Band Names, and Your Role in the Band?

buddhuu

Super Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this has been done before, but...

Those of you who play in bands, what is your band called, what kind of music do you play, what's the line up and what is/are your role(s)?

My current band is 'The Inexcusable String Band'. Anyone who's heard us will know why. For those too young to get the gag, there was, many years ago, a group named 'The Incredible String Band'.

I do vocals, guitar, mandolin, fiddle, 'ukulele and tin whistle. There are four of us and we mix up various combinations of vocals, guitar, bass, percussion and the other instruments listed above.

Repertoire is folk, blues, rock, ballads, reggae, soul etc.

So, come on. What do you do?

Harrison Street Ukulele Players....I play Uke and sing. We do weddings, funerals, tiki huts, private parties etc...we stay pretty busy around the Chicago area..we do Tin Pan, Beatles, and Hawaiian of course!

FC Ukulele, concert uke, bass uke, electric uke & vocals! We play in central Scotland and DI everything from 40s jazz to current chart music!

Myself, my brother and sister play together when we're all in the same place as 'Quivering Sphincter and the Foreign Objects'. Naturally we play unplugged. I play bodhran, vocals and now starting to bring some uke in.

SideKicks
I play ukulele, my 8 year old plays guitar and my 6 year old plays percussion/keyboards. The youngest loves soccer and came up with the name when he was thinking of "soccer phrases". He didn't appreciate that it had another meaning, which of course made it all the better. Here we are at an open mic where we played Joshua Fought the Battle and Shady Grove.
Halftone.jpg

Out here in the San Diego area, I commonly get a call to show up and play Hawai'ian and island music with musicians I've never met. If there's no itinerary, I have no clue as to the name of the group or songs to be performed. Since I play by ear, that's a non issue. Three of us performed unrehearsed at the clubhouse of a 55+ community for their annual luau in Encinitas, California. We had a half dozen hula dancers which always helps. When asked the name of our "band" I replied "Calvin and the Cruizers". My friend Calvin Tom invited me to play this gig. Kani ka pila style. Ric

My Wednesday evening Hawaiian music ukulele class has been performing as the J-Town Hui. The group takes its name from the fact that the class meets in San Francisco's Japantown.

If I had my own band, I'd want to call it Buffy Needs Backup(TM), especially if we had a female lead singer, after a comic moment in the musical episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer ("Once More With Feeling") that appears in the video posted below from about 1:00 to 1:07.

The last band I was in about 2 years ago, I was the drummer (let the flaming begin!). We were rehearsing several times a week but still didn't have a name. After one rehearsal, the bass player said "That sounded better than yesterday", and we decided that Better Than Yesterday would be our name.

We mainly played 60's, 70's and 80's main stream rock.

Cheers
Darren

The last band I was in about 2 years ago, I was the drummer (let the flaming begin!). We were rehearsing several times a week but still didn't have a name. After one rehearsal, the bass player said "That sounded better than yesterday", and we decided that Better Than Yesterday would be our name.

We mainly played 60's, 70's and 80's main stream rock.

Cheers
Darren

Great name. It reminded me of a bit on Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update a while back, when the anchor (I believe it may have been David Spade) announced that the sixth spot in this week's top ten song list was occupied by a group called Better Than Ezra. Then he said, "In seventh place? Ezra."

Last edited:
The Ukulele Cowboy Society. Our logo and website are below in my signature. We play jazz and swing standards from 1900 to about 1960. Some Western Swing as well. Main influences are Billie Holiday, Gershwins, Cole Porter, Judy Garland. I play Baritone Ukulele. My wife, Jesse, is a jazz vocalist and plays percussion. She also plays Tenor ukulele sometimes as well. We play bars, clubs, festivals, restaurants, and also an occasional retirement community.

Mike

decaturcomp and I play together privately on a regular basis, usually with another friend who plays fiddle and guitar - both of us switch between ukulele and guitar. We've had one somewhat official gig at an Hawaiian BBQ place here in Atlanta, with plans to do some more this fall.... we don't have a name, maybe so no one knows what to yell at us to tell us to get off stage......

I used to be the lead guitarist in a band called "Live Sex and Free Beer"

We used to get a lot of people come to our gigs based purely on expectations. They were invariably disappointed.

Flip Flops

Loco Moco

Da Odda Guys

I'm supposed to be in the Coconut Humus, but I've never been to a performance, nor a practice session! :)

Ukulele and vocals in each of the 'Bands'

keep uke'in' everybody,

I'm the uke player/anything else player/producer in The Rocking Dodars. If you speak Swedish, you might get where that name comes from. The band is myself, my husband Anders, and Joeybug. We didn't know what our name should be, and she started joking about how crazy Swedish looks to her. She was in Sweden and saw this pack of cigs and thought the warning label said Rocking Dodar. Anders is a Swedish-speaking Finn and so I know a little Swedish as well, and that struck us as hilarious! The pack of cigs actually says Rökning dodar: smoking kills. Joey and I instantly picked it up as a group name, and Anders - being the avid pipe smoker he is, loved it. So we're The Rocking Dodars!

So far we only have one song, but the next one is mostly done. Watch out folks Joey's got a proper mic on the way, and she can do some killer vocals. Nice deep low voice. :) - but broken pelvis, I want her to lay off vocals for a bit.

A few years ago...well, six or seven now, I guess, I fronted a little gospel trio for a while. We jokingly called ourselves "The Backwoods Brothers." Not really a paying gig, just played nursing homes and what have you, mostly.

Currently I play bass in our church's worship band. We don't have a name, though I've recommended Joyful Noiz... :)

I fronted the band last Sunday while our Worship pastor was out and quickly found out how far my vocal range has collapsed since I've stopped singing regularly. I had to discard several of the songs I wanted to do because I just couldn't get up there anymore. Wasn't quite as rusty on guitar as I'd feared, though - at least I can still bang out three chords on the ole acoustic, anyway. :)

John

decaturcomp and I play together privately on a regular basis, usually with another friend who plays fiddle and guitar - both of us switch between ukulele and guitar. We've had one somewhat official gig at an Hawaiian BBQ place here in Atlanta, with plans to do some more this fall.... we don't have a name, maybe so no one knows what to yell at us to tell us to get off stage......

Heh, heh. I recall reading an interview with Ian Anderson years ago where he claimed that Jethro Tull was so bad when they were starting out that they kept changing their name every week to get gigs because they never got call backs. Jethro Tull (a guy who'd invented a plow or something) was the name they were using the first time they got a call back. Don't know if it's true, but it's sure a good story...

John

I play upright bass and sing tenor in a bluegrass band called STRING TIES. That's a play on words about the ties that Lester Flatt, Earl Scruggs and the Foggy Mountain Boys wore. If you aren't familiar with them, think Colonel Sanders Chicken. We do not wear string ties. There is also fiddle, guitar and banjo. We play private parties, local concert venues and festivals.
Our fiddle player set up a Face Book page for us. Like us at "String Ties Bluegrass Band".

Bill

Top Bottom