New, All-Spanish Cedar, Dias Model Soprano Uke

David Newton

Reaction score
sold, thanks

Gone, thanks!
One-piece top & back, all-Spanish Cedar soprano uke, all hide glue construction. French polish shellac finish. Grover Deluxe Stat-tite tuners with Aquila Nyl-gut strings. The tone is loud and clear. Easy playing set-up & action, intonation right on.

Last edited:
What a beautiful Uke! Very elegant. I do have a question. It looks like you purposely put a gap between the fret board and top plate. Am I seeing tha right? If so, what is the purpose?

Hi icuker.
There isn't a "purpose". The fretboard is beveled back a bit there, and when the neck was fitted, the gap remained. These ukes are primitive-style, hand made, cut with a chisel, rasp & knife.

Beautiful soprano, David. I dig the "primitive-style."

What's the width at the nut? It looks wide to me, but maybe it's the angle of the shot.

Cheers.

David just made me a mahogany soprano- lightweight, and sounds like a champ!!
$$$ for a handmade custom is excellent value to cost ratio-
you wont be sorry

They are identical but for the woods.
The bridge on the Mahogany is Brazilian RW. & the nut is Ebony.

The tone is very similar, I can barely detect any difference.
I made the SC slightly thicker on top to compensate for a slightly softer wood.

David,

I was going to PM you, but then I figured other people might be interested as well:

Have you made any sopraninos?

Cheers,

Connor

Hi Connor
I have one cut up right now, though with all else on my plate, it may be a while.
It will be regular soprano scale, and not too-too tiny.
Thanks for asking.

Someone mentioned in a previous thread that their Newton soprano had a 14" (or thereabouts) scale length. Is that true of these two sopranos?

No, the gap would not put me off. Thanks for the response. I love the way you get such good work out of hand tools. Very excellent craftmanship.

On the Spanish Cedar uke, the fretboard is the neck, and the neck is Spanish Cedar.
On the all-Mahogany uke, the fretboard is a hard wood that I've forgotten the name of, "Bicuba" maybe.

Top Bottom