Best looking soprano and sound for a reasonable price

aehalt

Reaction score
Im looking for a soprano that blows me away visually. I know that sound should be the ultimate priority.... But I want to see something that gives me UAS. Standard sopranos usually only have 12 frets but extended fret sopranos would also be acceptable and preferable. Thanks!

My price range is below 500$

In your price range, and given that appearance is your primary focus, I think the KA-ASAC-S Soprano ukulele is nice as is the Ohana SK-35G, although the latter is around $550.00 (almost in your range). Other nice looking ukuleles in the range are the Big Island KRP-SPF, Nalu Hokua, and the Kamoa 500-SV. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Check out the UU marketplace. There's a Koaloha soprano that's up for $400. It may not have the extra frets and there are more visually stunning ukes out there, but I don't think anyone will disagree that they sound stunning!

And at that price it's a steal!

Talk to Mike at Uke Republic, Sailor Brand is 14 frets to the body, 19 overall. A basic soprano is $299, with the other $200, you could get some nice upgrades. He offers different bindings, ebony fretboard and bridge, your choice of top back and sides, pegheads, rosette options, and even get your name inlayed on the neck. I have a tenor 6 string from him and I couldn't be more pleased.

I agree the Pono option that GKK suggested is a lovely looking uke. I also agree with BIGDB in his assessment of the KoAloha ukes' appearance...I think it's the soundhole shape and the headstock that does it for me.

Another possible option for you is Bruko...they will build you a custom uke for around 300 bucks in your choice of woods...mahogany, maple, walnut and a range of more rarely used woods. The adornments are generally subtle but very pretty

here's a couple of longneck sopranos in stock right now that may interest you...

walnut: http://www.brueko.de/shop/product_i...d-Back.html&XTCsid=4be7pnru34es8c4vgngsrks2i2

maple: http://www.brueko.de/shop/product_i...d-Back.html&XTCsid=4be7pnru34es8c4vgngsrks2i2

You can also get a nice Black Bear sop for less than $500, though it wouldn't be blinged out.

Check the Elderly Instruments website too...

here's a nice Kala, or maybe this Kamoa. So many choices for you! Whatever you decide, happy shopping! :)

Kiwaya KTS-4 . Great ukulele .

Everyone regards his uke as the most beautiful.

I'll 2nd the Bruko. Great ukuleles at an even better price. I love both of mine. A custom job is very well priced and they have a ton of different wood choices. Mr. Pfeiffer is a wonderful man and very kind and helpful. The stories you hear abot him remind you of the stories you hear about Hawaiian builders, lots of ohana.

For that budget, don't overlook Covered Bridge ukes.

Looks - Pono Sound - KoAloha (probably)

PS: Check out the new Ohana sinker redwood topped rosewood model coming out soon.

Last edited:
For that budget, don't overlook Covered Bridge ukes.

Looks - Pono Sound - KoAloha (probably)

PS: Check out the new Ohana sinker redwood topped rosewood model coming out soon.
I agree Phil, a Covered Bridge would be awesome, but at this point they're not doing sopranos, only concert and tenor...

I'm torn because I like the soprano size but I actually play up to fret 15 pretty regularly so maybe a concert would be more worth my while.

I'm torn because I like the soprano size but I actually play up to fret 15 pretty regularly so maybe a concert would be more worth my while.
concerts are a good choice because you have more fret room but still maintain something of the traditional soprano voicing. Or maybe a longneck soprano, then you get the best of both worlds, a soprano tone with the more room for your fingers

I would suggest that you sample as many ukulele brands as you can. Because the ukulele that is the best looking and sounds the best is the one that makes YOU the happiest.

Top Bottom