Baritone Question!

VaGoddess

Reaction score
Hey! I purchased a Makala Baritone Ukulele and it's a great instrument! I was wondering if it would still be useful to join UU+? Would I still benefit from Aldrines Play Alongs and lessons? Or would I have to find tutorials elsewhere?

if you play alone , the chord shapes are the same so it doesn't matter, and you can always buy strings so you can tune it like Aldrine's, then you can play along.you could play along anyway but you would have to transpose, his G chord will be your D. just look for baritone strings that are GCEA. Southcoast makes a great set , they are caLLED the Linear set, Aquilla makes a set too, and if you don't like the low D [or G], you can tune it reentrant[ your 4th string will be higher than the 3rd, not lower. hope this makes sense.
happy strumming.

Congrats on the Makala!

To play along with Aldrine (or anyone whose uke is tuned to GCEA) on a baritone tune DGBE, you can use a capo on the fifth fret.

If UU's Uke Minutes videos are helpful, you'll likely benefit from UU+ as well. Have fun!

Congratulations on your new ukulele and welcome to the world of baritone ukes. I really like the deeper and fuller voice of them in DGBE tuning. As others have mentioned, the chord shapes are the same but in a different key (the shape for a C chord on a GCEA uke results in a G chord on when played on a DGBE uke, the shape for an F chord on a GCEA uke results in a C chord on a DGBE uke, on etc.) As others have mentioned, you can play in the same key as Aldrine, who uses GCEA tuning, by either restringing your baritone to GCEA (like strumsilly, I'd recommend contacting Dirk as Southcoast (his UU username is southcoastukes, in case you want to shoot him a PM) or by using a capo at the fifth fret.

Gordon Mayer of Mya-Moe made this video about the plusses and minuses of using GCEA tuning on a baritone uke.

Have fun with your new baritone ukukele!

Congratulations on your new ukulele and welcome to the world of baritone ukes. I really like the deeper and fuller voice of them in DGBE tuning. As others have mentioned, the chord shapes are the same but in a different key (the shape for a C chord on a GCEA uke results in a G chord on when played on a DGBE uke, the shape for an F chord on a GCEA uke results in a C chord on a DGBE uke, on etc.) As others have mentioned, you can play in the same key as Aldrine, who uses GCEA tuning, by either restringing your baritone to GCEA (like strumsilly, I'd recommend contacting Dirk as Southcoast (his UU username is southcoastukes, in case you want to shoot him a PM) or by using a capo at the fifth fret.

Gordon Mayer of Mya-Moe made this video about the plusses and minuses of using GCEA tuning on a baritone uke.

Have fun with your new baritone ukukele!

Thanks for the advice!

Some new tuning machines and a bone nut and saddle, and Southcoast strings of your choice, and that Makala will sound like a way more expensive baritone.

Of course you will benefit with lessons on a regular uke.

I would suggest learning what the courses teach you on your tenor uke.
Then you can do all the things on the Baritone uke that you learned on the tenor uke, you'll just be in a different key with a deeper tone!

Since the intervals between each string are the same, with the same fingerings, all you're changing is the key that the song is played in! And that's the fun of having both GCEA and DGBE tuned ukes! You can play the same song, either high or low, same song but different feel.

I to have been looking at purchasing a Baritone Uke. I tried a few out (tuned DGBE) and (I am not musically trained, but self taught by ear and tabs) after playing with the same finger positions for the chords (on a standard GCEA), the songs I played actually sound the same as far as the chord progressions, just in lower key/tone. So, I guess the question I have is this, am I wrong to say your playing the same tune just in lower key with the same finger positions as on a tenor uke?

am I wrong to say your playing the same tune just in lower key with the same finger positions as on a tenor uke?

No, you are correct :)

Congratulations on your new Makala Baritone! I love the sound of the baritone and if you are coming from guitar you get a taste of both worlds.

Hey! I purchased a Makala Baritone Ukulele and it's a great instrument! I was wondering if it would still be useful to join UU+? Would I still benefit from Aldrines Play Alongs and lessons? Or would I have to find tutorials elsewhere?

Of course you will benefit with lessons on a regular uke.

I would suggest learning what the courses teach you on your tenor uke.
Then you can do all the things on the Baritone uke that you learned on the tenor uke, you'll just be in a different key with a deeper tone!

Since the intervals between each string are the same, with the same fingerings, all you're changing is the key that the song is played in! And that's the fun of having both GCEA and DGBE tuned ukes! You can play the same song, either high or low, same song but different feel.

Thanks a lot!

I also have the Makala baritone and I would suggest to to get some southcoast strings. I put mine on sale but after putting those strings on I am glad it didn't sell yet.
I put the heavygauge reentrant dgbe strings on and it's really a pleasure playing it, and it sounds so much better.

There also is a site called Humble Baritonics that is helpful for us baritone people.

I also have the Makala baritone and I would suggest to to get some southcoast strings. I put mine on sale but after putting those strings on I am glad it didn't sell yet.
I put the heavygauge reentrant dgbe strings on and it's really a pleasure playing it, and it sounds so much better.

Thanks! Just messaged Dirk from SouthCoast this morning!

Top Bottom