PDA

View Full Version : Old Uke Songbooks

Reichpapers
09-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Considering with older songbooks from the 20's a different tuning was popular...can you play these same songs with the gcea?

Hippie Dribble
09-18-2012, 09:40 AM
yes you surely can Reichpapers. You just need to know that all the chords on the old songsheets based on ADF#B tuning will need to be a transposed a full step up if your uke is tuned GCEA. So, for example, a C chord and an F chord would need to be played as a D chord and a G chord on your GCEA tuned uke to keep the same pitch...hope this makes sense!!!

I find that I'm constantly transposing chords, as often my voice just doesn't fit with some music that is written in some keys. The musical alphabet doesn't change so any songsheet in any key from any era can be adapted to suit your own needs as a musician and performer.

OldePhart
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
What Jon said...or, you can do like I usually do and just play the same shapes so a song originally in D is played in C, etc. This is what I usually do because the key of C fits my voice better anyway, for most songs.

John

Rubio MHS
09-18-2012, 12:57 PM
You could do it the easy way and get a ukulele capo, or just play everything a full step lower.

ichadwick
09-19-2012, 04:51 AM
As the owner of several hundred old song sheets and song books, I can answer with a simple YES.

You have two main choices: Play the shapes shown in the diagrams and ignore the key. Or play the key and ignore the diagrams.

You can also transpose, but it's a pain in the backside. Another option is to find a more modern arrangement online and compare it with the original to see if you can work out something you like, in the key you prefer.

Ken Middleton
09-19-2012, 05:17 AM
As the owner of several hundred old song sheets and song books, I can answer with a simple YES.

You have two main choices: Play the shapes shown in the diagrams and ignore the key. Or play the key and ignore the diagrams.

You can also transpose, but it's a pain in the backside. Another option is to find a more modern arrangement online and compare it with the original to see if you can work out something you like, in the key you prefer.

Great answer, Ian.