc_J
09-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Bump, With all the viewings, what is it you don't like, this is an awesome instrument? Virtually in new condition, and drop dead gorgeous.
Bob

If I didn't already have a wonderful Compass Rose tenor, I would have bought yours.

Maybe put out a sound sample to show how great your CR sounds. That would get anyone off of the fence.

specialk13
09-29-2012, 10:42 AM
That's a nice looking uke, I haven't tried anything out of sycamore. How would you describe the tone compared to mahogany?

I think asking the buyer to pay the PayPal fees is against their policy, might want to check on that.

mds725
09-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Bob

To specifically answer your question -- I'm interested in Compass Rose. I got to play one of Rick's when I took his uke building class, and I've played a few at Gryphon Strings. This one is undoubtedly gorgeous, but for me personally, I don't think I'd buy a Compass Rose without having the chance to play it first, unless I custom ordered it from Rick. They all sound a little different, and without the benefit of deciding with Rick how to build mine in order to get the sound I want, I'd have to play it to see if it was what I was looking (and listening) for. If I were near where you lived, I'd have asked by now whether I could test drive it. No knock at all on the ukulele, which is beautiful. Just how I approach buying an ukulele like that.

Hippie Dribble
09-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Bob
hi Bob, do you have the facility for doing a short video sound and visual demo? I have often done this in the past and I am sure it helps in selling. Even if you just sit and sing a song in front of the camera may be a good good thing. As for me, there's nothing about it I don't like, I simply can't afford it!

bobmyers
09-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Ok, Thanks for your feed back, I will try to get a sound sample up by tomorrow. As far as where Sycamore compares to the tone of other tone woods, see MM website, both MM and I agree it is not as warm as Koa but in the same sound range as Mahogany and Myrtle, I think with the Cedar top though, it is quite warm. It's strung now with Southcoast 650's and they are not a quite string, and be ready for linear, low G sound.
My only problem with a sound sample is I'm a crummy singer and a pretty good strummer, all my songs are vocals. I'll try to sing real low so the uke shines through.
Thanks Again Bob

Student-of-Life
09-29-2012, 02:13 PM
hi Bob, do you have the facility for doing a short video sound and visual demo? I have often done this in the past and I am sure it helps in selling. Even if you just sit and sing a song in front of the camera may be a good good thing. As for me, there's nothing about it I don't like, I simply can't afford it!

Sound samples usually push me over the edge to buy if I can afford it. "If" being the operative word. :( Anyway it's a beautiful uke and at a GREAT PRICE ! Good luck with the sale.

bobmyers
09-29-2012, 03:25 PM
I can provide a sound clip to anyone who requests one and sends me their e-mail address. The only recording device I have is a Sansa clip and although I can download it to my computer and attach it to e-mail, whenever I try to upload the file to UU it claims its an illegal file. There must be a way but I can't figure it.
Bob Myers

CTurner
09-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Bob, that is a beautiful uke. I'm sure there is someone who will go for it, the sound file should help. Anything with Southcoast strings sounds like a quality choice to me! : ) If I wasn't saving up for a custom I'd be seriously sweating this one. Good Luck.

OldePhart
09-29-2012, 06:12 PM
I can provide a sound clip to anyone who requests one and sends me their e-mail address. The only recording device I have is a Sansa clip and although I can download it to my computer and attach it to e-mail, whenever I try to upload the file to UU it claims its an illegal file. There must be a way but I can't figure it.
Bob Myers

Easiest thing to do is go to soundcloud.com - you can get a free account and upload the file there, then post a link to it here. That's really the better way to go than YouTube for sound samples anyway because YouTube's processing and compression sometimes buries the finer nuances in the audio.

John

bobmyers
10-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks all folks, I just sold it to a very happy person. Ron lives in Florida, lucky him, and was able to travel to my abode in about an hour (lucky me). He played it and I watched his face, I new he was sold, and he felt as I, that this was a magnificent instrument and its maker humbles us all ( as players).

Thanks,
Bob Myers