Kamoa vs Pono

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but both of these brands appear to be a foreign outsourced product from a respected manufacturer. As I'll be on Kauai in a couple of weeks, I thought I'd go take a look at the Kamoa Ukes. How do people rate them ? I'm thinking particularly of the 700-T

Oh yeah...has anyone tried the Kamoa KB-T, which doesn't seem much more expensive than the 700-T, which surprises me when you consider you're comparing a Far East built Uke with one hand-made on Kauai.

Yeah i have just come across the Kamoa's as well i really like the 500SV, but a bit pricey, doesnt seem to be many suppliers in the UK either :( think i will keep dreaming of a vintage martin :) have a great trip mate.

Oh yeah...has anyone tried the Kamoa KB-T, which doesn't seem much more expensive than the 700-T, which surprises me when you consider you're comparing a Far East built Uke with one hand-made on Kauai.

Yes, I have a Kamoa Kauai Built tenor. I like it very much, though the action is a little higher than I prefer. Sound wise, it is comparable to my Kamaka or Kanilea.

You can see my thread on it here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...4138-New-Uke-week-Kamoa-Kauai-Built-koa-tenor

I have never played a Pono so I can't compare them, but I do enjoy my Kamoa ukes. When you go, be sure to check the stock at both the Kapa'a and Koloa locations. There was a gorgeous one at the Kapa'a location the last time I was there.

Cheers folks. I love the look of the Kamoa 700-T, but a grand seems a mite expensive to me for what they seem to be.

whew....can you lend me a few hundred bucks....okay since I am asking, a grand will do....LOL

I had a $400 Kamoa 500 series soprano from Elderly earlier this year, it was so-so, sound-wise and for build, so I returned it and got a KoAloha soprano for a hundred bucks more. Much better. The upper end Kamoas, in my mind, are too close in price to the tried and true other K brands (and "baby K brands", ike Pono).

Pono is fair sounding on smaller ukes (in my opinion), but exemplary for tenor sized ukuleles.

Resale is only a minor factor, but FYI: Resale on KoAloha best, Pono next best, Kamoa, poor. This is from looking at past enthusiasm on the UU Marketplace for Kamoa instruments.

Play the Kauai built, the 500 and the 700 series back to back (to back) in Kapaa and I think you'll settle on the 500 series unless you want the tiger striped wood.

Sam played them for me while I turned my back and I chose one of the 500 series.

I'm a big fan of spruce tops though, so that may have influenced my not liking the Kauai built as much as the other two.

I also fell in love with the Pono cutaway spruce topped, rosewood back/sides tenor they had at HMS. That sounded and played great!!

Have a great trip and tell Aldrine and Aaron that James and Gary from San Jose say hi if you go see them at the Oasis or Rob's Good Time Grill.

Have a great trip and tell Aldrine and Aaron that James and Gary from San Jose say hi if you go see them at the Oasis or Rob's Good Time Grill.

I must've asked Aldrine half a dozen times or more, on Facebook and elsewhere, if he's going to be on Kauai and gigging while I'm there. He hasn't responded once. It seems he has enough free time to post pictures of his lunch, so I guess he just can't be bothered. So guess what, I'll just find something else to do.

There are two other stores worth a look if you're coming to Kauai. Kauai Music and Sound is a block south of Harry's Music in Kapaa (the Kamoa store), next to a used car lot and across the road from the Buddhist church. They have Kauai built Island Ukuleles made by Mr. Rapozo as well as a few other brands. Scotty's in Kalaheo has all the K brands and the most ukuleles. He sells a lot of instruments and will deal if you give him a chance and he has the best selection on the island.

Personally, I'm a Pono fan. If you're on Oahu for a couple of days then traveling up to Wahiawa to look at the Pono factory seconds is worth it if you want one of those. At that point HMS is six miles away with so many ukes of every size and brand that it's hard to walk around the store. On Oahu, however, I still think the factory seconds at Koaloha are the best deal for quality and sound.

I have a Kamoa E-3 pineapple, soild spruce top and solid maple back and sides. It's a nice uke for under $175.
Mine, upon arrival need a bit of dressing of the frets but other than than was set up nicely. Great tone and volume.
The fingerboard seemd slightly wider than many other sopranos I've played. I actually like the little extra room for
fingerpicking.

+1 for Scotty's, I bought my Pono there, and I got an amazing deal on it. He opened all the boxes of that model he had in the back to make sure I liked the one I bought. Ironically I ended up buying the one that was hanging on the wall, but it was nice that he let me take my time with the selection process.
I have a Pono Koa Tenor and a Kamoa GC-700 tiger maple.
The sound on both of them are superb, and build quality is excellent on both of them.
Personally, I think the Pono is better quality and it cost me less $.
I have not played a Kauai-built Kamoa though.

Have a fun trip and don't forget to get some Malasadas from the lady in front of K-Mart.

Top Bottom